Haslett and Co. inability to develop rookies (1 Viewer)

rlemieux

Who Dat?
Reaction score
My biggest complaint through the prior coaching staff was their inability to develop our young players. Something that doesn't seem to bother or prevent this coaching staff from being successful.

Here is a question, if players like Sullivan, Watson, Cie Grant, Stallworth, James Allen, Sedrick Hodge, Kenny Smith been drafted by another coaching staff (or even this coaching staff) and been able to spend their most important seasons with a coaching staff that was capable of developing players would things have been different for them?

Here another one, if other players would have been taken in thier place (ie. Trufant or Kevin Williams instead of Sullivan) would they have done any better, or would they have fallen into the same career woes those players fell into? Was it lack of development or lack of scouting or drafting the "right" players?

I agree. I'd take Cie Grant off that list though, that was because of injuries.

You make a good point but I don't know if it doesn't have more to do with the type of players that we drafted instead of the coaching after. Look what Sully did with the Patriots, Watson with the Bills, Hodge with the Dolphins and Stallworth with the Eagles. Allen and Grant have stayed too injured to know what they can do. Not one of those players listed have done better with another team or even been able to stick on other teams roster (except Stallworth).

I agree. I'd take Cie Grant off that list though, that was because of injuries.

A lot of people, myself included, believe some of his injury woes in the NFL were attributed to the fact he was made to play out of position and put on major weight to handle the MLBer position. He was a S/OLBer tweener in college and came in and was expected to be a 250lb MLBer here.

You make a good point but I don't know if it doesn't have more to do with the type of players that we drafted instead of the coaching after. Look what Sully did with the Patriots, Watson with the Bills, Hodge with the Dolphins and Stallworth with the Eagles. Allen and Grant have stayed too injured to know what they can do. Not one of those players listed have done better with another team or even been able to stick on other teams roster (except Stallworth).

But again, might Sully or Watson's careers ended up differently if they were drafted by New England or Buffalo and started their careers there. Bad habbits are easy to pickup, but they are near impossible to let go.

Can we please stop beating up on Haslett

Past is Past

lets just let it go

and enjoy payton (till he screws up and everyone questions him)

Can we please stop beating up on Haslett

Past is Past

lets just let it go

and enjoy payton (till he screws up and everyone questions him)

What? This is constructive criticism of a past regime. I thought rlemieux brought up some very good points. He is asking if the players we drafted during Haz's stay were just bad players or were they not coached right? Some have questioned why we have some players stealing from other players during the Haslett era, what did that do to the team chemistry? Do you think that would happen now with Payton? I don't, Payton although he wasn't a pro bowl player commands respect and it shows on the field.

These questions are useful things to bring up and no one is bashing Haslett. People are making comparisons to the old team and how it was run. I have been on this board for almost 10 years and when we got rid of Ditka, the same comparisons were made when we signed Haz and won our first play off game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom