Have any of you recieved your IRS/Economic Stimulus forms yet (1 Viewer)

so if i filed with turbotax and got a return via direct deposit i should be okay?

so if i filed with turbotax and got a return via direct deposit i should be okay?

Absolutely.

If people are worried about scams, just be wary of any third party company (aside from a well known tax preparer outfit, and only then if you're 100% positive that is who you're dealing with, i.e. go down to the HR Block location) that is offering to somehow streamline the process for you.

You can't get the rebate until you file. And you don't have to have any special form or give any information to anyone for the rebate outside of your 1040 that you file with IRS.

all I got yesterday was a letter from them asking me to file my 2006 taxes :covri:

Hmmm, I was wondering why the Federal government needed my bank account number, SS # and mother's maiden name. Wonder if I can intercept that letter from the post office.

Absolutely.

If people are worried about scams, just be wary of any third party company (aside from a well known tax preparer outfit, and only then if you're 100% positive that is who you're dealing with, i.e. go down to the HR Block location) that is offering to somehow streamline the process for you.

You can't get the rebate until you file. And you don't have to have any special form or give any information to anyone for the rebate outside of your 1040 that you file with IRS.

Good advice. But also be weary of the "IRS" asking for your account and/or routing number or social security number. One of my co-workers received a call from the "IRS" and she almost fell for it before realizing that it was Saturday and no one that works in any capacity with the federal government would actually be at work on a Saturday. :shrug:

And the IRS isn't going to call you for anything. Ever.

They send letters and it takes them months to do it.

There are certainly a lot of misconceptions on this thread. Here are a few facts.

1. Congress authorized social security recipients and VA eligibility disabled veterans who do not ordinarily file a return to get part of the stimulus package. Ordinarily one would need to file a return to get the rebate, however, the IRS is sending a form to all the aforementioned, so they can claim their rebate.

2. I have not seen the form, but I understand it has been mailed, and I suspect the questions will include personal information, such as SSN, income, banking data, etc. There should be an envelope with an IRS addressed on it. This will go to the IRS, so it should be relatively safe.

3. The IRS wants bank information so they can direct deposit the rebate. Don't provide it and the IRS will mail you a check. Your call.

4. The IRS goes not call or email anyone. If you receive a call or email, it is a phishing expedition, and do not respond. It is a SCAM.

5. If you earn more than $3,000, or qualify as a disabled vet or SSI recipient, you will get a rebate. I don't think people drawing disability through social security will get a rebate, but I could be wrong.

6. The rebate is $600 per adult, and $300 per dependent child under age 17. If you have a college aged child who is still listed as a dependent, that dependent will not get a check.

Here is some more information I just found:

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/104737/Six-Reasons-You-Shouldn't-Count-on-Rebate-Check-Before-It's-Cut

Most Americans will soon receive rebate checks from the IRS worth anywhere between $300 to $1,200 or more, and many businesses have already launched marketing campaigns hoping to lure those potential customers.

Yet, many folks will not be eligible for a check at all and could end up in a bind if they've already hit the mall and put extra charges on their credit cards, counting on the rebate cash.

The global tax firm of Grant Thornton says if you belong to any of the following six categories of taxpayers, you should think twice before charging a purchase with plans to pay it off with that "free" government money. You may not be eligible for a rebate -- or at least not for a full or timely one -- if:

1. You owe the tax man money. The IRS has acknowledged that it will deduct from all rebate checks any federal tax debt. The agency will also withhold on behalf of all 50 states, and even Puerto Rico and American Samoa, any money owed in state or territory taxes. If you owe back taxes to the IRS or any state government, you could see your rebate reduced or gone altogether.

2. You make too much money. The rebate payments will begin to phase out for individuals with gross incomes above $75,000, and for married couples filing jointly with incomes over $150,000. If your adjusted gross income is above those levels, calculate your rebate carefully before going on a spending spree. Payments to high-income taxpayers will be reduced by 5% of all income above the phase-out thresholds.

3. You don't make enough money. If you have less than $3,000 in qualifying income, don't expect a rebate. Only those with $3,000 or more of income will be eligible. However, you will be able to count income typically exempt from taxation, like Social Security or veteran's benefits, to reach that minimum.

4. You don't file a tax return. If you don't file a tax return, you won't receive a rebate. Many people with low incomes are not required to file a return, but will need to in order to receive a rebate. If you have over $3,000 in qualifying income, file a return even if you don't have to.

5. You're just unlucky. The IRS's recently released rebate payment schedule is based on the last two digits of return filer's Social Security number. However, the IRS warns that a small percentage of tax returns will require additional time to process. For these returns, stimulus payments will not be made according to schedule. Taxpayers who put purchases on their credit cards in anticipation of a quick rebate check may be forced to pay unexpected interest if their return processing is held up.

6. You don't have a valid Social Security Number. Some taxpayers without Social Security numbers file tax returns using an IRS-generated Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. These people will not be eligible for a rebate. If married and filing jointly, each spouse must have a valid SSN to receive the rebate.

There are certainly a lot of misconceptions on this thread. Here are a few facts.

1. Congress authorized social security recipients and VA eligibility disabled veterans who do not ordinarily file a return to get part of the stimulus package. Ordinarily one would need to file a return to get the rebate, however, the IRS is sending a form to all the aforementioned, so they can claim their rebate.

2. I have not seen the form, but I understand it has been mailed, and I suspect the questions will include personal information, such as SSN, income, banking data, etc. There should be an envelope with an IRS addressed on it. This will go to the IRS, so it should be relatively safe.

3. The IRS wants bank information so they can direct deposit the rebate. Don't provide it and the IRS will mail you a check. Your call.

4. The IRS goes not call or email anyone. If you receive a call or email, it is a phishing expedition, and do not respond. It is a SCAM.

5. If you earn more than $3,000, or qualify as a disabled vet or SSI recipient, you will get a rebate. I don't think people drawing disability through social security will get a rebate, but I could be wrong.

6. The rebate is $600 per adult, and $300 per dependent child under age 17. If you have a college aged child who is still listed as a dependent, that dependent will not get a check.

a fact from where that the IRS needs your account info? according to IRS if you recieved your return direct deposit this is the only way you will get the stimulis check direct deposit, seems like you are steering people wrong unless the IRS is putting out wrong info

this is from the IRS website
"If you qualify, the IRS will automatically figure it and send it to you. The IRS will also send you a notice showing the amount of your payment. You do not need to call the IRS or fill out any other special forms"

Here's the official schedule from the IRS on when to expect payment.

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=180250,00.html
DIRECT DEPOSIT

<table align="left" border="5" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="410"><tbody><tr> <td>Last two SSN digits:</td> <td>Payment will be transmitted:</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 00 through 20</td> <td> May 2</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 21 through 75</td> <td> May 9</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 76 through 99</td> <td> May 16</td></tr></tbody></table>

PAPER CHECK

<table align="left" border="5" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="414"><tbody><tr> <td> Last two SSN digits:</td> <td> Payments will be mailed by:</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 00 through 09</td> <td> May 16</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 10 through 18</td> <td> May 23</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 19 through 25
</td> <td> May 30</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 26 through 38</td> <td> June 6</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 39 through 51</td> <td> June 13</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 52 through 63</td> <td> June 20</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 64 through 75</td> <td> June 27</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 76 through 87</td> <td> July 4</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 88 through 99</td> <td> July 11</td></tr></tbody></table>

Other than the SSA and VA recipients being mailed the form, where are all the misconceptions?

Also, note that the $600 per is subject to a the $75,000/$150,000 AGI limitation, at which point there is a reduction by 5% for every dollar over. (i.e. if your AGI is $80K, you'll get $350).

a fact from where that the IRS needs your account info? according to IRS if you recieved your return direct deposit this is the only way you will get the stimulis check direct deposit, seems like you are steering people wrong unless the IRS is putting out wrong info

this is from the IRS website
"If you qualify, the IRS will automatically figure it and send it to you. The IRS will also send you a notice showing the amount of your payment. You do not need to call the IRS or fill out any other special forms"

I am talking about those who receive the IRS letter because they are not required to file. The IRS already has that information from those who filed. Unless you have (or will) file your return by April 15, the IRS will not have the information available for direct deposit. Those who owed money, or received their refund via mail or went through a tax service for their refund, will receive their checks in the mail.

I am talking about those who receive the IRS letter because they are not required to file. The IRS already has that information from those who filed. Unless you have (or will) file your return by April 15, the IRS will not have the information available for direct deposit. Those who owed money, or received their refund via mail or went through a tax service for their refund, will receive their checks in the mail.

Obviously if you didn't file taxes the IRS will not have your direct deposit information. You still will not be required to fill out any form with your bank account information. You will simply be mailed a check to deposit at your discretion. Just clarifying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom