Has anyone had a Spinal Fusion surgery? (1 Viewer)

German dr, he was a complete crazy conspiracy theorist, gave me some Nazi German bank note as some weird souvenir, but I guess that's Thailand for you, he was right that my foot would get better afteralll, even though he spent an hour telling me about conspiracies, so there's that.

2013 I had a anterior artificial disc inserted between L4-L5-S1 and posterior LANX clamps to fuse those vertebrae. Degenerative discs that were pinching my sciatic. Best decision I have ever made.

ALIF at L5-S1 is the exact surgery I was scheduled for right when Katrina happened. My Dr passed away during Katrina ( I have no idea how). I lost a lot of weight and learned a lot about maintenance but I will still be very interested in your progress OP because who knows when I’ll be back in that boat.
So far after 1 week. Pain basically gone. Sore in stomach of course from the abdominal cut. Back very little pain. Mostly if I stay in one position too long.

I thought I’d need a Walker or cane. Haven’t used either. Fiancée has to help me out of bed during the night just cause I’m groggy. But for the most part I can do it all myself.

she’s still making my meals from our meal plan cause she doesn’t want me lifting.

all in all. I was scared at first. But best thing I’ve done (as of 1 week post op)

Also, after microdiscectomy in dec 2020. I re herniated in April 2021. Started a meal plan with a trainer. I’m down 30lbs strictly by this routine. No exercise since I couldn’t do anything. Have about 15-20lbs to go for my goal weight.

So far after 1 week. Pain basically gone. Sore in stomach of course from the abdominal cut. Back very little pain. Mostly if I stay in one position too long.

I thought I’d need a Walker or cane. Haven’t used either. Fiancée has to help me out of bed during the night just cause I’m groggy. But for the most part I can do it all myself.

she’s still making my meals from our meal plan cause she doesn’t want me lifting.

all in all. I was scared at first. But best thing I’ve done (as of 1 week post op)

Also, after microdiscectomy in dec 2020. I re herniated in April 2021. Started a meal plan with a trainer. I’m down 30lbs strictly by this routine. No exercise since I couldn’t do anything. Have about 15-20lbs to go for my goal weight.
Glad it’s working for you. They had told me I wouldn’t be allowed to do any stairs for a few weeks but the procedure has probably come a long way since then. I am happy to be controlling my issues with maintenance now but I know I’ll probably be back at that bridge eventually

They also had told me that the whole thing would be done through the stomach so I didn’t know that part about flipping over for the screws. Either that changed or I didn’t have all the facts.

I have several friends and acquaintances who've had the surgery. The outcomes (and this is pretty anecdotal) have depended on overall health prior to the surgery. My neighbor the retired college softball coach who is slim and in good health had two months limited activity though he walked around the neighborhood with a walker. He's good as new now except limited ROM when bending. The key is therapy and maintaining activity as tolerated.

Good luck to you in your continued recovery, let us know how it goes. I'll come be your personal therapist for traveling expenses, a hotel room, and beer. Lots of beer :ezbill:

Last Thursday I had an ALIF spinal fusion. For those unfamiliar. The A means anterior which means the cut through the stomach to get the bad disc out and implant a titanium “cage” in its place, and attach a bone graft. Then see you up, flip you over and cut your back to insert 4 screws, and 2 rods in the vertebrae.

I spent 2 nights in the hospital, but ever since I got home I’ve gotten better and better.

Just curious if anyone else has experience in it?
Man, not sure how old ya are but I injured my back in airborne and again building pools years later. Was told I needed surgery. Went to the VA and a vet told advised me that he had it years ago and wanted to still be active somewhat in shape and the problem just moved up his spine. Now he has no movement. I walked out. My back got better. I still have occasional problems but as long as I stay active, work on my core, front and back....no issues.
I was told if you are young and/or still want to be active don't do it till ya have no choice. I was 25 at the time....43 now.

Just my experience

Man, not sure how old ya are but I injured my back in airborne and again building pools years later. Was told I needed surgery. Went to the VA and a vet told advised me that he had it years ago and wanted to still be active somewhat in shape and the problem just moved up his spine. Now he has no movement. I walked out. My back got better. I still have occasional problems but as long as I stay active, work on my core, front and back....no issues.
I was told if you are young and/or still want to be active don't do it till ya have no choice. I was 25 at the time....43 now.

Just my experience
I’m 33. They said I can be active just limited. No more running, not many free weights at gyms. Just gotta change your way of life.
Of course I know a girl that had it around 29 and she’s 37 doing CrossFit.
I’m gonna just walk and swim.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom