Has Anyone Heard About A Truckers Strike At Midnightonight? (1 Viewer)

The news said a lot of truckers plan to strike tomorrow to protest the ever-increasing cost of gasoline/diesel.

It'll be interesting to see if it has any impact because the planned "don't buy gas" days planned over the past couple of years have had zero impact.

Thanks Fiyo,IF these guys get it together it won't be long before it will be felt and something done about it.I feel for those guys being as I use to drive in my younger days along the Gulf Coast.
S.C.

Thanks Fiyo,IF these guys get it together it won't be long before it will be felt and something done about it.I feel for those guys being as I use to drive in my younger days along the Gulf Coast.
S.C.

Yup it would be felt quickly as this is a big country mostly built on keeping things moving. But I am not sure what would be done about it. Diesel is over 4 bucks here in Greensboro now in at least three places I have passed. Cost of living is pretty huge these days.

"Sailors of the Concrete Sea" said J. Cash.

This one trucker on NPR said something to the effect that "Trucking is the one industry that can shut this country down like a switch." I believe it.

Could hurt themselves...

Mexican trucks allowed in the country now,lots of people looking for jobs, a train industry which is more fuel efficient than trucks( per ton hauled) and looking to cut in the long haul market. both of these would put a serious hurting on truckers if they give an inch.

Could hurt themselves...

Mexican trucks allowed in the country now,lots of people looking for jobs, a train industry which is more fuel efficient than trucks( per ton hauled) and looking to cut in the long haul market. both of these would put a serious hurting on truckers if they give an inch.

Mexican trucking is only allowed in the US on a limited basis under a pilot program that will expire in Sept. Only 25 Mexican trucking companies have been certified to drive in the US. Those numbers are not going to go up quickly enough to replace independent truckers if they do manage to put the brakes on the freight industry.

Mexican trucking is only allowed in the US on a limited basis under a pilot program that will expire in Sept. Only 25 Mexican trucking companies have been certified to drive in the US. Those numbers are not going to go up quickly enough to replace independent truckers if they do manage to put the brakes on the freight industry.

Correct..I should have said limited basis. But if these guys go on strike how soon do you think limited wont be so limited. Again.. when you have a straggle hold on a sector like shipping you dont go on a multi-company strike. which could give your potential competitors who wont abide by the strike a foot in the door. BUT since most of these guys talking strike are owner-operators and not big companies, whats makes sense business-wise isnt being considered.

It's been on CNN this morning... Seems that they are trying, but it's coming down to a few issues.. One - It's a little disoprginized, and two - Most of the truckers have to move to get paid, they can;t afford to sit idle.

Joe

A friend of mine who drives trucks just called me about 20 minutes ago and told me I should go fill up on gas today and buy some extra food to store, so.......:shrug:

A friend of mine who drives trucks just called me about 20 minutes ago and told me I should go fill up on gas today and buy some extra food to store, so.......:shrug:

gas should be cheaper if demand is lower (well, thats what is supposed to happen anyway )

gas should be cheaper if demand is lower (well, thats what is supposed to happen anyway )

There wont be anybody to bring new gas to the stations when they run out though. Assuming they stage a large scale, well organized strike, which IMO wont happen.

My understanding is that the beef with the truckers is that the cargo brokers are not passing along the fuel surcharges they are charging shippers.

So any further news on this? Any chance this turns into something really big that will last more than just a couple of days?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom