Haydel's to make 'Hand Pies' (1 Viewer)

Here are some alternatives to Hubig's Pies:
Craving a Hubig

I tried the pie from Bud's Broiler this past weekend. I have to say that it didn't quinch my Hubig's craving.
One of the workers at Bud's told me that they are thinking of glazing their fried pie. Currently, they put powdered sugar over their pie.
I told him that this would be a good idea.

Also, Popeye's makes a pretty good apple pie. I noticed that their pie wasn't included in this article.

Has anyone else tried any of the pies mentioned in the article?

Here are some alternatives to Hubig's Pies:
Craving a Hubig

I tried the pie from Bud's Broiler this past weekend. I have to say that it didn't quinch my Hubig's craving.
One of the workers at Bud's told me that they are thinking of glazing their fried pie. Currently, they put powdered sugar over their pie.
I told him that this would be a good idea.

Also, Popeye's makes a pretty good apple pie. I noticed that their pie wasn't included in this article.

Has anyone else tried any of the pies mentioned in the article?

Outside of Hubig's and perhaps Popeye's, I would say Church's has a pretty good fried apple pie. They have other flavors at times as well.

Outside of Hubig's and perhaps Popeye's, I would say Church's has a pretty good fried apple pie. They have other flavors at times as well.
I've never tried the Church's pie. I may have to make a stop there.

Man, do I miss Hubig's Pies!!
When I lived in Hattiesburg, years ago, I would crave them so bad!
The first thing I would do when I got back home would be to stop at a gas station and buy a couple of them to take to my parent's house.

I sure hope Hubig's aren't another casualty of
"Aint Der No More"!

People have offered to buy them and rebuild, but the family wants a crazy amount of money (heard this from two sources in the banking community). My take is, they can't afford the capital expenses, and for that they won't reopen.

The latest new public information about Hubig's is from November 2014. Apparently, there are two partners in the Hubig's enterprise who didn't/don't agree on how to proceed with re-establishing the business.

Also this (same link):

Tangling things further is an ongoing lawsuit filed in late 2012 by Hubig’s against the supplier of its plant’s fire suppression system, alleging that the system failed to protect its facility. While that suit continues, Ramsey said, options to dissolve and reform the brand are off the table.

I don't know if Haydel's (and others) laid off for a few years to give Hubig's a chance to come back. But now, it looks like at least Haydel's feels like it's time to take over the hand pie niche. Maybe someone else local will do fried hand pies soon.

A comparison: while McKenzies went away, some places still make various McKenzies confections -- chiefly at the Tastee on Transcontinental and W. Esplanade in Metairie, and another place on Harrison Ave in Lakeview (forget the name, but they advertise the McKenzies name on their business signage). There are probably some more places around that make & sell McKenzies items. Maybe Hubig's will be similar ... "ain't there no more", but kept alive by other area businesses.

The latest new public information about Hubig's is from November 2014. Apparently, there are two partners in the Hubig's enterprise who didn't/don't agree on how to proceed with re-establishing the business.

Also this (same link):

I don't know if Haydel's (and others) laid off for a few years to give Hubig's a chance to come back. But now, it looks like at least Haydel's feels like it's time to take over the hand pie niche. Maybe someone else local will do fried hand pies soon.

A comparison: while McKenzies went away, some places still make various McKenzies confections -- chiefly at the Tastee on Transcontinental and W. Esplanade in Metairie, and another place on Harrison Ave in Lakeview (forget the name, but they advertise the McKenzies name on their business signage). There are probably some more places around that make & sell McKenzies items. Maybe Hubig's will be similar ... "ain't there no more", but kept alive by other area businesses.

Yeah, the group that purchased McKenzies ran it into the ground. Rather than keeping them open they decided to sell off recipes, and shut down all overhead costs. The comical thing about the group that purchased McKenzies
teach business at Tulane.

I don't blame anyone for encroaching on Hubig's business. Those guys are so dysfunctional. They want 2 times the BV.:hihi:

I think the only problem with this, though, is the price to gain those rights. If it's true the the owners are asking for too much for the company, the inflated value might be for the rights to the recipes.

Lard Jesus, it's a fire! I didn't grab my pies or nothin', Jesus.

sweet-brown.jpg

I think the only problem with this, though, is the price to gain those rights. If it's true the the owners are asking for too much for the company, the inflated value might be for the rights to the recipes.

I actually was not aware that the McKenzies recipes were straight-up sold. I thought that ex-McKenzies employees/managers/etc. got hired at other places (or opened their own shops) and started making the McKenzies stuff from institutional memory.

I actually was not aware that the McKenzies recipes were straight-up sold. I thought that ex-McKenzies employees/managers/etc. got hired at other places (or opened their own shops) and started making the McKenzies stuff from institutional memory.

Nope. IIRC, Tastee's both most of the recipes, including the king cake and buttermilk drops. Others claim to have the original recipie for the buttermilk drops, but I believe it was Tastee's who actually bought it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom