Question Has anyone built any useful Alexa Skills? (1 Viewer)

Can people not write notes anymore?
Not really. But, all things old will become new again. That is if anyone will remember how to write. We were slow to adapt to voice computers but have learned to like it. Some of the app’s are pretty silly but many are actually pretty handy. I don’t need it to change my tv channel but asking for temps, forecast, timers, are pretty dang handy. I get its not for everyone and that is ok.

i wish i could rename mine to birch instead of just amazon and echo whatever

I use my Alexa in the bathroom to listen to news, weather and music/comedy during the morning bathroom routine. I've not really found it very useful outside of that to be honest.

Also a solid way to keep "them" from listening. "Oh, Puma's on the crapper again....let's listen in and see who 49er's wife is boning today"

I am an OS engineer so I am all for technology, but I am also very against technology that connects to anything or anyone that watches my every move and records it. With Alexa, no one has control over their personal information and how it is used. Fortunately there already are some open source projects being developed right now. Unfortunately, it's going to take some time.

Maybe Vicom will work on releasing VIVA for public use.

I am an OS engineer so I am all for technology, but I am also very against technology that connects to anything or anyone that watches my every move and records it. With Alexa, no one has control over their personal information and how it is used. Fortunately there already are some open source projects being developed right now. Unfortunately, it's going to take some time.

Maybe Vicom will work on releasing VIVA for public use.

aaterm.gif

My six-year old daughter wants Alexa for Christmas. I guess the kids at school talk about it.

I ask her what she wants it for and she doesn't really have a good answer. I'm her Alexa, why does she need another one?

My six-year old daughter wants Alexa for Christmas. I guess the kids at school talk about it.

I ask her what she wants it for and she doesn't really have a good answer. I'm her Alexa, why does she need another one?
she probably wants something that she isn't embarrassed of...

I am not concerned about the privacy issue. Maybe I should be but I feel like that war has long been lost. Anyone interested in my data is pretty bored.

I’d write a skill if I could come up with a good idea.

I had an idea to write a skill to call an Uber or Lyft ride depending on which was cheaper at the moment but when I looked into it, both companies prohibited such use of their API.

Most useful skill I use is to tell it to add something to my shopping list. When my wife and I go to the store we just look up the list on our phones.

I use my brain for just about anything I could have Alexa do. I'm old school like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom