Have we ever had more interesting/versatile/playmaking players on our defense? (1 Viewer)

Ricky is as good as we’ve had but he was no ray Lewis. Ray Lewis made his de the best maybe of all time. He made everyone around him accountable and everyone played better because of him. We have never had that

Maybe not better than Ray (That's debatable) but he's a hell of a lot better than Urlacher. I don't believe Ray made his Defense one of the best all time. They had a ridiculous amount of talent on that defense.

We've won consistently with him as our DC, including three straight division championships.

Umm not saying that’s the obvious but sometime it takes a different coach to push the team over the top . Think M.Jackson to Steve Kerr, Garrett to McCarthy . Allen is average at best his in game adjustments are horrible to me and putting players in the best position to win . His play calling is suspect but consistent . He tends to imploy a bend but don’t break mentally yet it doesn’t work

The Dome Patrol Defense years far out played this current defense. If the Dome Patrol years had offensive talent and coaching similar to Coach Payton then 09-10 would not have been the first Super Bowl.

Talent means nothing if you cannot put it together with a scheme that plays to the strengths of the athletes. A team can have the most talented players but if the scheme does not put them in position to excel you will have misused talent.

There is a reason that players like Jenkins move on and perform well and yet when with the Saints they were inconsistent and part of some inept defensive teams.

As a sample, I took a look at the Saints Defense from 1991, and the team gave up just over 13 points a game.

The Saints defense under Payton has never been anywhere near that good.

Imagine a Saints team under Payton with middling defenses...never mind a top rated one like the Dome Patrol years. The year they did the Saints won the Super Bowl.

I love Payton's ability to find players and cultivate them into offensive gems but the team has not done as hot on the defensive side of the ball.

For all the supposed versatile playmaking talent this team, the coaching scheme has not been able to capitalize on the talent.

Jesus Christ.

I'm in an alternate universe.

BTW, George Kittle says hi.
I mean, that's like when someone brings up how bad Andrus Peat is and shows clips of him being beaten by Aaron Donald and Danielle Hunter.

Well, no duh. George Kittle is like Jimmy Graham circa 2011 but million times the blocker. Not that Williams is or is not good. Just, there's got to be better examples than the best players at a given position.

Jesus Christ.

I'm in an alternate universe.

BTW, George Kittle says hi.
You’re not alone.
It could be with the right DC. Our DC is not going to win or get the best out of any player. SP has give him too many chances and it just not going to happen because he has met his plateau. Sorry about rantin.
Idk. While I’m not over the moon for Dennis Allen I can’t argue with the overall success we’ve had these last 3 seasons. I do believe we have a lot of talent on the D now, still don’t believe it’s anywhere near what I grew up watching in the Dome Patrol.

That defense was so ferocious that teams literally feared playing us. With even a halfway legit offense back then we win a couple of Super Bowls. Even with San Fran being what they were.

The Dome Patrol Defense years far out played this current defense. If the Dome Patrol years had offensive talent and coaching similar to Coach Payton then 09-10 would not have been the first Super Bowl.

Talent means nothing if you cannot put it together with a scheme that plays to the strengths of the athletes. A team can have the most talented players but if the scheme does not put them in position to excel you will have misused talent.

There is a reason that players like Jenkins move on and perform well and yet when with the Saints they were inconsistent and part of some inept defensive teams.

As a sample, I took a look at the Saints Defense from 1991, and the team gave up just over 13 points a game.

The Saints defense under Payton has never been anywhere near that good.

Imagine a Saints team under Payton with middling defenses...never mind a top rated one like the Dome Patrol years. The year they did the Saints won the Super Bowl.

I love Payton's ability to find players and cultivate them into offensive gems but the team has not done as hot on the defensive side of the ball.

For all the supposed versatile playmaking talent this team, the coaching scheme has not been able to capitalize on the talent.

Watching that defense was a thing of beauty back then. I remember as a kid glued to the television after church. If we only had an offense SMH. We would have at least 3 Lombardi trophy's.

Our Defense won't be elite until our LB core becomes great. The chain is only as strong as it's strongest link.

Also I'm not a fan of Dennis Allen. He's an above average defensive coordinator but makes slow in game adjustments and has below average play calls for our personnel in the last two minutes of close games.
The core of our LB unit is Demario Davis and he is great
The corps itself is very inconsistent mostly because of injuries

Umm not saying that’s the obvious but sometime it takes a different coach to push the team over the top . Think M.Jackson to Steve Kerr, Garrett to McCarthy . Allen is average at best his in game adjustments are horrible to me and putting players in the best position to win . His play calling is suspect but consistent . He tends to imploy a bend but don’t break mentally yet it doesn’t work

Clearly his system does work since we've won far more than we've lost during his tenure.

Our Defense won't be elite until our LB corps becomes great. The chain is only as strong as it's strongest link.

Also I'm not a fan of Dennis Allen. He's an above average defensive coordinator but makes slow in game adjustments and has below average play calls for our personnel in the last two minutes of close games.
You're being kind about Dennis Allen.

I mean, that's like when someone brings up how bad Andrus Peat is and shows clips of him being beaten by Aaron Donald and Danielle Hunter.

Well, no duh. George Kittle is like Jimmy Graham circa 2011 but million times the blocker. Not that Williams is or is not good. Just, there's got to be better examples than the best players at a given position.
I dunno, maybe play back all the countless times you saw Williams trailing a receiver into the endzone.

Can't tackle at all, hasn't gotten better with that like someone tried to say, he'll never be able to tackle, ever.

A free safety that can't tackle? Yikes.

Clearly his system does work since we've won far more than we've lost during his tenure.
You're both right. Dennis Allen is an above average DC. And if we have a dominant enough offense that may be enough to win a Superbowl. But if the Saints ever want a truly elite defense, aside from having elite player talent, they will need an elite coach.

With the offense we have had over the past 3-4 years and you ask this question.... if the DOME PATROL had this offense we would have topped SF for SB Bowl wins in the 80s

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom