TV HBO picks up George RR Martin series - Game of Thrones (12 Viewers)

Again I'm rare with this opinion but I didn't find that to be the case at all. There are a couple of things I would've done differently but I thought the season was awesome.

I could tell the dialogue, and plot points were progressively getting worse from season 6 onwards. I honestly feel like it's mostly Martin's fault. D/D weren't good at original content, but that's also not what they signed up for.

Whatever series they come up with will need a strong creative team. There isn't as much fleshed out in the Ice, and Fire book.

The wait for books from Martin, and Rothfuss will be over a decade this year.

I could tell the dialogue, and plot points were progressively getting worse from season 6 onwards. I honestly feel like it's mostly Martin's fault. D/D weren't good at original content, but that's also not what they signed up for.

Whatever series they come up with will need a strong creative team. There isn't as much fleshed out in the Ice, and Fire book.

Exactly. I'd love to wrong about it but if how GoT ended is any indication, this will go down hill fast. But who knows, Martin has clearly not been writing book six, so it's totally possible this next show is what he's been working on for the past 4 or 5 years.

Martin certainly bears ultimate responsibility, but the DDs really seemed to become petulant and passive aggressive in the last season turning one of the all time great fantasy shows into a middlin action show

and disagree about Fire & Blood
All the beats are already written/known
There’s enough room with unreliable narrators to allow creativity and lots of character intrigue

Martin certainly bears ultimate responsibility, but the DDs really seemed to become petulant and passive aggressive in the last season turning one of the all time great fantasy shows into a middlin action show

There’s enough room with unreliable narrators to allow creativity and lots of character intrigue
Completely agree. I think that the lack of source material hurt...but DD still had great moments without source material. Look at the Hardhome episode and season 5 finale...both were significant deviations away from source material and frankly, I thought that they were better than the book. Same goes with season 6 finale...just perfect and it didn’t have source material. The biggest failure was that it was rushed and the attention to details weren’t quite there like they were there through the first 5-6 seasons. Part of it was the source material problem but it was also just rushed because DD were ready to move on. If they would have given the final two seasons just a few more episodes I think that it would have been fine.

I really don't think D/D ruined the last season on purpose. They never showed the ability to write long stretches of plot/dialogue of GoT by themselves. The earlier seasons are better for a reason. Ice, and Fire is largely a detailed outline of plot points. There was not a ton of dialogue in that book. It will need a better creative team then D/D because it has less source material. That's really not an easy feat. I would remind everyone David Benioff was not a bad author himself. He wrote 25th hour, Kite Runner, and City of Thieves.

My personal opinion is looking back they gave us 5 season of some of the best television ever. They never got a fair shot at the final seasons because of the source material never being finished.

I really don't think D/D ruined the last season on purpose. They never showed the ability to write long stretches of plot/dialogue of GoT by themselves. The earlier seasons are better for a reason. Ice, and Fire is largely a detailed outline of plot points. There was not a ton of dialogue in that book. It will need a better creative team then D/D because it has less source material. That's really not an easy feat. I would remind everyone David Benioff was not a bad author himself. He wrote 25th hour, Kite Runner, and City of Thieves.

My personal opinion is looking back they gave us 5 season of some of the best television ever. They never got a fair shot at the final seasons because of the source material never being finished.
It seemed to me that they got senioritis bad - they couldn’t wait to get to their next project (again mostly not their fault), but they did themselves no favors in how they handled the last season
before the last season, they could have written their check for their next 5 projects
that seems to have dried up considerably

[Shadow and Bone]
We watched the first two episodes last night - meh - does it get better?

[Edit: we finished season one - still meh - but not bad enough to not finish the season.]

Last edited:
What's this LOTR series y'all are talking about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom