TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (67 Viewers)

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
OK, rewatching now.. apologize if someone's said this exact same thing but as Tyrion is trying to sell Dany on sparing the people of KL, Dany says they "think our Mercy is our weakness." And at the end of the scene when Tyrion is talking about the ringing of the bell, Dany and Grey Worm exchange a look.

I think Dany decided she'd display the exact opposite of what she perceived Cersei to believe was her weakness. After Cersei killed Misandei, Dany broke and decided that no matter what she was burning down KL.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well if she were not a tyrant, and saw that the Westerosi did not really want her to rule over them, she should have left. Her family was overthrown. At that point she really has no entitlement to the throne. The people should be able to choose who they want to follow just like the North did with Jon.
Well let’s be clear- the north was able to choose bc there really wasn’t anyone with a claim to Winterfell

But I think 2884, has the right take - think of Dany less as a tyrant and more as a revolutionary (and perhaps a bit of a zealot)
But if you want to talk claim, walking into a fire and coming out unburnt with 3 baby dragons, is 100x more of a ‘claim’ than anyone else who’s ruled in Westeros

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So are you saying that she is no longer the breaker of chains, but a slaver (as that is what the Dothraki truly are)? Are you okay with this? How does she rule over Mereen as well if she is now a slaver? To me a tyrant is the same as a slaver anyway, so even if you don’t think she is a slaver, the question still stands.
She made the Dothraki renounce their ways

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
I’m going to add this to the KL vs Atomic Bombs in Japan:

I’ll side with the argument of the bombs being worse than Dany burning King’s Landing.

For one simple reason:

Nobody died in King’s Landing. Not really anyway. They were all actors and the deaths were cinematic vs the horrors that the Japanese people faced.

But ... had this been a real life situation- Dany’s was worse since there was no valid reason to do what she did. “We’ll show them that Mercy is our strength” is what she said after “they think mercy is our weakness” ... there was absolutely no Mercy at all.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A point I heard today was that she was absolutely punishing the innocents because they were crying out to ring the bells in surrender and fear instead of rising up in support of her to overthrow Cersei. The ringing bells that triggered the 'nuclear attack' were the final straw to remind her she's not loved in Westeros.

"Oh you're scared? I'll show you something to be scared of..."
Lol well she didn't give them much time to rise up! They were just like dear god make it stop. Please stop blowing fire in our general direction! I would've been screaming to ring the bells myself. At that point the people didn't give a hoot in hell about rebelling or who was going to rule over them. It was just about survival.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
k it's a funny meme, but i think it exposes a central problem with fan perception
fans are like, 'how can this be some precision weapon in e5 and then pea shooters in e6
that's overlooking the plainly obvious to get to the less accessible complaint,,,

in e5 euron landed a sucker punch on a still very wounded, wobbly dragon
Drogon even surprised with a freaking out Dany on him, easily dodged the rest of the scorpion bolts
so his counterattack on the scorpions in e6 should have been easily predicted

now not only is this not sloppy storytelling, it's insightful about the war,
when Qyburn is like...'maybe we should bdp' Cersei was like, ''we just need one shot'
she'd staked her entire strategy on a scorpion bolt taking out drogon
that's it - that's all she had
Tywin to Cersie: I don't distrust you bc you are a woman, I distrust you bc you re not as smart as you think you are'

putting all of her faith in a ineffective weapon
Tywin was right

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm actually fine with this. History is full of terrible generals that got their men killed through their own stupidity, lack of planning, hubris, etc.

Not everyone is Sun-Tzu or Admiral Halsey
Bull Halsey was an awful leader. He was the right man in right place right after Pearl Harbor but the rest of career was one disaster after another. From the Battle of Leyte Gulf to twice sailing, knowingly, into massive typhoons which sank ships and killed many American sailors. The only thing that kept him from being forced to retire was his fame and the false impression of the public that he was a great tactician.

Just sayin.....

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
from my quick reading on it it seems like the higher-ups in Japan were split on what to do after the first bombing, it doesn't appear to me that they had made the absolute decision to stop fighting at that point.

Edit: Or what DaveXA said lol. Either way, it's different than what Dany did.
They finally decided to surrender when Russia entered they war and took the Salkaleen (sp?) Islands which they still occupy to this day. There just wasn't enough time to get the word out.

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just sort of feel that Arya is going to get hurt and pull the old "let me go, I've seen too much death" line. I believe Dany stopped eating not because of a fear of poison, but because she was sad, angry and may have been pms'ing lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 44, Guests: 22)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom