Hdtv (1 Viewer)

So far I think I am trying to decide between the Panasonic Plasma 42" and the Sony Bravia LCD 40" (720p)

I have heard from people that work in electronics stores that some places have been none to purposely weaken the signal to the 720 HDTVs to make the different seem like more than it really is.

I can't confirm this as being absolutely true, but I bet it happens. Just think about it.. the majority of HDTV shoppers don't know anything about the specs, and shop by looking at the picture quality of the TV. Lower the 720 signal... make the 1080 look much better... then there is more justification for the price difference.

yea that doesnt sound impossible. if it is true, it sounds pretty smart to me. even with that said, my friend has a 50" sony bravia LCD just like mine, except his is 720p and mine is 1080p. we cant tell the difference at all.

So far I think I am trying to decide between the Panasonic Plasma 42" and the Sony Bravia LCD 40" (720p)

Well since the Sony has an 18000:1 contrast ratio, which is almost hard to believe on an LCD, I'd go with the Sony. It also won't get burn-in and I trust Sony a lot more than Panny.

What about the Sony vs. Sony Bravia vs. Sony Bravia XBR?
Is there a big difference between the three?

General Rue: "NEVER choose Plasma over LCD". Price, lifespan and power consumption all favor LCD. Nearly every major retailer will openly tell you that plasma shelf space has been shrinking for a reason. Check out any website you like, Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and see how many LCD they carry vs Plasma.

LCDs almost always use less power than plasma TVs because they don't need to power hundreds of electrodes to stimulate phosphors.

Because there is no need for gas filled or heavy glass fronts in a LCD screen, LCDs tend to be slimmer and lighter than plasmas.

Plasma screens are suspectible to something called screenburn, which occurs when a bright image, like the sky news logo, is displayed on screen for an extended period of time. The constant saturation 'tires' plasma's phosphors, leaving a permanent shadow of the bright image behind. LCD technology is pretty much immune to this problem.

We've seen some industry claims that LCD can last twice as long as plasma. It may not always be so extreme but the case but longevity is clearly won by LCD over Plasma.

Color saturation and viewing angle are slightly but nearly imperceptibly superior in Plasma.

Most people who will tell you to go for Plasma already have one. Just research this on your own and your decision will be pretty easy. I always take advice from the people on Saintsreport as most of them are an excellent and informed source of information but that doesn't mean you should give up doing a little leg work of your own. Both sets will provide a good picture.

General Rue: "NEVER choose Plasma over LCD". Price, lifespan and power consumption all favor LCD. Nearly every major retailer will openly tell you that plasma shelf space has been shrinking for a reason. Check out any website you like, Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and see how many LCD they carry vs Plasma.

LCDs almost always use less power than plasma TVs because they don't need to power hundreds of electrodes to stimulate phosphors.

Because there is no need for gas filled or heavy glass fronts in a LCD screen, LCDs tend to be slimmer and lighter than plasmas.

Plasma screens are suspectible to something called screenburn, which occurs when a bright image, like the sky news logo, is displayed on screen for an extended period of time. The constant saturation 'tires' plasma's phosphors, leaving a permanent shadow of the bright image behind. LCD technology is pretty much immune to this problem.

We've seen some industry claims that LCD can last twice as long as plasma. It may not always be so extreme but the case but longevity is clearly won by LCD over Plasma.

Color saturation and viewing angle are slightly but nearly imperceptibly superior in Plasma.

Most people who will tell you to go for Plasma already have one. Just research this on your own and your decision will be pretty easy. I always take advice from the people on Saintsreport as most of them are an excellent and informed source of information but that doesn't mean you should give up doing a little leg work of your own. Both sets will provide a good picture.

Well said, :9:

Well since the Sony has an 18000:1 contrast ratio, which is almost hard to believe on an LCD, I'd go with the Sony. It also won't get burn-in and I trust Sony a lot more than Panny.

The Sony actually has an 8000:1 contrast ratio... I am seeing other brands with ratios at 10000:1 at the same price. Does that make them better?

The Sony actually has an 8000:1 contrast ratio... I am seeing other brands with ratios at 10000:1 at the same price. Does that make them better?

No, not really, once you get over the 5000:1 mark, you're good to go IMO. The Vizio's, while they are good bang for the buck and many people love them, are only 1000:1. My projector is 2500:1 and it pops out at you pretty good.

for the record... go to avsforums and check out people who own the tv's your looking for - get their opinion. if you dont' feel like reading a lot then just get the vizio

panny plasma do not suffer from image retention or screen burn in as others in this thread have claimed. yes, i have a plasma and love it but i've yet to talk with someone who doesn't love their first hdtv.

but I felt the need to point out the errors of some in their false claims. now, if you say samsung plasmas have issues... go for it... but all plasmas? nope.

I bought a Sanyo 32" LCD from Wal-Mart for $600 and there is a 42" version of the same tv for like $900. My dad has 61" 1080p Samsung LCD, and my picture blows his out of the water. Try the Sanyo out man, even standard defenition dvds look good on it.

for the record... go to avsforums and check out people who own the tv's your looking for - get their opinion. if you dont' feel like reading a lot then just get the vizio

panny plasma do not suffer from image retention or screen burn in as others in this thread have claimed. yes, i have a plasma and love it but i've yet to talk with someone who doesn't love their first hdtv.

but I felt the need to point out the errors of some in their false claims. now, if you say samsung plasmas have issues... go for it... but all plasmas? nope.

The advice about frequenting the www.avsforum.com is very good advice indeed. I have made numerous purchases based on that site.

LOL. That's like saying that you cam buy a 32", sit two feet away from it and it's like watching a 60" screen...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom