Hawaii considering the ban of cigarette sales to anyone under age 100 by the year 2024 (1 Viewer)

reading the article didn't make vaping more available to kids

look, i don't think kids should be vaping...but there are currently laws in place that make selling the stuff to minors illegal....beyond that, i don't know what else we can do...

my point was that kids will find ways get their hands on cigarettes, booze, weed, etc....and it's pretty likely that they don't consider the ramifications of using those things...that's sort of what teenagers do best
Laws are like locks.....they keep honest people honest. The article pointed out the usage rates among teens. The common belief that e cigs are better for you makes parents not take it as serious. In my son's school it's an epidemic. A majority of his classmates vape. Several do so with their parents permission. Makes it very hard for me to explain to him why he shouldn't or why I won't allow him to do it.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/news/20180814/study-vaping-may-shut-off-lungs-protective-cells#1

TUESDAY, Aug. 14, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- E-cigarettes have been touted as a safer alternative to smoking, but the vapor they create might harm lungtissue much like regular cigarettes do, British researchers report.

With or without nicotine, e-cigarette vapor increases inflammation and disables cells that protect lung tissue, human tissue tests reveal. Harming these cells makes them vulnerable to dust, bacteria and allergens that might lead to incurable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the researchers say.

it's pretty rampant among teens up here

cigarette companies switched gears as countries like the US started to see decreases in use. This included targeting children in poor countries, to get them hooked and buying cigarettes.

The advertising and availability has been targeted at teens and young people. This was in the marketing decisions very early in the process, and it's worked to pretty amazing effect.

The e-cigs are employing the same methods as cigarettes have done in the post domestically and more recently abroad.

Personally, seeing up close what it's doing to teens, I think we need to be very, very careful about how these things are advertised, sold and considering pretty extreme measures at limiting these practices are totally reasonable. Not saying the approach in the OP is what I think it optimal. But it's got some landmines I think a lot of people aren't aware of when it comes to use by youth.

And there are people who say that they don't want/need a nanny state as an adult and I get that. But there's also the element of a kid getting hooked after being targeted by the ads, without protections from bodies that can govern/control/legislate such marketing, who becomes an adult addicted isn't entirely able to make decisions as adults who are adults right now.

Here's an example of a kid who became addicted and the difficulty he had in kicking it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/health/vaping-juul-teens-addiction-nicotine.html

After a few weeks of bumming daily hits from friends (called “fiending”), Matt went on a family vacation out West. On his second day without a Juul, he found he wanted one desperately. On the third, he couldn’t take it anymore.

He searched Juul’s website to find a local store that sold it, and ordered an Uber to get there, mumbling a nonchalant excuse to relatives. Between the cost of the ride service plus the Juul “starter” kit, he spent $100 to sate his need.

Soon, he escalated to a daily pod, sometimes more. He was spending $40 a week, draining his Christmas and birthday money, and his paycheck from his part-time job at Chili’s.

and then he talks about how hard it was to quit because there isn't really a protocol for kicking the habit like there is for other things, like alcohol and cigarettes. And how solitary it can feel because so many of his friends are doing it - like many other addictive substances.

Because Juul is so new, there is no consensus protocol for how teenagers should withdraw. Matt devised a weaning regimen: every two hours, five short hits. Then longer breaks, fewer hits...

Nicotine withdrawal, he said, was hell. He was overtaken with bouts of anxiety. Who was he without his 11th finger? He would get the shakes, curl up in his bed, overcome with a sense of powerlessness.

“When Matt withdrew, he’d flip out a lot, especially when other people had it around him,” said Jared Stack, a friend since elementary school. “They wouldn’t stop doing it just because he had. They didn’t care — because they were addicted too.”

I don't think they need to ban cigarettes. They only need to ban the tobacco industries from manipulating the tobacco to be so much more addictive.

Are you being paid by these people? Lol. And I think a lot of these vaping companies are owned by tobacco conglomerates anyway. When it comes down to it nicotine itself is carcinogenic no matter where you get it from. I don't think inhaling vaporized glycol that contains nicotine is much better than smoking. Nicotine free is the only way to really quit.

I am very involved in Vape Advocacy and have spoke with Senators and Congressmen regarding laws about Vaping. I have seen first hand people who could not quit smoking via various methods be able to finally break free from the smoking addiction via Vaping.

Also, nicotine DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER! Cancer from smoking comes from the tar and the thousand other ingredients in a cigarette, not nicotine.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323542.php

They call that lobbying.

You are correct. However, I am not paid to do so. I have done it because I truly believe in Vaping's potential to save countless lives. As a 30 plus year, 2 pack a day smoker, I had tried everything to quit. The patch, the gum, Chantix, cold turkey, accupuncture, and even hypnosis. Nothing worked until 8 years ago when I discovered Vaping. Since then, I have helped literally hundreds of people quit smoking. One of my best success stories is of a 73 year old woman who smoked for over 50 years!

I am 100% against teen Vaping, irresponsible advertising, and child appealing labels. Vaping should only be available for use by responsible adults.

One thing I have learned since I started to advocate for Vaping as a method to quit smoking is there is a lot of false and misleading information out there. And a good bit of the anti-vaping research that has been done has been done by either Tobacco or Pharmacy, both of which are losing big revenue to the millions of people who have used Vaping to quit smoking.

I am a firm believer in that if the government was TRULY concerned with the health of the nation, Tobacco would have been banned decades ago. They banned hemp despite all the evidence of it's potential for health applications.

it's pretty rampant among teens up here

The advertising and availability has been targeted at teens and young people. This was in the marketing decisions very early in the process, and it's worked to pretty amazing effect.

I hear and read this a lot about advertising. However, why is it that alcohol advertising isn't frowned upon? The percentage of teen drinking FAR outweighs teen Vaping. According to the CDC, the highest rate of vaping was among 12th graders at 16% in the past month. Drinking? 30%. Yet via the CDC's own studies it has been proven that teens exposed to alcohol advertising increase their drinking. A national study published in January 2006 concluded that greater exposure to alcohol advertising contributes to an increase in drinking among underage youth. Specifically, for each additional ad a young person saw (above the monthly youth average of 23), he or she drank 1% more. For each additional dollar per capita spent on alcohol advertising in a local market (above the national average of $6.80 per capita), young people drank 3% more.

Now think about this: how many alcohol ads do you see during any given sports broadcast? The most popular ad during this years Super Bowl was credited to Bud Light! How many teens were exposed to that? And there was not a single ad for Vaping.

Last edited:
Here in Australia cigarettes are currently $35/pack and due to rise to $50/pack in the next few years.

I believe part of those hefty taxes go straight to the universal healthcare program.

I hear and read this a lot about advertising. However, why is it that alcohol advertising isn't frowned upon? The percentage of teen drinking FAR outweighs teen Vaping. According to the CDC, the highest rate of vaping was among 12th graders at 16% in the past month. Drinking? 30%. Yet via the CDC's own studies it has been proven that teens exposed to alcohol advertising increase their drinking. A national study published in January 2006 concluded that greater exposure to alcohol advertising contributes to an increase in drinking among underage youth. Specifically, for each additional ad a young person saw (above the monthly youth average of 23), he or she drank 1% more. For each additional dollar per capita spent on alcohol advertising in a local market (above the national average of $6.80 per capita), young people drank 3% more.

Now think about this: how many alcohol ads do you see during any given sports broadcast? The most popular ad during this years Super Bowl was credited to Bud Light! How many teens were exposed to that? And there was not a single ad for Vaping.
Alcohol ads are very much frowned upon
Lots of timing and content restrictions on them

I applaud your crusade but I think you’re mistaken about this

Alcohol ads are very much frowned upon
Lots of timing and content restrictions on them

I applaud your crusade but I think you’re mistaken about this

Again, any sporting event I watch, regardless of time of day, contains multiple different ads for various alcohols. I'm not sure what timing or content restrictions you are referring to but they must be pretty lax considering. How many different Bud Light commercials were shown during the Super Bowl? Three. And in the top 10 commercials were Bud Light, Stella Artois and Michelob Ultra commercials.

Any given Sunday afternoon during football season has countless ads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom