Has Anyone ever shopped around a screenplay they have written? (1 Viewer)

BourgeoisBob

Very Banned
Reaction score
I have written a very good screenplay and was wanting to know any tips for selling it. It is formatted correctly.
I am sure I will not be able to sell it to major studios or anything, but I want a very professional look to the movie.
My screenplay is entitled: "Pilgrim's Progress: The Bill Gaither Story"
At this time it is an unauthorized biopic.

I don't know what to sound uninformed, but who exactly is Bill Gaither, Bourgeois? And good luck to you in your screen play. Let me give you a piece of advice too. I have a buddy of mine who wants to be a director and producer and he goes to South along with me. these major studios have been reluctant to hire new talent or new screenwriters because if they see one of these scripts as not making enough money, it wont happen or the writer will be out of business or stonewalled. I think it very unfair but its part of the system sometimes.

My buddy told me these things and he is very active in screen plays. Good luck to you in your search. I hope it gets accepted

Thanks Saintman.
I know I will not be able to get any sort of "big" group to buy it. But I know this is a good piece of work. Maybe some regional group, just someone with enough money to do the film justice.

Have you thought about getting it screened in a film festival around here regionally? They are always looking for new independent film makers to display. I have to say though they sometimes are interested in documentaries that cause controversy like Micheal Moore and etc etc. the movie does not have to be good necessarily it just has to have the right political motives and it gets praised. I always felt that the best director was someone like Alfred Hitchcock who played with his audiences but did not make himself the star of the show like a lot of directors try to do these days in their movies to satisfy their egos and their bank accounts. Hitchcock was a film genius IMHO. He came from the back ground of old British movie making and dared to be original at the same time. He had a stage hand's perspective to him but he innovated the arts and the genre of movies far then any other person who came before him and after.

Last edited:
I need to get off my butt and work on my manuscripts... How do you sell something like this?

Joe

We do have a prolific member of the board who has mentioned that he sold a screenplay for big $$ at a young age; I'm not gonna sell him out though, if he wants he'll holler at you.

One thing I would advise you to do, knowing some people myself who are writers, is to have some friends- preferably some with writing experience- read your screenplay and encourage them to be as honest as they can with their feedback. Always helps to have outside opinions before you start shopping it around. Oh-- and, not to discourage you- but be prepared to have your *** kicked by the competition, most of whom have been dedicated to writing for years and make a full-time job out of it.

How do you know it's good. Is that based on your own opinion?

Screenplays are not my strong suit, so I really wouldn't know who to give it to. Sorry. Books on the other hand, I can get through.

Have you sent a script to Bill Gaither (I would hope so if you've written a screenplay based on his life)? I'm sure if he likes it, he's got plenty of connections.

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting a literary agent? They know how to market good material.

I have written a very good screenplay and was wanting to know any tips for selling it. It is formatted correctly.
I am sure I will not be able to sell it to major studios or anything, but I want a very professional look to the movie.
My screenplay is entitled: "Pilgrim's Progress: The Bill Gaither Story"
At this time it is an unauthorized biopic.

So I guess the story is about sluts and homosexuals running rampant across the countryside? :no:

Maybe he purposely got Very Banned to help with his street cred?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom