Have we ever been obsessed with a former Saints player (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
3 years after they were no longer on the team?

I follow the forums of teams who are in our way to the NFC Title like the Packers, Rams, Seahawks (the Seahawks fans are the best, the Rams leave something to be desired.

This is a trending topic after the Packers win tonight.

BelowZero

Professional Troll
Reaction score
3 years after they were no longer on the team?

Even if they still had him, I don't think the coaching staff would use him this way, nor do I think Rodgers would let it happen.

Reaction score
Even if they still had him, I don't think the coaching staff would use him this way, nor do I think Rodgers would let it happen.
Since Rodgers been there its been all about Rodgers. Thats where it stops, their is no Taysom Hills, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara's, ect.... type players on the Packers because they wont allow it. I cannot honestly name anyone outside Rodgers, I dont know and cant name anyone else on that team like I can most others. Quite sad.

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cooks.

Graham.

We've talked about them away too much after they were no longer on the team.
Where is Cooks and who talks about him? I don't even know which team he plays for. Isn't he on his 4th team or something?

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Rodgers is an ego maniac. I hope he stays on the Packers and doesn’t make his way to our team or the NFC South. Because I really don’t like him.

Reaction score
Graham and Cooks is the type of talents that only was going to succeed in New Orleans and got too costly to keep or was limited in some abilities, like Graham not being able to block to save his life. Cooks was another Roddy White or Julio that was going to get phased out eventually when the Saints started changing the offense to be short yardage passes and like Cooks, Julio, and Roddy, none could run routes and only had 1 speed, that was run upfield along the sideline.

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Graham and Cooks is the type of talents that only was going to succeed in New Orleans and got too costly to keep or was limited in some abilities, like Graham not being able to block to save his life. Cooks was another Roddy White or Julio that was going to get phased out eventually when the Saints started changing the offense to be short yardage passes and like Cooks, Julio, and Roddy, none could run routes and only had 1 speed, that was run upfield along the sideline.
Jimmy Graham did continue to have some further success in Seattle in 2015 and moreso in 2016, respectively. He was voted to Pro Bowl at least once in Seattle, so at least from a short-term perspective, his production level didn't drop off too much and he remained a potent weapon offensively. It also helped him that by 2015-2016, Seahawks were gradually moving away from a run-dominated attack centered around Lynch and more towards the wide, open passing game that showcased Wilson as the team's de facto leader and centerpiece, whereas before it was mostly Seattle's powerful defense and Lynch's power running that made them media's focal points in their SB runs in 2013-14.

I think in the long-term, we got the far better end of the deal, ironically because for most Saints fans 5 years ago, having a perennial All-Pro center doesn't seem like a even tradeoff for what was considered one of NFLs best TEs at the time. Unger helped reinforce, consolidate and added some desperately needed veteran leadership to our O-line when our offensive firepower had declined and our once-great OL had either left via FA or traded away.

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Rob Ninkovich, for over a decade.
Before he became an occasional obsession point for some Saints fans wondering "How did we let him slip away or what could've he achieved if he played his entire career here?" There was the very badly handled, PR disaster 1995 training camp decision by "Three-headed Monster" GM trio of Mora, Kuharich and Miller deciding to cut legendary 5x All-Pro Saints kicker (and future HOF) Morten Anderson for cap reasons and Mora's deluded belief that Atlanta, of all teams, wouldn't sign him because they already had a good PK in Norm Johnson, who while a great kicker, wasn't in Andersen's league now or then and Falcons wouldn't hesitate to dump him and sign Morten. All three men have said it was a painstakingly, difficult decision and Mora said it was the worst personnel decision of his life, because it was the necessary catalyst that lit a fire under Morten's arse and he made us pay dearly for it for next 5 seasons.

The only other unnecessarily risky and stupid Saints FO offseason decision was in 2001 offseason when Randy Mueller, Rick Venturi, Haslett released Laroi Glover to sign a FA deal with Dallas and chose Joe Johnson instead and he and his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, essentially played those three idiots for patsies for a better deal with GB. Johnson probably had no intention of remaining in New Orleans for his rumored involvement in Willie Roaf stripper wife illegitimate locker room affair so why would Mueller and Haslett think he'd stay and remain a pariah instead of rebuilding his career somewhere else.

Haslett later admitted he got it wrong and should've chosen Glover because while, he wasn't the naturally gifted dominant pass rusher and athlete Johnson was, his positive work ethic, attitude, his determination to practice and play hard wasn't something you can teach necessarily.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)