Hate to say I told you so...... (1 Viewer)

Archie_4_HOF

Northshore Who Dat
Reaction score
How will this affect Will Smith?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This contract for Grant is too large. What will they have to give Will Smith to keep him happy? Smith has actually been to a pro bowl. They have set a tough precedent with this one. Using Grant's contract as a model, you may have at least $120 million dollars tied up in DE's over the course of the next 7-8 years. The dollars don't match the production and this will make signing Will Smith to an extension at the end of this season pretty steep.

Here is my post from last offseason when Grant got a contract that allowed him to "feed his children." Anybody still feel that was a good idea?

If you do, would you rather have Will Smith or Charles Grant? I can't see how they can pay both of them the way they will have to to keep both happy. If they do give Smith a Grant type contract or larger, how do they resign Colston or Jahri Evans?

If there is a will, there is a way. Lets not forget that we are currently around a trillion dollars below the salary cap again. We do it every year! If we don't sign anymore free agents, we should have plenty to re-do atleast one of the three this year (Colston/Evans/Smith).

Last edited:
People are paid hundred of thousands of dollars to figure this stuff out. Have faith in Mickey Loomis, he is one of the best.

i agree that the contract for grant was stupid money especially with the production he was putting in. but i think will smith has every right to be asking for a new contract yes his rookie contract was front loaded and he got something like 20 mil over the first 4 years but he's stated to make around 800,000 or something this year which is low for someone who starts in the nfl. i say sign him seven years double his pay this year and make the thing largely revolve around bonus payments for numberws such as sacks takedowns. make him play for the money. even make the bonus' crazy large so he gets hungry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This contract for Grant is too large. What will they have to give Will Smith to keep him happy? Smith has actually been to a pro bowl. They have set a tough precedent with this one. Using Grant's contract as a model, you may have at least $120 million dollars tied up in DE's over the course of the next 7-8 years. The dollars don't match the production and this will make signing Will Smith to an extension at the end of this season pretty steep.

Here is my post from last offseason when Grant got a contract that allowed him to "feed his children." Anybody still feel that was a good idea?

If you do, would you rather have Will Smith or Charles Grant? I can't see how they can pay both of them the way they will have to to keep both happy. If they do give Smith a Grant type contract or larger, how do they resign Colston or Jahri Evans?
Will smith will receive a contract larger than Grant's as will Colston. Evans will receive a fair contract extension. There is plenty of room under the cap to do this plus sign the rookies, plus have room to spare.

i agree that the contract for grant was stupid money especially with the production he was putting in. but i think will smith has every right to be asking for a new contract yes his rookie contract was front loaded and he got something like 20 mil over the first 4 years but he's stated to make around 800,000 or something this year which is low for someone who starts in the nfl. i say sign him seven years double his pay this year and make the thing largely revolve around bonus payments for numberws such as sacks takedowns. make him play for the money. even make the bonus' crazy large so he gets hungry.

If we didn't pay Grant, someone else would have. Salaries for starters don't go down unless they are on the wrong side of 30 and even then, some of them don't decrease.

If the Will Smith deal is so easy, why isn't done?

Because they made a mistake with Grant and they do not want to repeat it. I agree that Smith should and will get a bigger contract than Grant. With that logic, how do you tie up $130 million dollars in two defensive ends that cannot get to the QB?

Grant got $63 million over seven years with $20 million guaranteed. What does Smith get? $70 million over seven years and $23 million guaranteed? No chance in hell. Strahan and Umeniyora don't get paid like that and they actually get to the QB.

I've been saying the same thing. I made a post a while back and got smashed.

Dudes on here don't want to hear this though

They did not want to hear it last year either. But here we are and now the Saints have to pay up and they are struggling to find ways to do it.

Yeah, ya'll sure told us. Don't we feel silly now!

If there is a will, there is a way. Lets not forget that we are currently around a trillion dollars below the salary cap again. We do it every year! If we don't sign anymore free agents, we should have plenty to re-do atleast one of the three this year (Colston/Evans/Smith).
Currently 15 million under I believe.

If the Will Smith deal is so easy, why isn't done?
As opposed to a pro-athlete named ______________ whose agent hashed out a contract with his employer in a few days?

It's a time consuming process. Neither side is in a hurry and both sides want to make sure that they get the best deal for their client. What about that says "easy" or "quick"?

The board is going to implode when we trade Will Smith on draft day

10 million to extend Colston, Smith and Evans?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom