Hdtv (1 Viewer)

i heard that if the room is well lit get an lcd. if its not get a plasma. but then again the smallest plasma you can buy is a 42" and i think that would be over $1000 if im not mistaken. so id say get the lcd. thats what i have, and its very nice.

I think that's backwards. Since plasma usually has a much higher contrast ratio (10000:1 vs. 1000:1 on a Visio) than LCD, it should provide a more vivid image in higher ambient light installations.

Vizio is cheap but near the bottom as far as quality of picture goes.

I'd recommend getting the Consumer Reports latest special edition on HDTVs, you can probably find a used copy on eBay.
You are correct. It's not top quality at all, but it's the best bang for the buck, bar none and a great entry level LCD for people who are not audio and videophiles. The standard def picture is nothing to brag about, but the HiDef get very good reviews from everyone. The default color temperature modes needed tweaking, but what LCD doesn't? Unlike most budget LCD's, the Vizio VX37L has several color customization options. With an internal HDTV tuner, it picks up OTA channels quite well with a piece of work antenna.

It scored a solid 6.6 on CNet.com. They have let to let me down on any electronic product.

You'll save quite a bit of money by getting a 720p TV. Sure there is a difference, but there isn't a HUGE difference in anything but the cost.

I guess it really depends on what you want the TV for....

You'll save quite a bit of money by getting a 720p TV. Sure there is a difference, but there isn't a HUGE difference in anything but the cost.

I guess it really depends on what you want the TV for....

Totally true, and 1080 matters less and less as the screen size gets smaller.

My parents just got a 50" Vizio Plasma TV 720p and the picture looks great. Sure the Samsung 1080p looks better, but they love it.

IMHO ones it looks real.. how more real can it look? I have a Sony 65" projection HDTV 720p and I have no complaints.... people are always drooling over the TV when they come over to watch games and movies so I wouldn't jump into the hype of 1080 until the prices come down a bit more.

We got the Vizio 37" LCD last summer from Sam's. With it being our first HDTV, I didn't want to spend 2K on something I knew nothing about. The Vizio is great for a first time HD expereince and you aren't out a ton of cash if you want more out of your tv. We are actually looking at larger tv's now and will be putting the 37" on our bedroom wall.

also remember lcd's are not true black they are more grey. plasma has true black, high contrast ratios mean blacker blacks! also coming out of the chute are 120hz or double rate scanning and for lcd's lcd backlighting instead of fluorescent.

I too have a 37 inch vizio in the bedroom and it works for me. Sure there are better quality tv's but you are going to pay for what you get. It serves its purpose for me and has a nice picture. In the living room I have a 42 inch sony that I got a few years back. Both are LCDs and I am happy.

My parents just got a 50" Vizio Plasma TV 720p and the picture looks great. Sure the Samsung 1080p looks better, but they love it.

IMHO ones it looks real.. how more real can it look? I have a Sony 65" projection HDTV 720p and I have no complaints.... people are always drooling over the TV when they come over to watch games and movies so I wouldn't jump into the hype of 1080 until the prices come down a bit more.

i agree. i have a 50" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD hdtv and it looks great. you really cant tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless there are 2 tv's next to each other, like at a retail store. if there isnt anything to compare it to, it all looks close to the same.

i agree. i have a 50" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD hdtv and it looks great. you really cant tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless there are 2 tv's next to each other, like at a retail store. if there isnt anything to compare it to, it all looks close to the same.

I have heard from people that work in electronics stores that some places have been none to purposely weaken the signal to the 720 HDTVs to make the different seem like more than it really is.

I can't confirm this as being absolutely true, but I bet it happens. Just think about it.. the majority of HDTV shoppers don't know anything about the specs, and shop by looking at the picture quality of the TV. Lower the 720 signal... make the 1080 look much better... then there is more justification for the price difference.

Any high definition tv under 36 inches you want a picture tube. Nothing beats it, you just can't get them bigger then 34 or 36.

I'm pretty sure I will get the Sharp Aquos 52" 92 LCD model with 120 mhz refresh rate. I did see a 65" Olevia LCD in Sams so I'm kinda toying around getting it. I currently have a 32" Sharp Aquos taht has performed well, but I need to go bigger.

Panasonic Plasma ALL THE WAY! Get a 42" for < $1000 (720p) and it'll blow almost every other tv out the the water, specifically 1080p 42" LCDs that are a couple hundred more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom