Head Scratching, Eye Opening, Nerdy Saints Stuff (1 Viewer)

JustaSharkie

... for nefarious reasons.
Reaction score
So, as I am watching the Saints fight their way through the 2020 season I am seeing what appears to be “bias” refereeing of the games against the Black & Gold. Even when I take my B&G glasses off, by re-watch each game, I am still seeing some questionable calls. And here I am thinking maybe, just maybe, it’s just my old-arse eyes.

I decided to download the NFL provided .pdf file on each game’s stat lines with a focus on what I am calling Backfield Plays (a combination of Sacks Allowed, Tackle for Loss, and QB Hits) which occur behind the opponent’s offensive line /-/measured against/-/ Offensive Holding Penalties. I was curious to see the correlation between the Saints aggressive defensive play and O-Line Holding calls… and vice versa to see if anything was amiss.

Here’s what the numbers bear out….

Picture1.png

Crunching all these number lays bare this fact; the Saints Defense gets a holding call, in their favor, for every 23rd play in an opponent’s backfield. At the same time, with the same referees and same field conditions, opponent’s plays in the Saints backfield nets a favorable holding call every 7th play.

That’s 23 to 7 in holding call potential and slice it anyway you want…. that is bias’d.

This latest Etlanta game is a prime example; we crushed that o-line with 26-plays in their backfield and yet, they statically played a “perfect” game with zero holding calls. Pretty amazing, huh. So, no, I don’t think it’s my eyes.

Last edited:
Applied Mathematics, right? Yeah, if you watch the line surge during the games, we get held ALOT. It's gotten to the point where you can't hold ALL of our guys. We got some monsters on that D Line

I’ll say it again. My favorite play from the game against the clowns was Treys second sack. Jake Matthews held him so badly that he tackled trey into Matt Ryan for a sack. That dude sucks and holds almost every snap.

I’ll say it again. My favorite play from the game against the clowns was Treys second sack. Jake Matthews held him so badly that he tackled trey into Matt Ryan for a sack. That dude sucks and holds almost every snap.
That might be the sack of the entire season in the NFL if you ask me.

Remember the Cam sack a couple of years ago against Atlanta, same thing happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom