TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (3 Viewers)

Just binged watched the entire series starting around first week of december.

I never wanted the give the series a chance, i didnt think it would be for me.... but...

It is absolutely fantastic and the best show i ever seen. It upsets me that any other show i watch will never match this one.
I've been doing the same, although this is probably my third time through the series.

Any other shows you recommend? I want to get attached to another show
I'm about 3 episodes into Nightflyers. It's a GRRM novella. Enjoying it so far.

The Expanse is another worth checking out.

Last edited:
I've had a hard time getting into it. It's good and in a genre I've always wanted to see well done on TV. But it's just so stressful. I feel exhausted after every episode. I have a hard time getting into something that does that to me in my free time.

Rome. It was another HBO and it's only 2 seasons but worth it imo. Fun fact HBO cancelled Rome so they could pick up another show. That show was yup Game of Thrones.

You only have yourself to blame, but don't beat yourself up too much. You're like a junkie who found a new fix in some synthetic derivative of your favorite base. You burned through it and enjoyed a hell of a ride. But shows like this come around once in a lifetime. The only other current thing I can compare it to is the MCU. So if you're not caught up on all the Marvel movies, that's your best bet.

And I'll add another vote for Expanse, even though I keep falling asleep and still haven't finished the first season. I'm getting too old for this sheet.

Rome. It was another HBO and it's only 2 seasons but worth it imo. Fun fact HBO cancelled Rome so they could pick up another show. That show was yup Game of Thrones.
Ok good call. I will for sure watch this and give you my feedback after.

Seen breaking bad.... it was my favorite show of all time until i watched game of thrones...

And i thought game of thrones wouldnt be for me. What an idiot.

Both have a 9.5 rating.

Attachments

• 88113CB4-7321-42D6-A09F-B18E432F3236.png
    88113CB4-7321-42D6-A09F-B18E432F3236.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

From my understanding Rome was cancelled along with Deadwood because the company went though a stupidity period after The Sopranos(which also helped kill of Carnivale a few years earlier). And I would argue they still haven’t fully recovered from that.

Not really because of GoT. As the rights to GoT came after the announcement to end Rome after its second season. GoT was the make up for quickly realizing how badly they forked up killing off all their premiere dramas during a period before they recognized DVR, subscription retainment, overseas sales, buzz factor, and DVD sales should be factored into their formulas for determining show and network success. It was also simultaneously a period when they were trimming series overhead costs to the bone and wanting everything to operate on the budget of Sex and the City and Entourage unless you were The Sopranos. It’s why David Milch was pushed to move on from Deadwood to John from Cincinnati and you got a bunch of replacement dramas like Big Love and True Blood that were much cheaper to produce.

I wish I could find the quote but the new execs that came in after that era of penny pinching blew up in their faces basically said that had they factored in DVD sales and other metrics they now use to determine show success(which partially came out of recognizing they screwed up here) Rome would of never been cancelled. They would of said fork the BBC’s cold feet and soldiered on.

Just binged watched the entire series starting around first week of december.

I never wanted the give the series a chance, i didnt think it would be for me.... but...

It is absolutely fantastic and the best show i ever seen. It upsets me that any other show i watch will never match this one.
I think if GoT flipped it’s politics/religion emphasis, and was set in space, it would be Battlestar Gallactica

From my understanding Rome was cancelled along with Deadwood because the company went though a stupidity period after The Sopranos(which also helped kill of Carnivale a few years earlier). And I would argue they still haven’t fully recovered from that...

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know any of this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom