Have we ever been obsessed with a former Saints player (1 Viewer)

Rob Ninkovich, for over a decade.
Before he became an occasional obsession point for some Saints fans wondering "How did we let him slip away or what could've he achieved if he played his entire career here?" There was the very badly handled, PR disaster 1995 training camp decision by "Three-headed Monster" GM trio of Mora, Kuharich and Miller deciding to cut legendary 5x All-Pro Saints kicker (and future HOF) Morten Anderson for cap reasons and Mora's deluded belief that Atlanta, of all teams, wouldn't sign him because they already had a good PK in Norm Johnson, who while a great kicker, wasn't in Andersen's league now or then and Falcons wouldn't hesitate to dump him and sign Morten. All three men have said it was a painstakingly, difficult decision and Mora said it was the worst personnel decision of his life, because it was the necessary catalyst that lit a fire under Morten's arse and he made us pay dearly for it for next 5 seasons.

The only other unnecessarily risky and stupid Saints FO offseason decision was in 2001 offseason when Randy Mueller, Rick Venturi, Haslett released Laroi Glover to sign a FA deal with Dallas and chose Joe Johnson instead and he and his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, essentially played those three idiots for patsies for a better deal with GB. Johnson probably had no intention of remaining in New Orleans for his rumored involvement in Willie Roaf stripper wife illegitimate locker room affair so why would Mueller and Haslett think he'd stay and remain a pariah instead of rebuilding his career somewhere else.

Haslett later admitted he got it wrong and should've chosen Glover because while, he wasn't the naturally gifted dominant pass rusher and athlete Johnson was, his positive work ethic, attitude, his determination to practice and play hard wasn't something you can teach necessarily.

Since Rodgers been there its been all about Rodgers. Thats where it stops, their is no Taysom Hills, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara's, ect.... type players on the Packers because they wont allow it. I cannot honestly name anyone outside Rodgers, I dont know and cant name anyone else on that team like I can most others. Quite sad.
I'm familiar with Darnell Savage Jr because he went to Maryland and was born in my hometown. Aside from him, no one.

edit: now familiar with Equanimeous St Brown. Now that is a name.

Last edited:
It’s funny because who did they keep Brett Hundley and Joe Callahan.
Man I remember when Callahan kept getting stashed away on both the Saints' and the Packer's PS and I was really hoping that the Saints could keep him as some diamond in the rough. When they ended up getting Taysom instead I remember thinking "ugh wish they had been able to keep Callahan. No idea about this Hill guy." Thank God I was wrong about that.

Teddy. Maybe even Malcolm Jenkins till he came back.

Akiem Hicks.......he's a beast and living in Canada its cool to see when a player gets drafted out of a Canadian University.

Plenty. But none will be as talked about forevermore as Drew will when he finally hangs em up.

Jimmy Graham.

I still keep tabs on his (lack of) production, years after he demanded top-flight WR money.

Loomis 1
Graham 0

Meanwhile, guys like Kittle and Kelce are now the gold standard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom