Hearing on Owners Appeal was 4 weeks ago this Friday . . . (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First, I don't think the 8th Circuit is going to rush to issue a ruling on the NFL case if it is clear that the two sides are making progress in their negotiations. But I also think that this flury of progress seemed to really get going after the 8th Circuit oral argument where the panel of judges warned the parties that leaving their fate in the hands of the court is a bad idea. It's quite possible that a ruling on the issues in the appeal could have dramatic and long-term impact (for one or both of the parties - and they won't be able to do much about it) so the parties would be smart to get together and work this out in negotiations where they retain full control.

It was always expected that the decision could be issued in about 4 to 8 weeks after oral argument. This Friday marks four weeks from the date of the hearing on June 3. It also wouldn't be that unusual for the Court to let the parties know that a ruling is imminent - to try to make one last run at settlement.

I don't think a ruling is coming in the next two weeks. But if the parties aren't very close to a deal by the end of next week, I think the possibility of an 8th Circuit ruling creeps back into the picture. Hopefully that will serve as a motivating factor for both sides (as it seems to have done a month ago).

Of course, this is also right around the time where the preseason schedule will begin to be impacted (mid-July). There's so much to lose in the next few weeks, they really need to work it out NOW.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom