Has Sr.com helped your overall debating skills (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Look, I have been here off and on for about 8-9 years now and one thing I have noticed about this forum, SSF board, the EE board especially is that their are a lot of posters and members on the board that have excellent debating skills and good arguments that flow very well. My question to the members of the board overall is: Does a place like Sr.com help you debate better on the issues facing us today or were you always good at debating these things.

Because I for a long time was not good at debating, I thought I was good until I came here and really got my clock cleaned on more then a few occasions on issues that got really heated and excited.

Does Sr.com also I may add make you a better poster gradually, are their still things you can learn from here?

Just wanted your input on this. I think a lot of the political posters on here are excellent at rhetoric and logistics types of argumentation. Its take some time to learn that type of debating from my educational experiences.

Not really. I was already a master debater before coming to Sr.com

Yes, at least a bit, it also made me more open minded and objective.

Yes, at least a bit, it also made me more open minded and objective.

QFT!

I have definitely broadened my horizons by being a member of SR.com. It's good for everyone to hear different points of view from people in different parts of the country, and the world for that matter.

Also, having access to opinions from people in different stages of life, and career fields you may not have regular access to is of great benefit. (if you're willing to listen!)

Between SR and the Infidels board, I'd say "Yes, quite a bit."

Thinking through your positions and putting them into words, seeing the counterpoints and perspectives of others does a world of good for one's debating skills and education in general.

barnacle.gif

I'll debate something, but I won't get tangled in the arguments that ensue shortly afterwards. That's one thing I have learned from this experience here. I'm also turned off by the way people turn a debate into a insult fest that relegates an otherwise legit debate into a defensive struggle. When someone is forced into being defensive, the premise of the debate goes to the wayside and tangents fly too far away from the original focus.

Here, I have given myself an ongoing test of my ability to remain thoughtful and humble in nature and always an open mind. After LSU won the BCS Championship however, I went into a temporary cocky mode, which I allowed because it's not often that my team wins. Let's just say I savoured in the moment.

Even though I'll still read a decent amount of links provided, I do get turned off by the bombardment of links to back a side, which in turn, is countered by another bombardment of links to back the other side. It never seems to be fruitful nor does it provide a solution or a happy medium for all to accept. I don't expect everyone to meet anyone half way, but that does ease tension to a degree in which all can remain solid in their view, but also remain open minded in a respectful manner.

Opinions fly around here, which is a good thing. It is a forum afterall, but there still remains this never ending barrage of dissing one's opinion. It's an opinion. That's all. Not necessarily fact, but it is someone's opinion. The same way you want your opinion to be respected, you in turn should show the same respect. You don't have to believe the opinion, just understand it as someone eles's opinion. Plain and simple.

So, in the end, this site has allowed me to understand human nature a bit better especially my own human nature and where my mind is. Believe me, outside of this site, I am not as advertised.

Yes, my debating skills, based on seeing the debate for it's true intention instead of the frivolous fringes which some seem to hang on, have improved IMO. :hihi:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom