Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints? (1 Viewer)

Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints?

• Yes

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 93 50.8%

• Total voters

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
how is he tone deaf?
the flag means something different to each person depending on their life experiences.
See, this illustrates the problem right here. How long are people going to continue to cling to "the flag" while ignoring what the protest was about? Brees said himself that he realizes that the players were not protesting the flag. How many times is it going to have to be said that the players were not protesting the flag?

Does it matter that a former green beret came up with the idea to kneel?
Do the people who continually choose to focus on the flag think they love this country and the flag more than a green beret? Kaepernick and other players started the protest in 2016. Very little was said about it or even noticed. A year later Trump calls players SOB's and what do you know, people are suddenly outraged. Little or no outrage in 2016.

This is why a conversation can't be had. (Comment not directed at @gregh ) Some of the same people who get pissed off if someone accuses them of being a racist because of something they said or did are the same ones who continually ignore what the players said they were protesting.

Those people who keep talking about disrespecting the flag have no desire to have a conversation about anything unless it begins with ending protests. This wasn't new. It's been 3 years since the first protest. 3 years since players told everyone they were not protesting the flag.

What kind of American gets mad at someone for excercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights? I have an idea; the kind of American who thinks it only belongs to them and not to others.

FatCitySaint

Drag The Waters
Reaction score
Get alot of "stay in your place" vibes in this thread
I promise you I have no thoughts or thinking of that manner. So when does the way YOU feel become your issue that you work on and deal with? Or does everyone else have to walk on eggshells to not hurt your feelings or make you feel a certain way?

No maliciousness here just an honest question.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
For the most part, no. I did think the reaction to Brees was unfair considering it was his belief. Jenkins has become annoying to me. But all is forgotten if and when the season starts. Our nation just needs something to take our minds off what's going on in this world.

My enthusiasm was sky high after signing Sanders but it's been tamper down now with the possibility of there being no season.

Walter White

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think the country is going to hell in a handbasket and the Saints with it. If they start that kneeling crap this season, I'm done. After 50 years I am done. God Bless America!
Bye Felicia!! If you've been around for 50 years and can't see anything wrong then maybe you're a part of the problem.

gregh

The Real Deal
Reaction score
See, this illustrates the problem right here. How long are people going to continue to cling to "the flag" while ignoring what the protest was about? Brees said himself that he realizes that the players were not protesting the flag. How many times is it going to have to be said that the players were not protesting the flag?

Does it matter that a former green beret came up with the idea to kneel?
Do the people who continually choose to focus on the flag think they love this country and the flag more than a green beret? Kaepernick and other players started the protest in 2016. Very little was said about it or even noticed. A year later Trump calls players SOB's and what do you know, people are suddenly outraged. Little or no outrage in 2016.

This is why a conversation can't be had. (Comment not directed at @gregh ) Some of the same people who get pissed off if someone accuses them of being a racist because of something they said or did are the same ones who continually ignore what the players said they were protesting.

Those people who keep talking about disrespecting the flag have no desire to have a conversation about anything unless it begins with ending protests. This wasn't new. It's been 3 years since the first protest. 3 years since players told everyone they were not protesting the flag.

What kind of American gets mad at someone for exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights? I have an idea; the kind of American who thinks it only belongs to them and not to others.
so you cant have respect for a country/flag people died for to have the right to protest, while also acknowledging the reasons for the protest?

you said "What kind of American gets mad at someone for exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights? " then what kind of American goes after Brees for what he said? isn't it his right to express his opinion as well. i think people want to hear someone's opinion only when its their's.. if its not you're labeled whatever flavor of the day they want. that's a mob mentality...

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
so you cant have respect for a country/flag people died for to have the right to protest, while also acknowledging the reasons for the protest?

you said "What kind of American gets mad at someone for exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights? " then what kind of American goes after Brees for what he said? isn't it his right to express his opinion as well. i think people want to hear someone's opinion only when its their's.. if its not you're labeled whatever flavor of the day they want. that's a mob mentality...
I love the way Allen West takes it to "BLM" here:

His jab at white progressives was also great.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just stop.

There was zero reason for him to release that video rant on Drew Brees.
Sure there was.

It made it impossible for Drew to continue to keep his head up his rear and refuse to understand what he was being told by the people directly involved.

It also advanced the discussion about inherent racism in this country that's buried so deeply and is so pervasive that many of us don't even know it. I, myself, would never have thought of changing the name of Dixie beer or read the 3 not so well known verses of the Star Spangled Banner, but things like this force us to look more deeply at our past and to hopefully mve forward stronger for having done it.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
how is he tone deaf?
the flag means something different to each person depending on their life experiences. who is to say who is right or wrong just because he believed in something different? his family members fought for the freedoms of everyone here and the freedom of countless other countries that the USA has helped over the years ( WW1, WW2, etc), atleast thats where i think he was coming from. everyone isnt a racist that has a different POV. i think Brees has proven himself of that over the years...
so much for tolerance these days that people claim to have...
You're doing what Brees did and refusing to listen to what you're being told by the actual people doing the protest.

You can believe whatever you want, but when someone tells you directly that what they're doing isn't what you think it is, you can listen and believe them or you can be wrong.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The bounty garbage killed my interest quite a bit, and the continual garbage reffing is continuing to make me not watch the nfl.
The political stuff I have no issue with, so long as the players who are doing it are also walking the walk. Kaepernick for all the drama he has stirred, some good, some bad at least is attempting to make a positive change in the world. Davis, Jenkins and such are attempting to do it also, and for that, good for them and I support them. I honestly get more irritated at the people eating, goofing around, talking, spitting what have you than Kaepernick who kneeled respectfully.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Sure there was.

It made it impossible for Drew to continue to keep his head up his rear and refuse to understand what he was being told by the people directly involved.
This condescending "take" gives the implication that you and/or Malcolm Jenkins somehow know the best way to "reach" Drew Brees.

Telling Brees "(bleep) You" in a video is apparently something you see no issue with, or, at minimum, are tolerant of.

As others have said, he could have just called Brees up, like a man.......and stated "hey, here's why I take issue with this, this and that"........and even if he felt he did have to go to social media, could have handled it way more professionally.

People are incorrectly equating criticism toward Jenkins's approach as "shut up and dribble".............. if that's the case, why has no one taken Colston to task? Because Colston (who, by the way, also went to social media) addressed his difference in opinion in a far more professional manner..............Professional, which is what Drew Brees has been nothing but.

To say you and/or Jenkins know better than Brees how to handle that situation is simultaneously not giving the man near enough credit, while giving you and/or Jenkins way too much.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, he could have just called Brees up, like a man.......and stated "hey, here's why I take issue with this, this and that"........and even if he felt he did have to go to social media, could have handled it way more professionally.

I have seen lots of people over the last month or so have the same take as yourself on this- but they seem to convienently forget that Drew’s remarks were made on a public platform- so why shouldn’t the reaction to those remarks be public as well??

To answer the OP’s question- in an ideal world, i think it would be great if politics and sports could be kept separate, and we could use sports as an escape.. BUT we dont live in an ideal world.. So, as things stand, i will always take the side of people who are trying to effect real change.. Plus, since we are talking political stuff- i love pretty much anything that p***es off conservatives. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Emmanuel Sanders is building chemistry with Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus 5 things to watch for as the Saints begin the practice portion of camp SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders opens up about relationship with Drew Brees SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints long snapper Zach Wood retests negative, still in COVID-19 protocol SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints add depth at LB, sign vet free agent Nigel Bradham SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints salary cap space update after the latest signings and opt-outs SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints to activate linebacker Kaden Elliss from reserve/COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints announce roster moves SR News Page Articles 0
Saints announce signing of LB Nigel Bradham, activate LB Kaden Eliss from COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints linebacker Kaden Ellis cleared from COVID-19 list, long snapper Zach Wood to be cleared pending second negative test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints LB Kaden Elliss to be reinstated from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints Sign Bradham, Fowler and Waive Ten Players Saints RSS News Feeds 0
4 weeks Saints Latavius Murray could be worth starting in fantasy football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Projecting the Tight Ends to make the Saints 53-Man Roster in 2020 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Saints head to Chicago in Week 8 against a quarterback TBD Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Will 'playing with fire' finally burn Saints when salary cap plummets? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LB Kaden Eliss, long snapper Zach Wood on COVID-19/reserve list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints place LS Zach Wood, LB Kaden Elliss on reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
COVID-19 deadline has passed with no additional Saints opting out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2 Saints players put on Covid-19 list Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 59
Andrus Why Saints' Marcus Davenport will have a T.J. Watt-type edge rusher breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus The Jenkins Effect: Veteran DBs' positive impact on the Saints Defense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Projecting the Saints 53-Man Roster: Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Inside Look: Saints Media Day 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Do the Saints really need to add another defensive lineman? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After Drew Brees, how many current Saints could reach Hall of Fame? Six others, ESPN writer says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bruce Arians: Clock is ticking for Buccaneers to get ready for opener against Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Saints being proactive by renting Loews Hotel for players, staff during camp Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No Saints coaches have chosen to opt out, Sean Payton says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Unsurprisingly, Saints aren't an odds-on favorite to sign Antonio Brown SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Craig Robertson impressed by Saints rookies Zack Baun, Joe Bachie SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Top 2020 training camp battles for Saints: Backup quarterback, receiver and tight end all question marks SR News Page Articles 0
El Caliente Do the Saints have the best trio of Safeties? Do the Saints have the best DB Unit? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Saints QB Drew Brees may be 41, but his downfield numbers are 'still strong,' Sean Payton says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere NFL.com does ceiling and floor for every team. Saints ceiling: 15-1; floor: 10-6. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Why the New Orleans Saints could win it all, Part VIII: Cornerbacks Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LB Demario Davis, punter Thomas Morstead virtual press conferences Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints coordinator Gregg Williams will be a head coach again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints Training Camp / Daily Updates 8-5-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Saints promote Terry Fontenot to assistant G.M. of pro personnel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints promote Terry Fontenot to Vice President/Assistant GM of Pro Personnel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus 2020 NFL Team Preview Series: New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Cam Jordan welcomes Tom Brady — 'the second-greatest QB of all time' — to NFC South SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints won't benefit from NFL adding salary cap space due to COVID-19 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Cameron Jordan talks trash to Tom Brady, but can the Saints back it up? SR News Page Articles 0
Why the New Orleans Saints could win it all, Part VII: Linebackers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why the Saints are uniquely prepared for this offseason adversity Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints cut defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints Training Camp / Daily Updates 8-4-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 12
Film Study: Nigel Bradham’s coverage skills provide Saints with solid depth Saints RSS News Feeds 0