HB Breakdown - Game 3 2009 vs. Buffalo (1 Viewer)

do you know how much reggie was targeted in the passing game?

he had three catches. what kind of patterns where they and out of what personnell groupings?

He was targeted 7 times according to ESPN.com but one of those was a batted pass so I'm not sure if he really was the target or not.

I'll be doing the rest of this post from memory.

1 - 4th-2 Incompletion - I formation, counter left swing pass - Brees tripped over Heath Evans' foot and it threw off the timing, Stinchcomb was left to block 2 defenders and the play was up against the sideline

2 - 1st-10 Incompletion - I formation, screen - Bush picked up the blitz of Whitner and as he went into his pattern his foot got tangled with Stinchcomb's and he fell, play most likely doesn't gain much if anything anyway

3 - 3rd-6 5-yard Completion - Empty Back formation - Bush motioned wide right and ran a curl route right at the 1st down marker, tackled immediately and was short less than a yard

4 - 2nd-10 Incompletion - Single Back formation, play action - Bush ran an out route after the fake, Brees threw it wide

5 - 1st-10 12-yard Completion - Weak I formation, play action - Bush ran an out route and sat down by the sideline, no one picked him up until the ball was in the air, he juked WLB Keith Ellison and picked up another 7 yards

6 - 1st-20 Incompletion - Single Back formation - Bush ran a curl, Brees tried a jump pass over the DL and it was batted down

He was targeted 7 times according to ESPN.com but one of those was a batted pass so I'm not sure if he really was the target or not.

I'll be doing the rest of this post from memory.

1 - 4th-2 Incompletion - I formation, counter left swing pass - Brees tripped over Heath Evans' foot and it threw off the timing, Stinchcomb was left to block 2 defenders and the play was up against the sideline

2 - 1st-10 Incompletion - I formation, screen - Bush picked up the blitz of Whitner and as he went into his pattern his foot got tangled with Stinchcomb's and he fell, play most likely doesn't gain much if anything anyway

3 - 3rd-6 5-yard Completion - Empty Back formation - Bush motioned wide right and ran a curl route right at the 1st down marker, tackled immediately and was short less than a yard

4 - 2nd-10 Incompletion - Single Back formation, play action - Bush ran an out route after the fake, Brees threw it wide

5 - 1st-10 12-yard Completion - Weak I formation, play action - Bush ran an out route and sat down by the sideline, no one picked him up until the ball was in the air, he juked WLB Keith Ellison and picked up another 7 yards

6 - 1st-20 Incompletion - Single Back formation - Bush ran a curl, Brees tried a jump pass over the DL and it was batted down

this really answered my question. thanks.:9:

i wanted to see just how much he was targeted as a wideout and allowed to run patterns in those situations.

he mostly operated out of the backfield but he is very dangerous lining up in the slot or out wide.

i believe that we could've done alot better had we given hamilton a string of carries in the first half (which probably had alot to do with penalties too) and if we maybe use reggie more as a wideout along with another back in the backfield yesterday.

Hamilton's issue is his pass blocking, which is why he wasn't in the backfield on a lot of passes, if any.

serious question. does bell do alot of pass blocking?

I don't know off the top of my head, I'd have to re-watch the first 2 games.

Great info NPs6724, and thanks for taking the time and effort to post such great information. Which leads to my next questions. I believe that we RUN the ball MUCH better out of the I Formation. BUT it seems to me that S.Peyton only allows certain backs to run in the I formation. I personally thought with the way Reggie and Hamilton was running in the first half, Reggie would for sure have over 100 yard rushing for the day. But we stopped giving him the ball.

Sadly, the Brees to Evans passing TD streak ended at two. ESPN and NFLN are all talking about TO's streak ending, but no one mentions Evan's streak ending.
:idunno:

Sadly, the Brees to Evans passing TD streak ended at two. ESPN and NFLN are all talking about TO's streak ending, but no one mentions Evan's streak ending.
:idunno:

Yeah, I feel bad for Heath. But on another note, guess when was the last game we won without Brees throwing for a TD. It had happened exactly ONE time before yesterday.

It occurred 3 years and 2 days previously. Superdome Homecoming, 2006, Atlanta Falcons. It's also the last time we started a season 3-0 and teh last season we made the playoffs. :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom