Headed to NO today for the game, can it top our first NFC championship? (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am one of the original Saints fans, dating back to John Gilliam's return in 1967, ironically against the Rams in 1967.

I still get chills watching that play. But there was never a bigger tease play in NFL history. Our first play ever was a touchdown. It would be followed by years of false hope and game upon game ending with our hearts ripped out by some improbable outcome that could only happen to the Saints.

We lost so often, and in such creative ways, losing became part of our identity. I stilled loved my saints and watched every game, even games at the end of the season when we would be 2-13 or something like that.

Losing football game at the end became so much a part of my dna, that when the Vikings had the ball driving in the fourth quarter with Brett Favre at the helm in our first NFC championship game, to be honest there was not much part of me that saw us winning. I had been conditioned to lose in cruel ways for over forty years. I couldn't believe Favre threw the pick. I didn't watch the field goal to win, just closed my eyes.

I remember the joy and pandemonium after our win like it was yesterday. Cars were riding up and down canal street with horns blowing and people sitting on top. Random people were hugging and high fiving me as I walked back to my hotel. This must have been what it was like when World War 2 ended, I had never seen a celebration like it. It was so spontaneous, who would have planned we would win?

So I am headed back to New Orleans today, this time fully expecting to win. Maybe they bring in John Gilliam to lead the who dat cheer, he's still alive you know. Let him and Steve Gleason do it, talk about bring the house down.

If we win again, will it be as crazy as last time? I don't know, the first time is hard to beat. But you never know with these things, we will just have to see.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FxAMKH3ggHo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We all remember our first ;)
I don't know that this will top that first unexpected win that happened in such a dramatic fashion. I personally am hoping we kick the rams butt in a blowout and it's not even close. If we do that then for me yeah maybe it will feel just as good.

I gave up my 18 years of season tix, in part, due to 2009 season.

It was absolutely magical that entire run. Every game, every game day....just a fantastic time. After the SB, never really could "recreate" that vibe that was hovering over the City that entire season. So i figured let some young cat(s) go thru the growing pains of being a fan so they can appreciate a title run like we did.

Idk man....i dont know if anything will ever top that season. For me, nothing will top the NFCCG. We didnt leave the dome for almost an hour post game. Hugging, hi-fiving, crying - recalling all the times prior we sat there with hope and faith.

I hope all that go have the same great time as 2009. But i think because of the timing and being the "first", nothing will be able to mimic that evening.

edit....dont feel bad dude....i couldnt watch the kick either. My wife and friends never let me forget, but i turned around and said ill wait to hear the crowd.

Nothing can top the first one, but that can't take away the unquantifiable joy of another trip to the Superbowl! Have fun & REPRESENT!!!

I don’t know man. 2009 is forever etched in my memory. It’s crazy - I can basically replay every game in my head from that season, and not just the big plays.
Sunday will be special in its own way. 2009 and 2018 are both unique seasons with lots of stories to tell.

To me, the answer to this question is an easy "yes", because honestly, we really didn't play well in that NFC Championship game. Setting that aside, we're near the end of an era and a golden age of Saints football that we've never seen, and we honestly may never see again. We're a small market team, and after our 1st-ballot HOF QB and HOF coach leave the building (not to mention TB's death) how can we really say with any certainty that we won't return to being an organization that has an occasional good year or two in the midst of mediocrity?

The opportunity to grab a title or two while this window is still cracked open gives me the "juice" which rivals that of winning it for the first time. I hope our fans can appreciate how hard it is to climb back up the mountain. In today's day and age, coaches don't often last this long, and if they do, it's usually a steady decline that ends in termination. Messages and motivational tactics get stale. Play-calling strategy and coaching style are scouted and game-planned into extinction. What we are witnessing is rare for any regime, even ignoring the fact that this is the Saints we are talking about.

I couldn't be any more excited for Sunday, and at least for me, a win would be every bit as satisfying as the 1st time.....and possibly even better.

This will be my first NFC Championship game to attend. I can’t imagine what it will be like. When we win...it will be the best for me!

I think it will be just as good but in a different way and for different reasons. We are in a small window to get this done we are all in this year. Drew's time is short he knows the team know it and the fans know it. We want it for the whole organization from top to bottom and on a different level for Drew his teammates have said that for the last two years.

Last year was magical but that loss to the Vikings was crushing but there was a silver lining in that we can only comeback stronger. We opened up against Tampa on shaky ground but then got back on track on continued right back on track and built up steam. The last time we were in this situation we won the Super Bowl. We know Drew will leave soon and we have the core of our team we need to keep and we will lose some good players. The clock is ticking and the expectation is really high we have it right in front of us. We are on borrowed time and Drew deserves this not that everyone else doesn't they most certainly do.

The first one for me was just "Please somebody anybody let us win a Super Bowl in my lifetime". When we did it was euphoria beyond belief and I didn't experience the electricity of the fan base and city. I was now pleased and thought ok no matter what happens we won one and that was ok the win was that good. The first journey was the new coach and a injured QB and a ragtag bunch that we watched evolve with talent here and there but mostly just players nobody really cared about for the most part and we rose to the top. Now we are littered with talent and I personally don't want to see these last 2 years go down the drain.

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the 2009 season playoffs / NFCCG with my family and, in particular, my dad. Those are some fantastic memories. The Super Bowl was even better. Fast forward to 2019 and they're all still here, but getting along in years. I fear that this is probably the last realistic shot that we have of seeing another Super Bowl win together. The window is closing for this Drew Brees led team. I'd sure like for my dad, a life-long original Saints fan, to be able to share in the memories of another championship. A win will be no less magical than 9 years ago.

Wow, I never realized so many people didn't or couldn't look at Hartley's kick...i felt like i was the only one. Was in section 630 and a family of 3 from New Orleans by way of Chicago was sitting behind me and my ex wife with their 10 y/o son who made me cry even more. Still get chills and emotional when I think about it. I turned around to them and explained why I was so enamored with their son, because I was his age when I started going to games at the Superdome, only to be let down by so many organizational flaws. And now my son is going on 10 so yeah, I have a Saints Superbowl child. He's such a fan just like I was at that age and that's the one of many ways we bond. It's so great. He's great. I didn't have a father that was there to share anything Saints with me. I was going to games with my uncles and cousins.

This one will be very special but absolutely nothing can touch 09' season. We've all changed and grown or even regressed in some aspect in our lives but truth be told, there's no better fan experience than being a Saints fan.(.) I mean that! Win, lose, or draw, we ooze football and are TRULY PASSIONATE ABOUT "OUR TEAM"...Goodluck everybody and shouting Who Dat to the highest mountain, all the way up to heaven!

I gave up my 18 years of season tix, in part, due to 2009 season.

It was absolutely magical that entire run. Every game, every game day....just a fantastic time. After the SB, never really could "recreate" that vibe that was hovering over the City that entire season. So i figured let some young cat(s) go thru the growing pains of being a fan so they can appreciate a title run like we did.

Idk man....i dont know if anything will ever top that season. For me, nothing will top the NFCCG. We didnt leave the dome for almost an hour post game. Hugging, hi-fiving, crying - recalling all the times prior we sat there with hope and faith.

I hope all that go have the same great time as 2009. But i think because of the timing and being the "first", nothing will be able to mimic that evening.

edit....dont feel bad dude....i couldnt watch the kick either. My wife and friends never let me forget, but i turned around and said ill wait to hear the crowd.

It almost sounds like we are talking about our 1st romantic love here - lmao!

Since I've never seen the Saints win their 2nd SB, I can only guess. But if it's like the 1st romantic love, great intimacy with a beautiful lady never seems to get old old or boring ;-) What are we talking about here??? Is it Sunday? Is kick-off in a few hours? Who Dat All!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom