Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints? (1 Viewer)

Has the recent politicization of the Saints decreased your enthusiasm for or interest in the Saints?

• Yes

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 93 50.8%

• Total voters
Why do you call NFL players criminals and idiots? The crime rate amongst NFL players is significant lower than the national average. An NFL player is less likely to commit a crime than the average poster on this board.

I wasn't calling all NFL players criminals and idiots. Not even saying a majority. Just stating that I watch NFL for football. That's it. I don't want anything other than Football when watching football. I'd rather an athlete NOT be a racist, or a criminal. Not that they are.

Nope. I ignore it all. Sports are sports. I watch college basketball, college football, and NFL. That's all I have ever watched, and ever will. I also turn on the game a minute after kickoff, so I don't hear any of the jibber jabber political crap that's going to be happening before the game and during the anthem. People can kneel, plank, stand on their head, whatever. I'm not watching any of it. And if the announcers start talking too much about it during the game, I'll mute it.

I'm not interested in Drew's political beliefs, or Kamaras, or Thomas's, ANYONEs. From either side. Athletes play sports. I care about what they have to say and do about sports. That's it. I don't listen to them talk about building a deck. I don't want their opinion on anything other than sports.

Same philosophy with musicians and actors. I don't give a rats arse what they think. I just want to hear them play music, or see them on TV/movies. If it's something else, their opinion means nothing.

I'd rather athletes not be racist or criminals, or idiots. But America has proven that killing people, beating women, and animal abuse isn't enough to stop worshipping an athlete, so why should this?
Out of curiosity, where do you get your politics from?

Out of curiosity, where do you get your politics from?

It depends on the day. Usually peruse CNN as a start. They aren't perfect and really twist most things, but I can use it as a jumping off point to then go research the articles I find interesting. If I am feeling really cynical I read the same story from Huffington Post and Fox News and then look in the middle ground.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
When it is a difference of opinion completely unrelated to the x's and o's in the game of American football, yes. But it is not a new word to most.

Football players are human beings. To expect them to not have differences of opinion or to hear about these differences of opinion, especially in today's lightning fast digital age is just unreasonable.

I think we should just be accustomed to hearing different viewpoints, many of which may make us have second feelings about ours. Hate that we can't seem to handle that these days.

It would take something much worse to phase my love for this team. I don’t expect purity or perfection from anyone. I disagreed with Drew’s initial statement but I know his actions over the last decade have proven him to be a fantastic human being. I knew he’d right that ship. I speculated he’d need to backup his apology with action but come on, it’s Drew Brees. I knew he’d do that anyways. But even through the worse of this I would have never wavered on my love of this organization.

Sports in general has become more and more political. It used to be an escape from things. Now politics are forced down everyone's throats.

I don't care why party you align yourself with. It would be nice to watch any sport without having to hear about players/ coaches political views.

It will get to point when they do the lineups they won't say their HS or college they will say their party and who to vote for.

BTW guys, pro tip. If you don't want politics interjected in your sports then stop watching ESPN and the obnoxious "two guys screaming at each other" shows.

If you stick to watching the games themselves, you'll mostly avoid politics and all that.

Brees did nothing wrong other than not reading the room correctly. As much as the flag means various things to different people, to Brees it represents his version on America, the military service of his family, the ideals for which this country stands. Thing is when Brees says that, I don’t see a malice to what he is saying, just a poor time for a statement. His history shows that he is certainly not doing it in any racist way at all, nor that he doesn’t value people as his actions clearly show he does. While he sees the ideals of the country, and the flag it represents, those ideals are not always true in real life, as video after video have clearly shown, and as other guys on the team have lived through. I understand exactly where Brees comes from, being white middle class, with a history of military service running through my family. I admit also my views have changed dramatically as I watch and learn.

Brees did nothing wrong other than not reading the room correctly. As much as the flag means various things to different people, to Brees it represents his version on America, the military service of his family, the ideals for which this country stands. Thing is when Brees says that, I don’t see a malice to what he is saying, just a poor time for a statement. His history shows that he is certainly not doing it in any racist way at all, nor that he doesn’t value people as his actions clearly show he does. While he sees the ideals of the country, and the flag it represents, those ideals are not always true in real life, as video after video have clearly shown, and as other guys on the team have lived through. I understand exactly where Brees comes from, being white middle class, with a history of military service running through my family. I admit also my views have changed dramatically as I watch and learn.
being de facto leader - especially in sports, especially a successful QB means that you probably get to speak your truth and not get checked on it
to the point that you probably have no clue how much privilege you have
Brees spoke from a place of immense privilege and got checked on it hard (probably the gay conversion bible group was the only other time he got publicly checked like that)

and then for the posters who think that sports have ever been apolitical
if they can't see the DoD support or the type of advertising or what human interest stories or how a huge segment of fans back owners over players even though they have exactly zero connection to owners or etcetc then they don't realize that their privilege aligns with their sports'

they probably also sit in church and hear political messages from the pulpit but don't realize it bc they agree with the politics

this political stuff hasnt had me lose more interest. my interest has been fading since bountygate. year by year. i care less and less about the sport. its almost july now, and i'm not even remotely excited about the possibility of having football. usually come mid may i'm pumped. of course this year there hasnt been any mini camps/OTAs so maybe thats part of it too.

and maybe deep down im sure there wont be any football.

Why do you call NFL players criminals and idiots? The crime rate amongst NFL players is significant lower than the national average. An NFL player is less likely to commit a crime than the average poster on this board.

They haven't yet built the joint that can hold me anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom