Question Has anyone built any useful Alexa Skills? (1 Viewer)

RKNSaint

Vaxxed; 2x Pfizer
Reaction score
It's taken about 4 months or so but Alexa has been a pretty nice addition to our house. Just wondering if anyone has taken the next step with custom skills and willing to share what you came up with? We have not yet but thinking it might be a good skill for my 12 year old son to acquire/pursue. Thanks.

when I moved in with my girlfriend we had the devices going on two different accounts. I had to change the name of mine to echo. It still gets confusing as hell. I was curious enough about this thread to look up the potential.

Speaking of teaching your son skills, have you ever looked into the RaspberryPi mini computers? It makes a great learning tool because you still learn about interfacing hardware to software. And for under 50 bucks you can do some very cool stuff from retro gaming systems to home security systems. I have two of them and love them. Just wish I had more time to tinker.

throw a 256 card in it and you can have one machine play every game invented up to the ps1 generation. And check out youtubes of some of the arcade machines built with these. I'm partial to the one built on top of a mini fridge that takes the space that used to be occupied by the coin apparatus.

Last edited:
What are "Alexa skills"? Seems the point of the device is to get info without a user having to even lift a finger. :idunno:

Now, if Alexa could make a roux, that might be worthwhile.

What are "Alexa skills"? Seems the point of the device is to get info without a user having to even lift a finger. :idunno:

Now, if Alexa could make a roux, that might be worthwhile.
Personalized content. Say you own an AirBnB. You can create content that Alexa can respond with to your renters. Hey Alexa where are the matches, xtra blankets, tp, etc and Alexa will provide the answer.

I use my Alexa in the bathroom to listen to news, weather and music/comedy during the morning bathroom routine. I've not really found it very useful outside of that to be honest.

Last edited:
Personalized content. Say you own an AirBnB. You can create content that Alexa can respond with to your renters. Hey Alexa where are the matches, xtra blankets, tp, etc and Alexa will provide the answer.
Can people not write notes anymore?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom