Has anyone tried fasting for weight loss? (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'm not overweight per se (well, according to my BMI I am at 185) but I'm trying to cut some weight with my ideal weight being 170-175. Originally I was going to go hardcore with it because i've been in ketosis before and I get pretty amazing energy out of it, but it takes at least 48 hours of no eating for me to get into that phase. Plus the thought of not eating for a day is outrageous to me. Anyway I'm on day 4. My current setup is starting the day off with a big pot of coffee and sipping on that at least until lunch and drinking a good bit of water all day until about 9 pm when i'll eat a hearty meal. Without caffeine I couldn't do this, that's the only caveat haha.

The main thing about my only meal was realizing that I cannot sleep hungry, nor do I want to. I think I could still eat out a few times a week and be fine just because of the other two meals I'm cutting out. Skipping just breakfast or lunch I think can cause one to overeat in those 2 meals, effectively cancelling out any progression you'd want.

I don't overdo it with the meal either, usually just a full plate of meats and veggies with a side of yogurt and fruit after. I was at 190 before and have lost 5 pounds (probably all water weight) already, and feel really good. I notice that I'll get really hungry around lunch but if I can hold off until early afternoon it subsides. It's definitely one of those things i'll have to try for months before I can fully say I've adapted it and am successful with it, but I'm liking it so far.

Has anyone ever tried fasting of any kind or any other more nontraditional (in the modern sense) methods of weight loss?

yes and successfully. it requires a lot of patience the first few weeks, but like most things, it gets to be a natural part of life.

unfortunately, i can't do it right now because of a few medications. i get too nauseous when i try.

this was intermittent fasting (i was doing 3-4 days a week, after starting with 2).

we have a huge thread about it (I will link)

and yes many of us have. I reached weight I have not been at since I was 18 (some 20 something years ago. Ok a few more)

Fasting sounds better than "skipping a meal".

Go to your favorite BMI calculator.
Calculate how many calories you need to maintain your desired weight living a sedentary life.
Subtract 500 calories off than number.
Eat that many calories daily any way you want.

Cutting some pages.. There is like a 16-8 fast... Where you eat normal for 8 hours... like at 9am, noon, then 5 pm.. and then not eat again until 9am... So that ok to eat for 8 hours of the day, and then you don;t for 16 hours.. or something like that...

But I call it drunk fasting.. You get to drinking and don't eat and the next day you are a couple pounds lighter. ;)

Ive said this in the other thread but for me one of the biggest keys to it is cutting off your evening eating in time for your stomach to completely empty before you fall asleep. This is the only way I know of to not wake up hungry. So in this way it was easier for me to only eat between 12pm to 3pm or 4pm. (on my work schedule I wake at 4 am so I go to bed around 9) Now that has shifted and I eat generally between 2 and 4 in the afternoon.

I've done a lot of different things including fasting which i found wasn't really for me but sometimes i still do a 1 meal day by accident mostly. I was about 245 ish and not happy at all but i used to love running when i was a kid, so that's what i started doing and i got all the way down about 175 using different methods fasting or just running as much as i could or alternating between both. The thing was when i got to say 175 i noticed i still had a lot of belly fat and it bugged me honestly i took a long break from exercising and eventually found myself at about 200lb. I did more research and it sounds like lifting weights was the key to getting to where i wanted to be so nowadays i run 5 mi and lift weights before that usually but i feel like it's starting to get me looking like how i want to anyway. I also take a diet pill i found on amazon thermo xt it gives me a lot of energy for my long runs and suppresses my appetite. I usually don't do the fasting thing much but keep a close eye on my calories to know i'm not overdoing it, but i know fasting works too for some people i usually eat twice a day though.

Not eating to lose weight is called Anorexia.

Just eat healthy and work out. Calories in, calories out.

Tonight I was reminded of another important thing. Listen to your damn body. Fasting does not make you feel run down and tired. If anything it actually energies you, it sure does me. But I have been running the last 4 days and around 530 I went downhill really bad and felt downright sick. I broke the fast and made some eggs and sausage. I think my body was just telling me it wasn’t getting enough nutrition because I fell 100 percent better. It’s not a time to be stressing your body too terribly much.

it’s easier to say this than to think that maybe we have overused that word and that we may have sometimes been chauvinistic in its use against some people eating in a fashion that people have been practicing since recorded history began.

it’s even harder to say that it might not necessarily fit into our black and white way of thinking. That there are real eating disorders but that it might take a doctor to diagnose them in some cases.

Check out The Science of Fasting doc on the thread mentioned above. Only about an hour long. Really interesting. That’s a good thread, as well.

Tonight I was reminded of another important thing. Listen to your damn body. Fasting does not make you feel run down and tired. If anything it actually energies you, it sure does me. But I have been running the last 4 days and around 530 I went downhill really bad and felt downright sick. I broke the fast and made some eggs and sausage. I think my body was just telling me it wasn’t getting enough nutrition because I fell 100 percent better. It’s not a time to be stressing your body too terribly much.

I usually wake up at 10am and having eaten the night before something but run without breakfast. I don't think i would go do some physical activity without having eaten in 24 hours or something i think i tried that before and almost passed out.

I usually wake up at 10am and having eaten the night before something but run without breakfast. I don't think i would go do some physical activity without having eaten in 24 hours or something i think i tried that before and almost passed out.

yes that can happen. But you get used to that. Drinking a lot of coffee on empty stomach would normally make me sick as well but I’m well over that. I think I just didn’t have enough to rebuild what I am tearing down. All I know for sure though is that the eating helped big time.

it’s easier to say this than to think that maybe we have overused that word and that we may have sometimes been chauvinistic in its use against some people eating in a fashion that people have been practicing since recorded history began.

it’s even harder to say that it might not necessarily fit into our black and white way of thinking. That there are real eating disorders but that it might take a doctor to diagnose them in some cases.

Cavemen didn't fast, though. They foraged for small plants, grains, and fruits as well as other various living things between hunts/kills.

Look, intermittent fasting is one thing (eating one very large meal per day). Literal fasting for multiple days is crazy.

Calories in, calories out. It's all math.

Cavemen didn't fast, though. They foraged for small plants, grains, and fruits as well as other various living things between hunts/kills.

Look, intermittent fasting is one thing (eating one very large meal per day). Literal fasting for multiple days is crazy.

Calories in, calories out. It's all math.

I agree with you on calories in/out. And I wasn’t really including cavemen although I guess they did record in their way. And I could not see myself personally doing it but I can’t call a person doing it for religious or asceticism purposes crazy without the benefit of seeing from their perspective, what they got from it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom