TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (11 Viewers)

Think it'd be more accurate to say you're basically duck hunting with a crossbow

This is an experiment you can actually do in the real world.

Get a drone, put a 3d shell of a dragon around it that's to scale as if your crossbow was a Scorpion. If the drone gets to within X feet of you, you're dead. Get fifty of your friends together and see if anyone can hit the dragon.

My guess is that unless you all get shellacked, that dragon's going to be full of holes ten times out of ten.

Then in the last episode they couldn't miss. They were able to land clean shots with ease.

So we're just totally ignoring where Drogon dodged, literally, an entire volley?

I believe he dodged the volley because it was in the script. He learned to come in with the sun behind him, get low below the scorpions, and also come in from the side and above. He learned the 5 rules.

This is an experiment you can actually do in the real world.

Get a drone, put a 3d shell of a dragon around it that's to scale as if your crossbow was a Scorpion. If the drone gets to within X feet of you, you're dead. Get fifty of your friends together and see if anyone can hit the dragon.

My guess is that unless you all get shellacked, that dragon's going to be full of holes ten times out of ten.

You hunt much Taurus?

I don't. But I know that hitting a duck with a shotgun filled with bird shot, much less with a cross-bow, is really pretty difficult. Especially if the cross-bow or gun you are using is in a solid mount that won't allow you to fire while tracking at the same speed that the target is moving. There is a reason people shoot skeet with shotguns instead of cross-bows or AR-15s. Add in a smart duck that dodges and a whole new level of difficulty is reached. And a dragon is a whole lot faster and quicker than you average mallard.

So, I'm just saying that Euron hitting the first dragon was actually more improbable than the second dragon dodging all the shots. And, I think the only reason the first one was hit is because it was coming straight on, in no particular hurry, and not dodging. And for the subsequent shots it was just hovering because it was hurt. Actually, much like drones do which would make them much easier targets than a moving dragon.

Last edited:
Watched it again last night. The scorpions were beyond useless. They only got off two shots. All those scorpions on ships and around the walls, I counted two shots. I understand that Dany flew out of the sun but you'd think that they had no idea that a dragon was coming.

They made a point to show us that the scorpions were a viable threat. Bron was able to hit Drogon with what was basically a prototype. Then in the last episode they couldn't miss. They were able to land clean shots with ease. That was a little uneven but it's a minor thing for me.

The "battle" was embarrassing. It was awesome to see the full extent of a full grown dragon's power. It was like Drogon was breathing napalm laced with C4. Just imagine if Dany would've went straight to King's Landing when she had all three!

"guidomerkinsrules, post: 7587094,
Drogon got hit in the fog of war by a previously unknown weapon
Rhaegal was essentially limping and had almost no maneuverability (proving Sansa right about the need to rest, btw)
but after the killshot attack when Drogon/Dany got away this is how the next military strategy meeting should go
Euron: I got the small one
Cersei: and the big one?
Euron:...
Cersei: ok, so when you had the element of surprise and the shock of losing a brother/child dragon, you could not hit the very, very big dragon?
Euron...
how many bolts did you shoot at it?
Euron: i lost count at 30
Cersei: 30?
Euron: plus
Cersie: so you feel confident that now that Dany/Drogon know our position at sea and on land having seen Drogon already evade 30plus bolts and the ability to strike at great speed from most any direction you feel confident that we can land that shot?
Euron, Qyburn:...[/QUOTE]

In retrospect, had Dany gone straight to King's Landing when she got there and taken it, maybe the NK is never able to knock down the wall and the army of the dead all ends up being burned down at the base of the wall by three dragons? I mean, she could have done it then without burning the whole city and she wouldn't have already been out of her mind and the Mad Queen when she got there.

She should have listened to Lady Olenna and been a dragon right then and there. She could have just burned the Red Keep and many lives would have been saved.

I would've loved to have seen that. It would've been awesome if the Night King was the final villain. Even if Dany becomes the Mad Queen that's fine, at least we could still root for her against the Night King.

The Mad Queen vs The Night King would've been awesome.

I would've loved to have seen that. It would've been awesome if the Night King was the final villain. Even if Dany becomes the Mad Queen that's fine, at least we could still root for her against the Night King.

The Mad Queen vs The Night King would've been awesome.

Until they marry and have the Mad Night Prince(ss).

Exactly this. Had she flown straight towards the Red Keep and landed Drogon on top of it the people might've come out cheering just knowing that the war was over. Knowing that their new ruler vanquished the tyrant and the oppression was over. It could've been V -KL Day. Instead it was a massacre the likes of which Westeros has never seen. No other ruler has committed an atrocity on this scale.

I think the OG Targaryen actually did something similar or even more massive when he unified the 7 Kingdom's in the first place. I haven't read the books but I was pointed to some history that seems to suggest He burnt it all and eventually the other Kingdom's bent the knee to them with the North and Dorne being the last two hold outs.

I agree with your overall point though, Dany had little to no reason to do what she did in the moment that she did it. It's all well and good her descent into madness and sure it was foreshadowed that she was capable of such things but for her to just start mowing down innocents when the war was over is precisely the sort of thing that she as a character had resisted and actively campaigned against for most of her time on the show. If it's a message to Sansa and anyone else who might betray/challenge her rule then it's as much if not more so a rallying cry for those who think she needs to be 86'd. The only thing it might have accomplished is that some people could now see any Targaryen as a threat to the realm and therefore decide that even Jon Snow/Aegon, despite him being Ned Stark's son through and through, cannot take the throne either because of who he really is. That's assuming that Varys' ravens got that entire story out (I think they did) and that there's nothing anyone can do to backtrack it (remains to be seen but probably not with one episode left).

As far anyone blaming the fans and their desire to be serviced, the writers did this to themselves when they got offered 30 more episodes and chose to end it in 13. I understand they wanted to move on to their Star Wars project but they still could've done at the least two more full seasons (10 for 7, 10 for 8) especially considering the two year wait for season 8 anyway. Ultimately their job is to write successful TV and Film and it seems like they're not quite sticking the landing here. If they really botch this final episode in their haste I could see Disney axe them from Star Wars anyway.

"guidomerkinsrules, post: 7587094,
Drogon got hit in the fog of war by a previously unknown weapon
Rhaegal was essentially limping and had almost no maneuverability (proving Sansa right about the need to rest, btw)
but after the killshot attack when Drogon/Dany got away this is how the next military strategy meeting should go
Euron: I got the small one
Cersei: and the big one?
Euron:...
Cersei: ok, so when you had the element of surprise and the shock of losing a brother/child dragon, you could not hit the very, very big dragon?
Euron...
how many bolts did you shoot at it?
Euron: i lost count at 30
Cersei: 30?
Euron: plus
Cersie: so you feel confident that now that Dany/Drogon know our position at sea and on land having seen Drogon already evade 30plus bolts and the ability to strike at great speed from most any direction you feel confident that we can land that shot?
Euron, Qyburn:...
[/QUOTE]

Instead of sending Bronn on a pointless murder mission they should've had him manning a scorpion. He was able to get off two shots and landed one. He's batting .500.

You hunt much Taurus?

I don't. But I know that hitting a duck with a shotgun filled with bird shot, much less with a cross-bow, is really pretty difficult. Especially if the cross-bow or gun you are using is in a solid mount that won't allow you to fire while tracking at the same speed that the target is moving. There is a reason people shoot skeet with shotguns instead of cross-bows or AR-15s. Add in a smart duck that dodges and a whole new level of difficulty is reached. And a dragon is a whole lot faster and quicker than you average mallard.

So, I'm just saying that Euron hitting the first dragon was actually more improbable than the second dragon dodging all the shots. And, I think the only reason the first one was hit is because it was coming straight on, in no particular hurry, and not dodging. And for the subsequent shots it was just hovering because it was hurt. Actually, much like drones do which would make them much easier targets than a moving dragon.

If you have 500 ships, it's basically a shotgun with quarrels instead of birdshot.

To scale, the paper dragon would be larger than a California Condor and he has to get to point-blank range to use his breath.

Rhaegal was hit at the far end of their range before Dany could see the armada. The followup shots at a retreating Drogon were low-percentage at best.

Flip the script to where Drogon gets wounded or killed and we'd all be saying what an idiot Dany was to fly right at the guns knowing how deadly they are.

It's lazy writing in that a couple simple changes would have fixed it.

IE: Light up the fleet at night. Doing so would build on the known ability of Scorpions to kill dragons yet resulted in the same devastation. We just wouldn't have gotten the hero shot of Euron being blown into the sea.

It's the same problem that has plagued this season from the get-go. They've subjugated story and characterization to the pursuit of spectacle.

agreed
aside from Bran, arya is the next character who was most likely to be the NK killer (bc of assasin training)
all of our heroes - and Jon in particular - had faced off v the NK and lost (Jon a couple of times)
and nothing told us that Jon had leveled up to be able to take out NK -- esp when we saw NK was immune to dragon fire

Please stop this madness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom