Have Saints become the Most Snake Bit Championship Team of all Time = Fan Heart Attacks! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Going back to the 2011 SF playoff game, has any Championship Caliber franchise been screwed and self-screwed in major games leading to the playoffs and playoff games more than our Saints??? Has any team had a more traumatized fan base like we Saints Who Dats have experienced? We kinda got a break for a few years with the Bounty Gate rape and the 3-year rolling rebuild.

But is it just my imagination? My limited view? Or my Prejudice? But it seems to me that the NFL is trying to kill off the Saints fanbase with heart attacks and strokes. Has any playoff-caliber team had more last-second heartbreak losses than our team? We can be up by 30-points at half and I can be sneaking out to the car to steal one of my doggy's tranqs and low and behold, come back to witness the Falcons, which I thought would be a wonderful "snooze happy" 4th quarter turn into the biggest onside kick fiascos of all time to make that game a blood pressure containment game.

Am I having flashbacks from my team years with the Saints when unlike President Clinton, not only did I put lit herbs to my lips but I also inhaled them - lol. Or is this last decade of Saints a constant trial of us fans' ability to handle last-minute trauma??? This is killing me - literally - lol

Edit: Why do we need Stephen King horror movies when we have our Saints - lol

Last edited:
Agonizing as our team snatches defeat from the jaws over and over again is what Saints fans do. It goes back to the days of getting a 3 point lead in the third quarter and going into run-run-incomplete pass-punt mode for 1.5 quarters only to lose by at least 11 points. The update consists of Drew Brees leading a surgical 4th quarter go ahead drive only to have defense give up the losing 20 second drive.
I am on 3 blood pressure meds and contracted shingles almost exactly 10 years ago :mwink: , definitely Saints related. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Agonizing as our team snatches defeat from the jaws over and over again is what Saints fans do. It goes back to the days of getting a 3 point lead in the third quarter and going into run-run-incomplete pass-punt mode for 1.5 quarters only to lose by at least 11 points.
I remember these years it was the final Jim Mora years. Saints had a tough defense so, we would get a lead and then play conservatively.

That's one reason I am thankful we have Sean.

It's funny you mention that. Watching on TV gives you a tight shot of the LOS, and most of the receivers / defenders have exited the screen. After the opposing QB holds the ball for 2 seconds, i can feel my BP start to rise. At the 3-5 second mark....pressure rises even more, as you're sure that one of those WRs is likely breaking free on coverage. Finally, as the opposing QB cocks back and releases the ball on a rainbow, my anxiety goes through the roof....that the deep low percentage pass will certainly find the open receiver 40+ yards down the field. IF the pass fails to connect, or IF the Saints defenders manage to take the QB down...you then have to wait a good 5-10 seconds for the yellow flag flying in to save the day. Multiply the stress of all that x2 for 3rd or 4th downs.

That's my life as a Saints fan LOL

There is no better 2 plays to encapsulate Saints fandom...the River City Relay. The team has the capability of pulling off a miracle to behold, while simultaneously capable of mucking up an extra point to take you into the post season.

Agonizing as our team snatches defeat from the jaws over and over again is what Saints fans do. It goes back to the days of getting a 3 point lead in the third quarter and going into run-run-incomplete pass-punt mode for 1.5 quarters only to lose by at least 11 points. The update consists of Drew Brees leading a surgical 4th quarter go ahead drive only to have defense give up the losing 20 second drive.
I am on 3 blood pressure meds and contracted shingles almost exactly 10 years ago :mwink: , definitely Saints related. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ahh the Danny Abramowicz days. Fun times.

We’re still on the Top 10 Snakebitten Franchises on NFL Network, regardless of the SB, for good reason. And we will continue with bad luck until we effectively put teams away in the playoffs, and Goodell gets removed.

AARP - I'm lmao with you Brother.

I've become friends with a really talented 40-year-old kinda jazz Spanish Guitarist in Central Texas. He was born in NO from a traditional long-term NO family. his dad was an original Saints Die Hard addict. There's some humor in this story, but I'm afraid it may be for Saints Old Timers, but his dad had 2 minor heart attacks watching Saints games on TV over the last 5-years. Now Get This (I'm rofl), the Doctor has the entire family on "NO SAINTS TV WATCH PATROL FOR DAD!" The Doc forbid Dad from watching any future Saints games telling him that he would literally kill him watching the Saints. Dad, with the 2 Saints driven heart attacks, on 301 plus meds (kinda kidding) will do anything to sneak out and watch the games from: running to Stop and Go, Running to Winn Dixie, going to pickup grandaughter (which he never actually does during Saints games) to going to Med Clinic for a check-up - Lmao. So a family member has to watch Dad up close and personal during Saints games. Is that Saints-Fan pure addictive behavior or what??? Like so many of us - lol

Now the Doc has come to an interim agreement. Dad can take 2 powerful tranquilizers at least 1-hour before kick-off. Seems like a good compromise? Welllllll not Dad. He feels too groggy to remember the games and often falls asleep. You all know the rest of the story. Dad found 100 ways to fake taking the pills. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. So the final compromise is that his wife, and only his wife, has to put a clear sheet of plastic across the toilet and then insert 2 tranqs up Dad's rear. She then has to stay with him for 10 minutes to make sure he doesn't use his own means to take the tranqs out. And then she has to inspect the clear plastic to make sure Dad doesn't otherwise expel the Tranqs.

I Love this story. And that is the definition of a classic Old Time Saints fan, crazy to the last breath - lol

Both the Bills and the Vikings franchises lost 4 super bowls, hence I think they would be in disagreement with that assessment. Imagine getting there 4 times and never winning it. I really do not understand these posts after one loss that could have gone either way. Agree that the past two seasons have been somewhat crazy in how they ended the championship runs but things need to be put into perspective.

The Saints have always found heartbreaking ways to lose games throughout their entire history. Its just that now they are doing it on a larger stage. At least the football Gods allowed us to experience one Super Bowl win along the way.

Except for a few brief respites, hasn't it always been that way?

I text my daughter all the time. She is the one pictured in my avatar...Its hard living as a Saints fan. Heartbreak is nothing new. I just now get to share it with someone....uggghhh. Not something I wanted to pass down to her. My wife doesn't get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom