HBO planning Watchmen series... (1 Viewer)

I feel like a series is a better format than a movie (and the movie just didn't work at all*), but I still feel like Watchmen is so innately and uniquely a product of the comic book medium that it's not really adaptable in any meaningful way. You can retell the story, sure, but there's so much more to it than that, from the commentary on the progression from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age of comics to the art layouts intentionally aping the Harvey Kurtzman and EC Comics style to The Curse of the Black Freighter working not just as a commentary on the place of comic books in society but also as a meta commentary on the story itself. More than anything, Watchmen is a comic book about comic books. Just by virtue of adapting it you lose a lot of that.

Maybe they knock it out of the park, though. I certainly hope so.

*I will give the movie credit for one thing. That opening credits sequence was incredible.

agreed - series makes much more sense, esp if they can play with the source material a bit (ala American Gods)
Lindlehof is curious choice - I think it's great for the Watchmen, but it seems an odd choice for him for his next project

I enjoyed to the first episode, but so far it's only tangentially connected to The Watchmen. So little in fact that they could have just made this its own show.

Maybe it will connect more later but the loose connections that existed had no impact on the story.

This show is one of the stranger things I've ever seen. It's like they were afraid for this idea to try and fly on it's own so they attached the Watchmen title to it and made a few weak connections to validate it.

And the thing is...I think theres some interesting world building and ideas here. I almost wish it was it's own thing. Very strange.

Woah...what did I just watch?

Okay, so I hear that this show is being done by the same guy that did The Leftovers. I had huge problems with the premise of that show and it resulted in me not being able to get into. That however is a different story.

So here I am sitting down to watch what I thought was a comic book adaptation and seeing something totally different. I hadn't heard of the show until someone asked me if I had saw the first episode. So I'm watching expecting a superhero arc to develop and what I got was...was...well, I dont know. But

I enjoyed it.

Is it better than the movie, fellas? My brother and I walked out of the theater on that one. Was terribad imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom