HBOs The Newsroom (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the series?

I struggled with it first mostly because I was kind of over Sorkin'shallmark rapid fire witty banter (who talks like that)

It was the second or third episode i was about 5 minutesd away from giving up on it but something came up (I don't even remember the scene) that really caught my attention and I stayed with it.

I though that the show was fantastic whenver Jeff Daniels and/or Sam Donaldson was onscreen and not so much when they weren't.

I found the Maggie, Don, Jim subplot tiresome, and although I think Maggie is very pretty and has an incredible smile , she also seems borderline crazy.

Show is preachy and left leaning. Constantly flames the Tea Party to a crisp.

But overall I like the show very much and I'm looking forward to season 2.

PS - I've been a fan of Olivia Munn for years but in my opinion she has never ever looked hotter than she does in this show.

Opening Scene - Warning Language

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/16K6m3Ua2nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vH1gJESvfbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7vNgpQhdHGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched it. At first I kind of hated it but watched it anyway. Now I'm not sure. I agree with everything you said.

Though I'd probably watch Jeff Daniels or Sam Donaldson read the phone book. Also the economist! I enjoy her.

I watched it. At first I kind of hated it but watched it anyway. Now I'm not sure. I agree with everything you said.

Though I'd probably watch Jeff Daniels or Sam Donaldson read the phone book. Also the economist! I enjoy her.

she got a bit schizo at times towards the end. i liked her more as the well spoken really smart woman than the insecure freaking out nut bag they made her into in some episodes.

Overall, I liked the show. There was a definitely a lull in the series around episode 3 - 6 that almost lost me. Yes, the show hit the same nail repeatedly but its a good nail to hit. I like the premise, a republican that would like to see his party return to its more rational base.

I found the Maggie, Don, Jim subplot tiresome, and although I think Maggie is very pretty and has an incredible smile , she also seems borderline crazy.
If there is one part of the show that I totally dislike and (spoiler alert) find completely implausible, its the entire Maggie love triangle story line. For one, I find her completely annoying. The idea that one guy is willing to overlook that is a stretch but its downright insane to think that two guys are vying for her attention and...one of them seems to be choosing her over the hot economist Sloan (Olivia Munn). I could do without this storyline altogether.

PS - I've been a fan of Olivia Munn for years but in my opinion she has never ever looked hotter than she does in this show.
Agreed.

I liked it at first, but starting to lose interest. I like Jeff Daniels and his character a lot, but the other characters aren't really doing it for me. Mostly, as you stated, because of the lame subplots.

I watched it.. often it felt like I was watching an episode of West Wing, as far as the dialog went.

I wish HBO shows/original movies werent always so preachy.

Agreed.

I know the show has to keep the audience enthralled, but the whole thing seems entirely over-dramatic and, as quoted, preachy.

I love that show. I love that dialogue. Ive always been a big fan of smart-Alec jerks on tv like House and Will. Very powerful storytelling, but I agree they should stick with the news and get involved less with the love triangle, except for Will's and Mac's relationship.

And HBO, why haven't we seen Olivia Munn's boobs yet?

Love it. Hope they don't cancel it like they did Sorkin's last series (Studio 60) and I didn't really care for West Wing.
I wish HBO shows/original movies werent always so preachy.
True Blood and Band of Brothers were preachy?

I can't stand Aaron Sorkin's dialogue. All his characters talk in the exact same voice and he reuses the same quotes/dialogue/turns of phrase with distracting frequency, as evidenced by the YouTube video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S78RzZr3IwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He basically just does the same show over and over with a different setting (It's a sports show! Now it's the White House! Now it's cable news!)

I enjoy it. Slow start in the first few episodes but it got good. Glad HBO ordered a 2nd season.

she got a bit schizo at times towards the end. i liked her more as the well spoken really smart woman than the insecure freaking out nut bag they made her into in some episodes.
I liked her more the crazier she got. She wasn't a robot. Also, who doesn't love a crazy smart woman?

I can't stand Aaron Sorkin's dialogue. All his characters talk in the exact same voice and he reuses the same quotes/dialogue/turns of phrase with distracting frequency

He basically just does the same show over and over with a different setting (It's a sports show! Now it's the White House! Now it's cable news!)

i actually love Sorkin's words, and The West Wing is my favorite television show of all time... but i did notice, a few times, while watching TWW that he lifted some of the dialogue almost verbatim from A Few Good Men, which he also wrote-- which was okay with me though since AFGM is one of my favorite films of all time.

I thought that the Bin Laden episode was absolutely great.

And this breakdown of Nancy Grace (and other shows like hers) was very interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JQIPmXmcQPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

as much as I didn't like the love triangle I have to give them credit for somewhat evolving it.

In the early episodes Don was the typical love triangle bad guy, the jerk, the bully, the 'how could Maggie be with him' guy, the 'why would anyone want to be with him' guy.

As the show went on Don as a character grew and while Jim is still clearly supposed to be the "right Guy" Don was nowhere near the louse he was early on.

Something I thought was a little odd, all the women on the show were top notch professionals at their job but completely socially awkward, inept even.

Anyone else notice this and think it was weird?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom