TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (6 Viewers)

And have it be where he's not that bad a dude. Like yeah, it's going to be colder than normal, but I'll let you live in peace as long as you swear fealty to me and accept my rule.

Or just let all the First Men go back to where they came from.

I've got the first seven seasons on DVD. Prior to the last season I was considering upgrading and buying the box set on blu ray. Instead I've got a permanently incomplete set that will likely end up donated to the local library before we ever watch it again.

Which is a shame -- the first four seasons were four of the best seasons of TV ever made, and I thought season 6 was a pretty good return to form after the sub par season 5. But the last season took such a huge dump on the entire series that it tainted the whole thing.

I've got the first seven seasons on DVD. Prior to the last season I was considering upgrading and buying the box set on blu ray. Instead I've got a permanently incomplete set that will likely end up donated to the local library before we ever watch it again.

Which is a shame -- the first four seasons were four of the best seasons of TV ever made, and I thought season 6 was a pretty good return to form after the sub par season 5. But the last season took such a huge dump on the entire series that it tainted the whole thing.

Yeah, tbh, I just tell people to avoid season 8 altogether unless they're gluttons for punishment.

As for me, I've made my peace with it. It's still hugely disappointing, but I just pretend 8 is a different show than the rest of it.

We sort of stopped around Season 2 and with all this about the terrible final season, I don't know if I should pick it back up (or start over)

I was okay up until the attack on Kings Landing. Yeah, S6 was the weakest season and it was obvious they were rushing things but my expectations weren't that high. Unlike a lot of other people I was just fine with the final battle with the Ice King. It was never that big a part of the story anyway.

After that it just fell off the cliff.

None of the endings of various stories were particularly bad, they were just done badly.

We sort of stopped around Season 2 and with all this about the terrible final season, I don't know if I should pick it back up (or start over)

It's like if The Lord of the Rings had Sauron trip and fall off the top of Barad-Dur just as Frodo and Sam are escaping Shelob. Then the rest of the book is about curbstomping Saruman and Gandalf just randomly kills Aragorn so they make Gimli king.

The end.

As a wee lad I had the hots for Diana Rigg from The Avengers.

As for the last season of GOT, I tried hard not to let it bring down the series as a whole and tried to even defend it. I was looking forward to buying the entire series, maybe on some collector Blu Ray product or something. But that final season tainted it too badly. Some say the last two seasons were bad. I disagree with that. Just the last season and abrupt wrapping up of things was the killer. It went from my #1 best show ever to an afterthought. I still have to rank it high because of the superb quality up to that point, but I rank it grudgingly.

And did I mention I had a boy crush on Diana Rigg, aka Emma Peel, in the 60's? It was great to see her finish her career playing such an awesome character like Olenna Tyrell.

It's like if The Lord of the Rings had Sauron trip and fall off the top of Barad-Dur just as Frodo and Sam are escaping Shelob. Then the rest of the book is about curbstomping Saruman and Gandalf just randomly kills Aragorn so they make Gimli king.

The end.
Oddly, I just finished re-reading the trilogy this month. I had last read it in the late 70's so I forgot a lot about it, so I really liked the movies. Now, I've become "that guy" who's miffed with Peter Jackson for taking such liberties with the storyline. It was his job to finally and properly bring it to life with the great CGI capabilities afforded to him. And even a few moments of Hollywooding would have been okay. And you'd have to give him some license to cut some stuff (like Bombadil and Prince Imrahil) for length. But among the many liberties he took, the early conclusion of Sauraman and the ghost soldiers going all the way to Minas Tirith to physically mow over the enemy was terrible.

Just communicate the great story with the great, advanced film making tools available.

I don't understand you people. I feel like we were watching two different shows. Could season 8 have been better? Yes. Was it bad? To me, not even close.

Compared to the rest of the series, it was awful. Compared to other lesser series, it wasn't all that bad. I didn't like the last season, but I wouldn't exactly call it unwatchable, just a mess after the expectations were so high after 7 seasons.

Compared to the rest of the series, it was awful. Compared to other lesser series, it wasn't all that bad. I didn't like the last season, but I wouldn't exactly call it unwatchable, just a mess after the expectations were so high after 7 seasons.

Again, I disagree. I don't think it was awful compared to the rest of the series. I have it in 4K and will watch it but am deciding on whether to start from season 1 or not. Also, I'm busy re-watching Babylon 5 and then will watch Deep Space Nine for the first time.

So as someone who has never watched the show, I ask-

should I or nah?
Are you a ‘along for the ride’ type or an ultimate destination type?
If you are good with taking a journey, then definitely pick it up
But if you want everything to mount to rewarding ending then don’t bother

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom