Haydel's to make 'Hand Pies' (1 Viewer)

I've never tried the Church's pie. I may have to make a stop there.

Man, do I miss Hubig's Pies!!
When I lived in Hattiesburg, years ago, I would crave them so bad!
The first thing I would do when I got back home would be to stop at a gas station and buy a couple of them to take to my parent's house.

I sure hope Hubig's aren't another casualty of
"Aint Der No More"!

I used to buy up to 40 of the sweet potato ones and freeze them for whenever.

I used to buy up to 40 of the sweet potato ones and freeze them for whenever.

The sweet potato pie at Church's is to die for. Always have to take extra extra insulin when I eat one.

I heard a while back that Rouse's was willing to let Hubig's use their bakery until they could get the money to open another full service facility. I don't know what happened with all that but seemed like a good deal. Hopefully the Haydel's pies will be a good substitute until Hubig's can get their act together. I will be getting some this weekend.

Nope. IIRC, Tastee's both most of the [McKenzies] recipes, including the king cake and buttermilk drops. Others claim to have the original recipe for the buttermilk drops, but I believe it was Tastee's who actually bought it.

Haven't had them in a few years (~2011-12), but the buttermilk drops at the Trans/W. Esp Tastee were pretty much spot on what McKenzies used to serve.

Now, funny enough, there are places that keep some of the old Tastee Donuts recipes alive (pre-Kastleburger days when they had this logo). On the Westbank, the Terrytown Donuts location at Carol Sue/Terry (which was a Tastee Donuts way back when) still makes the Tastee Donuts donuts and the old-school "donut" king cake. Remember the '70s Tastee Donuts kingcakes with the pink-&-blue sugar and the plastic clown heads? Terrytown Donuts makes their kingcakes the same way, except with purple-green-&-gold sugar and no clown heads :D

Terrytown Donuts also makes a "buttermilk donut" which tastes exactly like the McKenzies buttermilk drops, just made in a traditional holed donut shape. I think that particular recipe has gotten out beyond those who actually paid for the recipe.

Similarly, up the street at Hi-Do Bakery on Terry Pkwy near Stumpf ... Hi-Do makes a kingcake that is pretty much the old-school McKenzies kingcake. Love that they use the sugar on their kingcakes and not that gloppy white icing that almost all kingcakes come with now.

I heard a while back that Rouse's was willing to let Hubig's use their bakery until they could get the money to open another full service facility. I don't know what happened with all that but seemed like a good deal. Hopefully the Haydel's pies will be a good substitute until Hubig's can get their act together. I will be getting some this weekend.
You can bet there were strings attached. Regardless, I'm mildly convinced the Hubigs people have no intention of ever coming back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No new developments on the Hubig's front.

Just resurrected the thread to mention that I finally got around to trying the Haydel's hand pie. They must be doing OK since they're still being sold and are available in more and more places all the time.

Anyway, I got an apple hand pie this morning. Since it's not fried, it's a little unfair to compare it exactly to what Hubig's used to do. That said, Haydel's makes a satisfying hand pie. No, the earth didn't move when I ate it or anything like that ... but it tasted good, had plenty of crunchy apple, and was satisfying.

One thing though: they cost $2.49 retail. That takes it out of the realm of "impulse purchase" for me. I was expecting something like $1.49. Not that it was a rip-off -- far from it -- I just remembered Hubig's being much less expensive. Interestingly, the price of the Haydel's pies is never on display wherever they are sold (not in the 6 or 7 spots I've checked, anyway). Hubig's actually printed the retail price on the packaging of their pies.

Weren't Hubig's Pies 99 cents?

I really wish I could remember.

I had thought they creeped over a buck by 2011 ... maybe $1.19 or something like that. But I really can't recall for sure.

Haydel's has also expanded their flavor selections-- they started off with just lemon, cherry, apple and chocolate, then added Coconut Crème, and this week I saw some strawberry ones.

They are good but not quite the same. As my daughter noted, they seem a bit larger, and the crust-to-filling ratio is off-- the crust is too thick and their always seems to be some air between the filling and the inside crust.

I like them. They aren't hubig's but they aren't trying to be. The coconut creme is outstanding and the apple ain't bad.

That being said I would kill for a hubig's apple or blueberry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom