health, nutrition, and workout fanatics (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
heres a copy of my diet i started last week

i only have monday and tuesday written down because i was sick ALL week and didnt really care to track anything.

anyway, im trying to just build up muscle. i dont care about my weight just want to get bigger, however i dont want to gain a lot of fat in the process. in other words i would like to stay the same waist size but get bigger. im taking in about 300 grams of protein a day and about 200 grams of carbs. im trying to get more calories but i normally get about 2500 cals. and i get roughly 75 grams of fat a day.

i workout 4 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week for about 30 mins (thats all the time i have before my workout partner shows up)

what can i do to meet my goal?

Last edited:
heres a copy of my diet i started last week

i only have monday and tuesday written down because i was sick ALL week and didnt really care to track anything.

anyway, im trying to just build up muscle. i dont care about my weight just want to get bigger, however i dont want to gain a lot of fat in the process. in other words i would like to stay the same waist size but get bigger. im taking in about 300 grams of protein a day and about 200 grams of carbs. im trying to get more calories but i normally get about 2500 cals. and i get roughly 75 grams of fat a day.

i workout 4 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week for about 30 mins (thats all the time i have before my workout partner shows up)

what can i do to meet my goal?

Just make sure to take Vitamin E and/or cocoa butter while you're bulking up. It wasn't something I even thought to do when I was putting on mass. Looking back I definitely should have though. My muscles were capable of growing to any size I wanted, but my skin was not. Some people have tighter skin than others and I didn't realize that until I put on weight. Also make sure you consume enough water; it sounds like you can easily handle a gallon a day, and you'll need it with all the protein your body will process.

I dont know how much you know about nutrition and fitness overall so I will give you some help. It would really help though to know how much you weight right now and your height though. You are probably definitely going to have to eat way more calories and some more carbs but I need some more info. Don't do any cardio unless you start seeing some fat instead of muscle in which case you should cut down on the carbs and you will be ok.

Use these ratios to set up your diet: Eat this amount of calorie everyday whether you lift or not

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

As for your diet do you have a pre and post workout meal? I see the snacks and meals but I don't know what you take before and after your workouts. At least 1/3 of your total daily calories should come in the 3 hour window following your weightlifting workout. Keep fat intake to a minimum during this time. Whey protein is the desired protein source too due to its fast absorption by the body. For example:
Immediately post workout.
2 scoops whey
1 serving creatine transport + additional dextrose

1 hour post workout
1-2 scoops whey
2 potatoes

3 hours post workout
regular meal (meats, eggs, etc..)

i weigh 222 and im 5'-10". so i should stop the cardio now unless i feel like im getting fatter is what you're saying? i normally drink a shake about 4:15 and start my cardio at 4:45 and then start hitting weights about 5:15 and as far as post workout its normally just supper since i go straight home after the gym and my wife has supper ready. normally its grilled chicken with potatoes and corn or tilapia with green beans or something similar to that.

do cardio 3 times a week for about 30 mins

I read an article that said you will burn 6 times more fat and keep more muscle mass if instead of running 30 minutes straight to do them in intervals; the study listed was 12 seconds on 8 seconds off for at least 20 minutes. I had the hardest time keeping muscle mass no matter how much I ate. Wish I knew about this when I started.

Note the study was on females

i weigh 222 and im 5'-10". so i should stop the cardio now unless i feel like im getting fatter is what you're saying? i normally drink a shake about 4:15 and start my cardio at 4:45 and then start hitting weights about 5:15 and as far as post workout its normally just supper since i go straight home after the gym and my wife has supper ready. normally its grilled chicken with potatoes and corn or tilapia with green beans or something similar to that.

I wouldn't really do any cardio. If you really feel you have to then I recommend what they have already said above and do high intensity interval training(HITT) so you burn some fat but also prevent your body from burning muscle. You should follow what I posted showing how much protein, fat, carbs you need per lb.

As for your post-workout ideally you would want to follow something close (doesn't have to be exact) to the example I gave. The potatoes and everything seems good but I would add some protein. Is your protein whey as well? if you want to try and eat more you should take casein protein in combination with the whey protein. The whey should be taken after your workout since its is absorbed the fastest by your body and the casein should be taken to prevent long term muscle burning (preferably the last meal or shake before bed).

If that's a pretty accurate snapshot of the diet you're going to be on, I'd suggest supplementing with vitamins and minerals if you aren't already. At the very least, a good multi-vitamin. It looks like a really nutritionally incomplete plan.

For men doing cardio to prevent buring muscle with the fat do your cardio for 45 minutes do it in 15 minute intervals. This is what i was taught when i had to take a few exercise sience classes for a health club facility i ran for a few years.

If you try eating more to gain muscle mass avoid the sugars because they will turn to fat QUICKLY. Take in a little more carbs rice/taters/pasta ect. The right carbs will help bulk you up with out all the fat.

anyway, im trying to just build up muscle. i dont care about my weight just want to get bigger, however i dont want to gain a lot of fat in the process. in other words i would like to stay the same waist size but get bigger.

What waist size are you now?? I'm just curious because in another post you said you were 5'10" and 222 lbs.; that sounds like you're either on the "hefty" side or already muscle bound. Just based on that info (and it isn't much), it sounds like you'd want to do a bunch of cardio to drop some weight(?)

What waist size are you now?? I'm just curious because in another post you said you were 5'10" and 222 lbs.; that sounds like you're either on the "hefty" side or already muscle bound. Just based on that info (and it isn't much), it sounds like you'd want to do a bunch of cardio to drop some weight(?)

well ive been a 36 since 9th grade. but in 9th grade i was about 195-200.

well ive been a 36 since 9th grade. but in 9th grade i was about 195-200.

Get your body fat tested and then you can access your diet more accurately. Just by the info provided some of your meals are too close together try and stay about 3 hours apart. Always eat your protein and carbs combined, at times you are separating them, balance is the key. If your wife has dinner ready for your post workout meal that is ideal just make sure you get a nice serving of protein and carbs within 45 minutes after your workout. Overall it looks like you have a good grasp of what your doing. Counting calories like that is a pain and not needed. You can get an accurate serving size by comparing it to your fist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom