TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (4 Viewers)

GOT set the new bar even with that crappy, stupid, rage inducing final season. Did you see where the 1st Season of the new LOTR series had a $1B Production Cost? I am curious to see how that series plays out.
The article I read said that they paid a billion for the rights but that Season 1 cost just under 500 million.

Somehow I don't think they are going to see a satisfying ROI on that

Yeah, I can't either especially since the movies were so well done. I don't understand why you wouldn't invest that $1.5 Billion into doing something that hasn't been done already. He's not Tolkein but they could have brought to life one of Sanderson's series and gave people something that they haven't seen before.

Yeah, I can't either especially since the movies were so well done. I don't understand why you wouldn't invest that $1.5 Billion into doing something that hasn't been done already. He's not Tolkein but they could have brought to life one of Sanderson's series and gave people something that they haven't seen before.
as someone who has stopped asking why people want to stage Hamlet for the 50th time instead of producing a new play, i don't know what to tell you

as someone who has stopped asking why people want to stage Hamlet for the 50th time instead of producing a new play, i don't know what to tell you

I suppose if I was a bigger fan of LOTR, I'd get it. If someone wanted to produce a series based on Harry Potter, a season for every book, I'd be all in. But even still I think that's different. The entire story hadn't been told when they started making the movies so I think a retelling now would actually make sense. More informed casting could be done (looking at you Ginny Weasley).

Well, more than that, you wouldn't have to put 1.5 bil into a new property. They're dirt cheap. Then spend like half a bil making it good and you've created a new franchise.

On the one hand, it is "new" in the sense that its not truly Lord of the Rings but from earlier in the timeline of Middle Earth. And proven properties are obviously going to get more money than unproven ones. Marvel started with shoestring budgets in phase one before they proved they deserved more money.

On the other hand, that is an utterly absurd amount of money and there is zero chance they recoup that. I'm guess they're using this as a money sink on a proven property to draw subscribers in. As the streaming wars get hotter you'll probably see some dumb levels of money being tossed about.

Well, more than that, you wouldn't have to put 1.5 bil into a new property. They're dirt cheap. Then spend like half a bil making it good and you've created a new franchise.
Oh for sure. I just meant imagine if instead of paying out a 1B for something that well known and has been done extremely well farely recently and putting that money toward something that could be really good if it had the budget fantasy scripts require to be done right.

HBO did just that with GOT, but as usual TV producers are slow to learn the lesson. So we'll get a LOTR series that will be compared to the movies and the bar it set and a GOT spin off that no one asked for. And about that...Talk about not reading the room. I don't know who's excited to watch that show after that horrific ending to GOT.

Adaptation #51: All the characters have Benjamin Button syndrome.

Writer: "We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here..."

The movies were only done once in live action and this takes place before them. I have zero issues with them doing this show. I just don't see how they will make money off of it just based off of the sheer amount they're spending on it. How many people do they need to subscribe to their service in order to make money off it? And they plan on doing 5 seasons so the show is going to cost them 4 billion or more. They'll probably release it weekly because they're doing 20 episodes a season. They may even take a week or two break here and there so they can stretch out the monthly subscriptions. They're taking a huge gamble and I hope it works out because then that means the show is awesome and I'd LOVE to watch an awesome LOTR show.

Oh for sure. I just meant imagine if instead of paying out a 1B for something that well known and has been done extremely well farely recently and putting that money toward something that could be really good if it had the budget fantasy scripts require to be done right.

HBO did just that with GOT, but as usual TV producers are slow to learn the lesson. So we'll get a LOTR series that will be compared to the movies and the bar it set and a GOT spin off that no one asked for. And about that...Talk about not reading the room. I don't know who's excited to watch that show after that horrific ending to GOT.
I'm looking forward to more GoT shows. I'm one of the few that liked season 8. Also, I don't understand people using that phrase that I bolded. Most things that we get no one asked for so why is that a prerequisite?

I'm looking forward to more GoT shows. I'm one of the few that liked season 8. Also, I don't understand people using that phrase that I bolded. Most things that we get no one asked for so why is that a prerequisite?

Yeah, I'd love more GOT. But I'm not optimistic we'll get one anytime soon. I didn't hate season 8 either, but it was still a big drop-off from previous seasons.

Yeah, I'd love more GOT. But I'm not optimistic we'll get one anytime soon. I didn't hate season 8 either, but it was still a big drop-off from previous seasons.
Again I'm rare with this opinion but I didn't find that to be the case at all. There are a couple of things I would've done differently but I thought the season was awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom