Hawaii considering the ban of cigarette sales to anyone under age 100 by the year 2024 (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/health/hawaii-cigarette-ban-bill-trnd/index.html

So begins the text of a new bill introduced in Hawaii's State House, calling for a phased ban on cigarette sales in the state by 2024.
Hawaii has some of the most restrictive cigarette laws in the nation. In 2016, it became the first state to raise the age to buy cigarettes to 21. Now, its new bill calls for raising the cigarette-buying age to 30 by next year, up to 40, 50 and 60 in each subsequent year, and up to 100 by 2024.

What say you? Do you think this is a good idea?

I personally saw this as unavoidable the more we move toward a single payer health care system. Public health becomes a key focus under single payer, and cigarette smoking is one of the top issues in public health.

What truly sucks is they are including in that bill a ban on E cigarettes as well. Vaping has become the biggest method for smokers to kick the habit. The former head of the World Health Association called vaping "THE biggest health innovation of the 21st century". The Royal College of Physicians, which were the first to report smoking causes cancer to which the US took another 5 years to agree with, did a comprehensive study and found Vaping "95% safer then smoking". Even the head of the FDA, who seems all gun-ho to ban vaping, has stated that "If every smoker in the US took up vaping instead it would make a dramatic impact in improving the over all health of the nation".

Last edited:
I would think the #1 issue in public health these days would have to be diabetes and heart disease. There's not near as many smokers now as there were 15-20 years ago. They should ban cheese burgers and french fries if public health is their concern.

Vaping I have a massive problem with because of how many teens are doing it. It's a huge problem in my kid's school. All of the negative health effects of it aren't known yet but popcorn lung is the one you read the most about. I have no problem with adults doing it but they have to make it harder to get for teens.

The former head of the World Health Organization called vaping "THE biggest health innovation of the 21st century". The Royal College of Physicians, which were the first to report smoking causes cancer to which the US took another 5 years to agree with, did a comprehensive study and found Vaping "95% safer then smoking". Even the head of the FDA, who seems all gun-ho to ban vaping, has stated that "If every smoker in the US took up vaping instead it would make a dramatic impact in improving the over all health of the nation".

Could you provide a link?

As a former smoker, I think it’s a good thing and overdue.

This is a link to a trailer of a documentary called A Billion Lives , which talks about why vaping is being targeted by Tobacco and Pharmacy for elimination and the potential for vaping to save lives. At about 2:30 into it, Dr. Delon Human, the former heard of the World Medical Association states "It's about one of the biggest public health interventions potentially of all time." The documentary is available to watch on YouTube for a $3.99 fee. It's really eye opening as to how Tobacco and Pharmacy are going about making Vaping out to be this villain that is worse then smoking. The former head of the World Health Organization, the former Winston Man, and the gentleman who is responsible for almost all of the public smoking bans in the US are just a few of the folks that are interviewed and speak to the positives of Vaping as a Smoking Cessation tool.

Last edited:
There are plenty of other ways to quit smoking. The point is I think, if you poll smokers, very few would say they’re glad they started smoking. Just my opinion.

There are plenty of other ways to quit smoking. The point is I think, if you poll smokers, very few would say they’re glad they started smoking. Just my opinion.

I agree there are plenty of other ways. However NONE have had the amount of success that Vaping has. And one, Chantix, is associated with over 6,000 deaths. To ban vaping is eliminating the SINGLE biggest working method available to smokers.

I would think the #1 issue in public health these days would have to be diabetes and heart disease. There's not near as many smokers now as there were 15-20 years ago. They should ban cheese burgers and french fries if public health is their concern.

Vaping I have a massive problem with because of how many teens are doing it. It's a huge problem in my kid's school. All of the negative health effects of it aren't known yet but popcorn lung is the one you read the most about. I have no problem with adults doing it but they have to make it harder to get for teens.

FIRST OFF LET ME STATE THIS: I 100% agree that teens should not be vaping. However, the amount of teens smoking has dramatically decreased. I am not saying one should be traded off for the other, but there certainly is reason to believe it has decreased due to vaping.

The truth about popcorn lung: So, in the entire history of mankind, the ONLY 8 people have ever diagnosed with popcorn lung and all worked in a plant that made microwave popcorn. It is BELIEVED that it came from an ingredient called diacetyl which gives popcorn it's butter flavor. It was discovered in a Harvard Study conducted in 2015 that some E Liquids do contain trace amounts of diacetyl (almost all of the E Cig industry has since removed flavorings contain diacetyl since this report it should be noted). So the narrative was that Vaping could lead to popcorn lung.

The actually truth is that there has been NO evidence to show that Vaping leads to popcorn lung. In fact, NO ONE has ever been diagnosed with it from vaping. And something that may surprise you is that the levels of diacetyl in a normal cigarette is over THOUSANDS of times higher then any E Liquid tested. E Liquid contained roughly 9 micrograms of diacetyl while traditional cigarettes show 6,718 micrograms of it. And to date , NO ONE has been diagnosed with popcorn lung via smoking either.

AND believe it or not, non-smokers may be more at a risk then people who vape or smoke according to one study from 2012:

"Moreover, a separate study about occupational popcorn lung published in 2012 paradoxically held that non-smokers may be at higher risk for popcorn lung than smokers are:

The 2015 research from Harvard omitted comparison to a far larger and more established control group of smokers when asserting concerns about diacetyl, popcorn lung, and e-cigarettes. Prior research into tobacco cigarettes (which contain measurably higher levels of diacetyl and are more commonly used than e-cigarettes) determined that smoking is not a risk factor for popcorn lung, so the lower concentrations of diacetyl in e-cigarette juices are not likely a risk factor in popcorn lung."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

FIRST OFF LET ME STATE THIS: I 100% agree that teens should not be vaping. However, the amount of teens smoking has dramatically decreased. I am not saying one should be traded off for the other, but there certainly is reason to believe it has decreased due to vaping.

The truth about popcorn lung: So, in the entire history of mankind, the ONLY 8 people have ever diagnosed with popcorn lung and all worked in a plant that made microwave popcorn. It is BELIEVED that it came from an ingredient called diacetyl which gives popcorn it's butter flavor. It was discovered in a Harvard Study conducted in 2015 that some E Liquids do contain trace amounts of diacetyl (almost all of the E Cig industry has since removed flavorings contain diacetyl since this report it should be noted). So the narrative was that Vaping could lead to popcorn lung.

The actually truth is that there has been NO evidence to show that Vaping leads to popcorn lung. In fact, NO ONE has ever been diagnosed with it from vaping. And something that may surprise you is that the levels of diacetyl in a normal cigarette is over THOUSANDS of times higher then any E Liquid tested. E Liquid contained roughly 9 micrograms of diacetyl while traditional cigarettes show 6,718 micrograms of it. And to date , NO ONE has been diagnosed with popcorn lung via smoking either.

AND believe it or not, non-smokers may be more at a risk then people who vape or smoke according to one study from 2012:

"Moreover, a separate study about occupational popcorn lung published in 2012 paradoxically held that non-smokers may be at higher risk for popcorn lung than smokers are:

The 2015 research from Harvard omitted comparison to a far larger and more established control group of smokers when asserting concerns about diacetyl, popcorn lung, and e-cigarettes. Prior research into tobacco cigarettes (which contain measurably higher levels of diacetyl and are more commonly used than e-cigarettes) determined that smoking is not a risk factor for popcorn lung, so the lower concentrations of diacetyl in e-cigarette juices are not likely a risk factor in popcorn lung."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

also, vaping smells and tastes about one billion times better than cigarettes

All it takes is one 100-year old person to take up smoking to 'look cool' and the fallacy of this ridiculous law will be shown.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom