TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (30 Viewers)

Winter is nearly upon us. This a good read.

“We want people to love it,” Weiss says. “It matters a lot to us. “We’ve spent 11 years doing this. We also know no matter what we do, even if it’s the optimal version, that a certain number of people will hate the best of all possible versions. There is no version where everybody says, ‘I have to admit, I agree with every other person on the planet that this is the perfect way to do this’ — that’s an impossible reality that doesn’t exist.

Adds Benioff: “From the beginning we’ve talked about how the show would end. A good story isn’t a good story if you have a bad ending. Of course we worry.”
Benioff is pretty blunt about his finale viewing plans. “I plan to be very drunk,” he says, “and very far from the internet.”

I can't even imagine the frustration of having most likely the most important work you will ever do in your career, be subject to a large percentage of its fans going meh as soon as the see it. I don't even drink, and I'd consider being drunk too.

“We want people to love it,” Weiss says. “It matters a lot to us. “We’ve spent 11 years doing this. We also know no matter what we do, even if it’s the optimal version, that a certain number of people will hate the best of all possible versions. There is no version where everybody says, ‘I have to admit, I agree with every other person on the planet that this is the perfect way to do this’ — that’s an impossible reality that doesn’t exist.

Adds Benioff: “From the beginning we’ve talked about how the show would end. A good story isn’t a good story if you have a bad ending. Of course we worry.”
Benioff is pretty blunt about his finale viewing plans. “I plan to be very drunk,” he says, “and very far from the internet.”

I can't even imagine the frustration of having most likely the most important work you will ever do in your career, be subject to a large percentage of its fans going meh as soon as the see it. I don't even drink, and I'd consider being drunk too.
A battle for a full episode that might be 90 minutes? This should be interesting.

I feel like this is driving the failure of the final book. Martin knows he won't make people happy so he'll just leave some memoirs and let another writer do it. This way people can get resolution and blame the failure on a new writer.

I feel like this is driving the failure of the final book. Martin knows he won't make people happy so he'll just leave some memoirs and let another writer do it. This way people can get resolution and blame the failure on a new writer.
People give GRRM a hard time about finishing the series, but can you imagine the pressure he is under? Stephen King admitted he felt tremendous pressure to finish The Dark Tower series and he didn't have the added problem of having to compete with one of the most popular series in the history of television based on his own work.

It's a true double edged sword. You created a universe and character population that millions are borderline obsessed with. Knowing that whatever you do, roughly half won't like it has got to be at best daunting, but more likely stifling the very process by which you would use to even get there. I think it played into why George Lucas sold Star Wars. You can't win no matter what you do. Too many Annie Wilkes out there these days with internet access.

Plus the added component of having more money than you know what to do with. Probably hard to keep motivated when you're no longer writing for your food.

Plus the added component of having more money than you know what to do with. Probably hard to keep motivated when you're no longer writing for your food.
I don't think that is the case. He's been writing. Fire and Blood was released in November.

I don't think that is the case. He's been writing. Fire and Blood was released in November.

He works hard, no doubt. But it seems to be working hard at whatever new projects are the most fun. I'm guessing SOIAF is more of a chore than enjoyment now.

He has his hands in a lot of different projects, but they're the ones he wants to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom