Heard Something on MNF (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sean McDonough said that the Eagles aren't a very good at WR's this year and that is one of their weaknesses.

That brought the thought to my mind has there ever been a time when WR was a weakness for Drew Brees. Yes we had some aging problems at WR a few years ago but still he put up ridiculous numbers, it never really mattered who he had receiving. He has never even had a Pro Bowl receiver. Which leads me to the conclusion does it take a great QB to make mediocre receivers look good or does it take great WR's to make a mediocre QB look good?

I think it is the former rather than the latter. I believe Drew is really that darn good he can make mediocre receivers look good. And I am not taking a shot at Cooks, Sneed or Thomas. IMHO they are good.

2013 and probably 14 was probably the time you could point to the WRs as an overall weakness. In 13 Drew threw way, way more to the backs and TEs than he did the WRs. No coincidence we drafted Cooks the next offseason.

Even this year, I think there have been times where there were obvious growing pains with the WR's. I recall a game early in the season against the Giants I think where just nobody was getting open the whole game. Obviously they appear to have turned the corner (literally) since then.

Well the WR has to get open or the QB has to throw him open so either or I guess.

Yea, in 2013 and 2014 there was quite a bit of clamoring for new WRs.

Sean McDonough said that the Eagles aren't a very good at WR's this year and that is one of their weaknesses.

That brought the thought to my mind has there ever been a time when WR was a weakness for Drew Brees. Yes we had some aging problems at WR a few years ago but still he put up ridiculous numbers, it never really mattered who he had receiving. He has never even had a Pro Bowl receiver. Which leads me to the conclusion does it take a great QB to make mediocre receivers look good or does it take great WR's to make a mediocre QB look good?

I think it is the former rather than the latter. I believe Drew is really that darn good he can make mediocre receivers look good. And I am not taking a shot at Cooks, Sneed or Thomas. IMHO they are good.
I would say both. QBs making WRs look better is probably more common but I remember Randy Moss and Chris Carter making Dante Cullpepper look a lot better than he was.

Have to disagree. Marques Colston was a pro bowl receiver. He most certainly put up the numbers to prove it.

Have to disagree. Marques Colston was a pro bowl receiver. He most certainly put up the numbers to prove it.

But he was never in a Pro Bowl there for he is not a Pro Bowl receiver but to that end yes I do believe he deserved to be but he might of been the most modest football player to ever play football and that really was the reason behind him not being in the Pro Bowl.

He has thrown to guys like Terrence Copper, Devery Henderson, David Patten...pretty average players at WR. But he made them serviceable for a few years with his accuracy. He has had some pretty reliable receivers throughout though, with Colston, Moore, and now Snead and Thomas being almost automatic. Brees has always made it work regardless though, because he is one of the most consistent players in the entire league.

Our Wide Receivers were never outstanding (still waiting on M Thomas, but he can be our first Pro Bowl WR). But their biggest trait was they understood the system we played in regards to matchups and formations. They always made the tough catches and made plays to move the chains. System Players. Give Drew time and he can make anyone who dedicates themselves as a route runner and pass catcher a great player in our system. Be in the right place, doing what your supposed to do on the play and anyone can be the target. Thats also what makes our system special; Drew Brees is the most accurate passer of all time. Have people dedicated to the system and its going to work. These WRs we have are special. Someone will always be open and Drew will put it in the bread basket.

Don't let that fool you. Devery was a 2nd rounder. Colston played like a 2nd rounder. Moore was equivalent to Snead, Meachem was a 1st rounder, Bush was a 1st rounder, Shockey a 2nd rounder, Graham a 3rd rounder, Sproles a 2nd or 3rd rounder, Horn was here for a year.

Don't get it twisted, Drew has constantly been surrounded by good pass catchers with an average guy or two like copper thrown in but he's always had top tier receiving threats somewhere on the field. Don't forget reggie had 70catches his 1st year I think which might as well have been another WR

Outstanding group of pass catchers no...better than anything the eagles are trotting out at this point YES. He's never been that talent deficient at skill positions

Don't let that fool you. Devery was a 2nd rounder. Colston played like a 2nd rounder. Moore was equivalent to Snead, Meachem was a 1st rounder, Bush was a 1st rounder, Shockey a 2nd rounder, Graham a 3rd rounder, Sproles a 2nd or 3rd rounder, Horn was here for a year.

Don't get it twisted, Drew has constantly been surrounded by good pass catchers with an average guy or two like copper thrown in but he's always had top tier receiving threats somewhere on the field. Don't forget reggie had 70catches his 1st year I think which might as well have been another WR

Outstanding group of pass catchers no...better than anything the eagles are trotting out at this point YES. He's never been that talent deficient at skill positions

I agree that Drew has never been talent deficient at skill positions, but many of those guys you did name were/are pretty average football players that Drew made look like quality players. Yes their draft pedigree may suggest they were great players, but I don't think in any way would players like Devery, Meach or Moore(even Snead I believe bounced around practice squads before Drew turned him into an automatic first down here) have been half the players they were without Drew! Yes Devery and Meach were both early picks, but away from New Orleans and Drew neither of them looked like an early pick!

Drew has had some talent around him for sure, but he accentuates that talent like very few other players in our game have done/will ever do. First round pick or undrafted free angent, it's never seemed to matter to that man 🙏

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom