Has anyone had their DNA tested through Ancestry.Com ? (1 Viewer)

KCWhoDat

Formerly known as Saints4ever
Reaction score
Kansas City, MO and anywhere my company sends me.
I've been thinking about doing it since there isn't a lot known about my family. Father grew up in an orphanage and my mom says her family walked "The Trail of Tears back in the day. I was just wondering how accurate it was or if if it's just kind of a general test ? Their are a few that were rated better than ancestry but who knows. I'm gonna give it a shot. If anyone has done it what did you think of it ?

Yep, this thread includes posts from a few who have. My post from the thread:

I've done Ancestry, 23andMe, and exported autosomal analysis with FamilyTreeDNA. All have varied ethnicity estimates that are roughly in line with what I know from supposed ancestry records (all but one line dated prior to 1800 or to origin country).

AncestryDNA:
36% Ireland
30% Europe West (France, Germany, surrounding countries)
27% Great Britain
2% Scandinavia
2% Italy/Greece
1% Iberian Peninsula
<1% European Jewish
<1% Africa North

These certainly aren't exact since my mother's AncestryDNA test had 2% Native American (unknown ancestry) and father's test had 15% Italian (in line with supposed ancestry).

23andMe:
47.7% British and Irish
23.8% Broadly Northwestern European
20.2% French and German
2.6% Scandinavian
1.9% Broadly Southern European
1.8% Broadly Eropean
0.7% Eastern Eropean
0.6% Iberian
0.2% Native American
0.2% Broadly East Asian and Native American
0.1% Broadly East Asian
<0.1% Yakut

4% Neanderthal, 303 variants, greater than 86% of users

Maternal haplogroup >38,000 years old originated in Near East/Europe

Paternal haplogroup 17,000 years old originated in Europe/Northern Ireland

FamilyTreeDNA:
36% British Isles
34% Scandinavia
23% Western and Central Europe
7% Ashkenazi Diaspora

Sites like Promethease are useful for analyzing health data from your exported DNA test data.

You will very likely find cousins (or possibly closer) from your father's family on Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA. I have multiple 2nd and 3rd cousin matches including some that I already know/knew of (plus parent matches at Ancestry).

Ancestry is a good starting point for genetic genealogy. You'll definitely get some clues on general ethnicity and are likely to find some cousin connections that might help you trace more recent ancestry.

Yep, this thread includes posts from a few who have. My post from the thread:

Ancestry is a good starting point for genetic genealogy. You'll definitely get some clues on general ethnicity and are likely to find some cousin connections that might help you trace more recent ancestry.

Cracka

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom