Hate this call.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think the negative result FAR outweighs the penalty...I absolutely hate this call.

I was watching the game on TV yesterday at a sports bar, and the Falcons game was on next to ours. A similar call in each game happened about 3 minutes apart.

In ours, it's 3rd and about 16, and Vonn Bell breaks through for a beautiful delayed blitz.

4th and 25 and they have to punt.

However, there is a flag. The penalty is a 5 yard defensive holding penalty......AND AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN!!!!!

What in the heck is that?????

They were 3rd and 14.....I'm fine with the penalized yards if we did the hold......but why the AUTO first down coupled on top.

Make it 3rd and 11 and do it again.

Fortunately, we stuffed them the next 3 plays.

Cards had the same situation, where a 3rd and long stop is BAILED out by a wussy defensive holding call for an AUTOMATIC first down.
Falcons promptly scored, and took a 4 point game (and punting to Arizona) to a 11 point lead and game over.

The players are celebrating getting them off of the field....meanwhile the refs are giving them a clean slate for doing nothing but getting "held".

Both teams literally did nothing to earn the first, but were gift wrapped it.

I'm fine with the call, and the yardage mark off, and the replay of the down at the new distance, but the automatic first is way too severe of a punishment where the WR is initiating contact and the CB grabs something just battling.

Penalties have yardage assigned, so that should be the determining factor whether it's a first or not.

Not some penalties arbitrarily assigned as yardage and automatic firsts, while others are just yardage.

This isn't a ref complaint, it's a rules complaint.

It was a late flag also. We were all joking about the refs keeping Rams in the game. Officiating seemed different in the second half. The call that angered me the most, was the missed block in the back on the long kick off return they had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The flag was ridiculous. Ellerbe held *after* Bell already hit Goff.

Am I missing something.....how in the he77 does that constitute bailing out a 4th and 25 and just ...poof....awarding a first down?

I agree, I think both offensive and defensive holding should be a 5 yard penalty, replay the down. These penalties affect momentum way too much.

It was a late flag also. We were all joking about the refs keeping Rams in the game. Officiating seemed different in the second half. The call that angered me the most, was the missed block in the back on the long kick off return they had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The play that made me the angriest was the Rams first TD. The clock was running out for delay of game and gurly was up next to the guard saying something. He was back peddling as the ball was snapped plus 3 lineman and a WR weren't set when he snapped. Should have been a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The call that irritated me the most wasn't even a flag. It was Vaccaro's interception that was ruled down by contact when he didn't have possession until after he was on the ground. I understand the rule and that he was ruled down so it couldn't be reviewed. But, that either needs to be reviewable, or refs shouldn't blow the whistle. Something needs to change.

I think you open pandoras box if you don't give the O the first down. Teams will risk the 5 yards and hold the defender 100% of the time if the wr gets past the CB. Start over and take your chances on 4th and 20. I do wish certain game changing penalties could be reviewable, I just don't have the answer of "how"?

You can have holding behind the LOS, but that one shouldn't have been since it happened at same time as the sack.

How can there be defensive holding behind the LOS. By definition, you can have contact within 5 yards of the LOS.

I thought he was just beyond the LOS of scrimmage when he was held. Also, if he held him before the whistle blew, then it is the right call. I hate it too, but the counter argument is that teams could claim that if he hadn't been held, then he may have gotten open for a long gain.

He was definitely beyond the LOS..it was the correct call. I just don't know when the sack happened, I'd have to watch again..if Goff was getting sacked when the hold happened then it shouldn't have been holding.

I can't believe the Rams got unsportsmanlike after they scored a touchdown on us and one of the LA players "took" a picture of then player that scored the TD. That was a little bit too far to get penalized for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom