Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints? (1 Viewer)

Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints?

• Yes

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 93 50.8%

• Total voters
The bounty garbage killed my interest quite a bit, and the continual garbage reffing is continuing to make me not watch the nfl.
The political stuff I have no issue with, so long as the players who are doing it are also walking the walk. Kaepernick for all the drama he has stirred, some good, some bad at least is attempting to make a positive change in the world. Davis, Jenkins and such are attempting to do it also, and for that, good for them and I support them. I honestly get more irritated at the people eating, goofing around, talking, spitting what have you than Kaepernick who kneeled respectfully.

Sure there was.

It made it impossible for Drew to continue to keep his head up his rear and refuse to understand what he was being told by the people directly involved.

This condescending "take" gives the implication that you and/or Malcolm Jenkins somehow know the best way to "reach" Drew Brees.

Telling Brees "(bleep) You" in a video is apparently something you see no issue with, or, at minimum, are tolerant of.

As others have said, he could have just called Brees up, like a man.......and stated "hey, here's why I take issue with this, this and that"........and even if he felt he did have to go to social media, could have handled it way more professionally.

People are incorrectly equating criticism toward Jenkins's approach as "shut up and dribble".............. if that's the case, why has no one taken Colston to task? Because Colston (who, by the way, also went to social media) addressed his difference in opinion in a far more professional manner..............Professional, which is what Drew Brees has been nothing but.

To say you and/or Jenkins know better than Brees how to handle that situation is simultaneously not giving the man near enough credit, while giving you and/or Jenkins way too much.

As others have said, he could have just called Brees up, like a man.......and stated "hey, here's why I take issue with this, this and that"........and even if he felt he did have to go to social media, could have handled it way more professionally.

I have seen lots of people over the last month or so have the same take as yourself on this- but they seem to convienently forget that Drew’s remarks were made on a public platform- so why shouldn’t the reaction to those remarks be public as well??

To answer the OP’s question- in an ideal world, i think it would be great if politics and sports could be kept separate, and we could use sports as an escape.. BUT we dont live in an ideal world.. So, as things stand, i will always take the side of people who are trying to effect real change.. Plus, since we are talking political stuff- i love pretty much anything that p***es off conservatives. :9:

I have seen lots of people over the last month or so have the same take as yourself on this- but they seem to convienently forget that Drew’s remarks were made on a public platform- so why shouldn’t the reaction to those remarks be public as well??

Trust me, no one has forgotten that Brees did absolutely not one thing wrong and was merely answering a question, followed by getting unfairly/ridiculously chastised over it. You also quoted, but didn't acknowledge, the part that began with "and even if he felt he did have to go to social media"...

In addition, Brees didn't say "(bleep) those who are kneeling during the anthem". He stated his own personal position on the matter, professionally and with his usual class.

Trust me, no one has forgotten that Brees did absolutely not one thing wrong and was merely answering a question, followed by getting unfairly/ridiculously chastised over it. You also quoted, but didn't acknowledge, the part that began with "and even if he felt he did have to go to social media"...

In addition, Brees didn't say "(bleep) those who are kneeling during the anthem". He stated his own personal position on the matter, professionally and with his usual class.

I’m not in the business of defending Malcolm Jenkins (I’m an advocate for BLM, but i think Jenkins has been extremely chirpy lately on a variety of matters)- but to his credit, he deleted the one with the foul language shortly after posting, then retaped another one.

In general though, I’m not a fan of folks, athletes or otherwise, using social media platforms to air things Out- but Brees ‘started it’ (for a lack of a better term) so i have no issue in this case with Jenkins public response.

Sure there was.

It made it impossible for Drew to continue to keep his head up his rear and refuse to understand what he was being told by the people directly involved.

It also advanced the discussion about inherent racism in this country that's buried so deeply and is so pervasive that many of us don't even know it. I, myself, would never have thought of changing the name of Dixie beer or read the 3 not so well known verses of the Star Spangled Banner, but things like this force us to look more deeply at our past and to hopefully mve forward stronger for having done it.

Right. When he was recently on the Daily Show, didn’t Jenkins say something to the effect of, “I just thought that if we kept on making compromises and being polite, we’d never advance the conversation”, as to why he decided to release the video?

I think he was right. Drew Brees seems to think he was right, and Brittany Brees all but said his words were exactly what made her look in the mirror (her “checking boxes” social media post). Jenkins was also reportedly the first person to forgive Brees during his team meeting apology.

I really don’t see why this is still an argument at this point.

Trust me, no one has forgotten that Brees did absolutely not one thing wrong and was merely answering a question, followed by getting unfairly/ridiculously chastised over it.
not exactly correct - he did not intend to be dismissive or belittling, but his impact was just that
which he admitted in his apology

This condescending "take" gives the implication that you and/or Malcolm Jenkins somehow know the best way to "reach" Drew Brees.

Telling Brees "(bleep) You" in a video is apparently something you see no issue with, or, at minimum, are tolerant of.

People are incorrectly equating criticism toward Jenkins's approach as "shut up and dribble".............. if that's the case, why has no one taken Colston to task? Because Colston (who, by the way, also went to social media) addressed his difference in opinion in a far more professional manner..............Professional, which is what Drew Brees has been nothing but.

To say you and/or Jenkins know better than Brees how to handle that situation is simultaneously not giving the man near enough credit, while giving you and/or Jenkins way too much.

He didn’t say “(bleep) You” to Brees. Jenkins explained why he said what he felt AND why he said it in that matter. And it worked.

Would a nicer, more professional manner have worked? Possibly. But we’ve also seen that kind of thing not work hundreds of times.

Without any bad intent, it would have been very easy for Brees to hang up the phone after a nice, professional call, and think “we disagree about the flag (still not realizing what the real issue was), but it sounds like we’re cool” and move on.

But getting yelled at by people that you love and respect and watching your words/actions move them to literal tears makes it impossible to think “meh, small difference of opinion; everything is fine.” You pretty much have to do some self-reflecting after seeing that kind of reaction.

And after reflecting on it, Brees and his wife have both agreed that they were wrong and explained (in a rather insightful way) how they got to be so comfortable in their way of thinking.

A couple of points of clarification. He actually made the emotional video before he spoke to Brees and decided to still post it after talking to him about the whole situation. He still chose to post it AFTER speaking to Brees. Second, he ended the video by telling Brees he “needs to know when to just shut the f...... up!” We all have the right to our different feelings about that. It is what is is and we are where we are. G

He didn’t say “(bleep) You” to Brees. Jenkins explained why he said what he felt AND why he said it in that matter. And it worked.

Would a nicer, more professional manner have worked? Possibly. But we’ve also seen that kind of thing not work hundreds of times.

Without any bad intent, it would have been very easy for Brees to hang up the phone after a nice, professional call, and think “we disagree about the flag (still not realizing what the real issue was), but it sounds like we’re cool” and move on.

But getting yelled at by people that you love and respect and watching your words/actions move them to literal tears makes it impossible to think “meh, small difference of opinion; everything is fine.” You pretty much have to do some self-reflecting after seeing that kind of reaction.

And after reflecting on it, Brees and his wife have both agreed that they were wrong and explained (in a rather insightful way) how they got to be so comfortable in their way of thinking.
Well, good reflection and death threats are always motivating, death threats his wife brought up in her apology. Their family received death threats over this. We can all feel differently about that.

Malcolm Jenkins could have called Drew on the phone, or texted him. He chose to create unrest publically to draw attention to himself, not much of a captain. Now, he states he doesnt want to play. Easy to do when u have guaranteed money. What a loser, I'd rather Jarius Byrd or Terbucky. They couldn't play, but they were good teammates..It's been a long time since Jenkins knew what struggling was....Give the money back , we'll sign someone whose focus is football.

Martin Luther King could have hand delivered a copy of his "I Have a Dream" speech to every white person of influence. Instead he had to go out there and draw attention to himself!!!!! What a thug!

I am a brain genius!

an-imnot-racist-or-anything-guide-exactly-when-where-how-black-people-should-be-allowed-to-protest-things-by-whitey-mcsportsfan-a-book-that-black-people-should-be-grateful-for-new-york-times-no1-bestseller-RJV8V.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom