Hattiesburg MS Severly damaged by tornado (1 Viewer)

Very Preliminary report says tornado was at least an EF3

This looks about right to me from what I was seeing damage wise with outer walls of buildings taken out while, leaving interior walls intact and major roof damage. wouldn't expect to see the rating change much more very strong tornado. Praying for all of those effected, very fortunate for no one to be killed by this storm.

Time to correct myself survey found EF-4 Damage now, so thus rating has been upgraded as of a few minutes ago
NWS Jackson MS &#8207;<s>@</s>NWSJacksonMS Updated survey info: Hattiesburg tornado upgraded to EF-4 with max winds of 170 mph (rating based on damage near Oak Grove in Lamar Co)
None the less this was a very strong tornado that caused lots of damage

That is the first EF4 tornado of 2013 and the first EF-4 since Lyons, Kansas on April 14th last spring.

The NWS and SPC are a little slow to react but the NAM and GFS are indicating a pretty good chance of a higher end severe weather event on Monday into Tuesday across Central and southern Ms, Alabama Georgia, Florida panhandle and northshore of La.

If the models shift just a bit or the warm front doesn't move inland as fast as anticipated it could be just a heavy rain event which is why weather services haven't really been talking it up much. If the models stay as they have been the past few runs then there is going to be a strong combination of wind shear and instability and a good chance for some strong tornadoes. Right now Hattiesburg would probably be the center of the bullseye.

The hwy 84 and 98 corridor has been hit with a lot of tornadoes since Christmas day including quite a few F2, an F3 and the F4 that hit Hattiesburg.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom