TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (1 Viewer)

I’m going to add this to the KL vs Atomic Bombs in Japan:

I’ll side with the argument of the bombs being worse than Dany burning King’s Landing.

For one simple reason:

Nobody died in King’s Landing. Not really anyway. They were all actors and the deaths were cinematic vs the horrors that the Japanese people faced.

But ... had this been a real life situation- Dany’s was worse since there was no valid reason to do what she did. “We’ll show them that Mercy is our strength” is what she said after “they think mercy is our weakness” ... there was absolutely no Mercy at all.

A point I heard today was that she was absolutely punishing the innocents because they were crying out to ring the bells in surrender and fear instead of rising up in support of her to overthrow Cersei. The ringing bells that triggered the 'nuclear attack' were the final straw to remind her she's not loved in Westeros.

"Oh you're scared? I'll show you something to be scared of..."

Lol well she didn't give them much time to rise up! They were just like dear god make it stop. Please stop blowing fire in our general direction! I would've been screaming to ring the bells myself. At that point the people didn't give a hoot in hell about rebelling or who was going to rule over them. It was just about survival.

k it's a funny meme, but i think it exposes a central problem with fan perception
fans are like, 'how can this be some precision weapon in e5 and then pea shooters in e6
that's overlooking the plainly obvious to get to the less accessible complaint,,,

in e5 euron landed a sucker punch on a still very wounded, wobbly dragon
Drogon even surprised with a freaking out Dany on him, easily dodged the rest of the scorpion bolts
so his counterattack on the scorpions in e6 should have been easily predicted

now not only is this not sloppy storytelling, it's insightful about the war,
when Qyburn is like...'maybe we should bdp' Cersei was like, ''we just need one shot'
she'd staked her entire strategy on a scorpion bolt taking out drogon
that's it - that's all she had
Tywin to Cersie: I don't distrust you bc you are a woman, I distrust you bc you re not as smart as you think you are'

putting all of her faith in a ineffective weapon
Tywin was right

I'm actually fine with this. History is full of terrible generals that got their men killed through their own stupidity, lack of planning, hubris, etc.

Not everyone is Sun-Tzu or Admiral Halsey
Bull Halsey was an awful leader. He was the right man in right place right after Pearl Harbor but the rest of career was one disaster after another. From the Battle of Leyte Gulf to twice sailing, knowingly, into massive typhoons which sank ships and killed many American sailors. The only thing that kept him from being forced to retire was his fame and the false impression of the public that he was a great tactician.

Just sayin.....

from my quick reading on it it seems like the higher-ups in Japan were split on what to do after the first bombing, it doesn't appear to me that they had made the absolute decision to stop fighting at that point.

Edit: Or what DaveXA said lol. Either way, it's different than what Dany did.
They finally decided to surrender when Russia entered they war and took the Salkaleen (sp?) Islands which they still occupy to this day. There just wasn't enough time to get the word out.

I just sort of feel that Arya is going to get hurt and pull the old "let me go, I've seen too much death" line. I believe Dany stopped eating not because of a fear of poison, but because she was sad, angry and may have been pms'ing lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom