Heartbroken for Dalton (1 Viewer)

Wins don't happen if you can't catch the damn ball. How many clutch wins would any QB have if it weren't for WR's catching the ball?
It's not rocket science.
It's funny how our most reliable players have become unreliable as the losses mount. It's not rocket science that nothing is inspiring about our head coach or QB. The locker room is gone, guys are just going through the motions.

It's funny how our most reliable players have become unreliable as the losses mount. It's not rocket science that nothing is inspiring about our head coach or QB. The locker room is gone, guys are just going through the motions.
You absolutely hit the nail on the head.

Dalton played his arse off tonight. He did everything right. Olave drops a key pass. Landry gets cute and drops a touchdown. Hill can't hang on to an absolutely perfect pass. Ingram can't even run for a first down (truly unreal). I can't believe they called a pass to "concrete hands" Callaway on 3rd and 1. He is an excellent QB playing on a team that simply will not back him up, will not rise to the occasion. It is a travesty.
I'll give Taysom a pass on his drop. Dude got SMASHED.

Yeah, Olave's drop was the only one that was an easy catch. I think a top-tier WR holds on to the Jarvis throw or the Taysom one on 3rd down. But neither were easy catches.

Didn't know the terrible 3rd and 1 playcall was a Dalton audible.
Audible was the wrong word. It was either a hot route or just the route on the other side of the field rather than what the play was designed for. Watched the replay of it several times and the fullback was wide open for an easy first down. Instead Dalton throws it to Callaway who had Tampa's top CB playing right in his face.

I give Carmichael a lot of sheet for his playcalling and matchups but he actually had the right call that would have gotten us a first down and it would have been enough to win us the game. I was too hasty earlier in saying Dalton didn't lose us the game. For the 'savy vet' who can read defenses, etc this was a monumentally stupid play that cost us a crucial first down and time off the clock.

Hill can't hang on to an absolutely perfect pass.

3. Taysom hangs on to the perfect throw

What's with all of this perfection talk?

Surely the pass got to Taysom, but the pass was thrown right on the path of the oncoming safety. I believe that's what's called a hospital ball.

And it's not like the ball hit Taysom in the numbers on stride. Taysom had to make a tough catch in the air.

And just a few yards to the right, Landry had nothing but daylight in front of him (maybe because Dalton stared at Taysom all the way), and Rashid had the CB's back and the sideline. And Dalton didn't see either.

Perfect pass.. pfff.

1670336779745.png

Last edited:
What's with all of this perfection talk?

Surely the pass got to Taysom, but the pass was thrown right on the path of the oncoming safety. I believe that's what's called a hospital ball.

And it's not like the ball hit Taysom in the numbers on stride. Taysom had to make a tough catch in the air.

And just a few yards to the right, Landry had nothing but daylight in front of him, and Rashid had the CB's back. And Dalton didn't see either.

Perfect pass.. pfff.

1670336779745.png
A hospital ball to a QB playing WR....What possibly can go wrong

Dalton lost this game. Period. Taking that Sack was the worst.
You’re wrong. That was a horrible play call/design… he can’t throw it away and stop the clock.

At bare min, he needed an outlet to avoid that sack cuz taking the sack was his only option with no receivers open.

I agree with the OP that Dalton played a very good game but he may have gone a little far on how good. 😂

Dalton was fine last night other than trying to throw that 3rd and 1 to Callahan.

Pete and DA lost this game. On that same 3rd and 1... it's gotta be Taysom up the middle. Then it's Taysom up the middle again on 4th and 1 if you have to. Should have been Taysom on 4th and 1 anyways. You're up 2 possessions in the 4th. Tom can make up the yardage gained from a short punt there in 2 plays. Go for the win! If Taysom doesn't get it two trys in a row then you live with that. Terrible Terrible TERRIBLE awareness by our coaches there!!

Audible was the wrong word. It was either a hot route or just the route on the other side of the field rather than what the play was designed for. Watched the replay of it several times and the fullback was wide open for an easy first down. Instead Dalton throws it to Callaway who had Tampa's top CB playing right in his face.

I give Carmichael a lot of sheet for his playcalling and matchups but he actually had the right call that would have gotten us a first down and it would have been enough to win us the game. I was too hasty earlier in saying Dalton didn't lose us the game. For the 'savy vet' who can read defenses, etc this was a monumentally stupid play that cost us a crucial first down and time off the clock.
Yeah, my mistake on the terminology. I also think one area where Dalton is weak that doesn't entirely show up on the stat sheet is his decision making.

Allen said last night that the play call was a bullet to the x. Dalton just went with the play call, called by Carmichael.

Andy is exactly what he was when we signed him and he has been as advertised. I think I will jump out a window if Andy is our day one QB1 in 2023.

Hearing Aikman and Buck talk about the coaches seeing Dalton as part of the solution and not the problem, if Allen returns next season, get ready for just that. Significant free agency upgrades at QB are pretty rare and as it currently stands, we aren't in good shape to draft a day one starter.

Dalton is somewhat of an enigma. Some of the numbers look solid but third down efficiency isn't good, the offense has had trouble sustaining drives and capitalizing in the red zone, and while I can appreciate the old axiom that if the ball hits the receiver in the hands, he has to catch it, situations are quite often a lot more nuanced than that.

The most glaring drop over the last two weeks was by Olave last night but he's a rookie and playing far enough ahead of the curve that I think we have to show some patience and understanding when he has a miscue. I can't be too critical of the rare mistakes he makes.

Last week, Johnson and Hill both dropped passes in the end zone. Those are backbreakers in a tight game and, yes, plays that have to be made. But...there was a level of difficulty to both of those catches that I think has been downplayed. The throw to Johnson was in his facemask, in tight double coverage. He needed to react quicker but that wasn't a gimme catch. The one to Hill required a midair adjustment and ended up going through his hands.

Dalton threw into triple coverage last night and got Hill clocked, getting the ball dislodged. It's a catch I'm sure that Hill will say he has to make, but it wasn't a gimme and it raises the question that given the coverage Hill was facing, if Dalton missed a better matchup. (Edit, see SystemShock's post above). He just overthrew Landry on what would have been a TD. That's the kind of play Landry has made before and it would have gone a long way to sealing the game, but it's also a pass where ball placement was unnecessarily off. That should have been an easy pitch and catch but the ball was thrown high.

Part of playing at this level is the expectation that guys will make tough plays when necessary but I think we also have to see that there isn't enough precision with this offense, especially at critical moments, and QB is at the center of that. Nobody is going to confuse Dalton or Winston with Brees or Brady, but it does make me appreciate what a difference passing accuracy makes. Brady put on a clinic in precision on those final two scoring drives while Dalton does just enough to muddy up thoughts about who, exactly, is to blame. No matter the differences of opinion about how that blame should get distributed, the net result is the offense simply isn't doing nearly enough to win games.

Allen said last night that the play call was a bullet to the x. Dalton just went with the play call, called by Carmichael.
Bruh. I just watched it too. He literally says it was initially a pass play to fullback in the flat. Andy thought he had a shot at the bullet to the X.

At bare min, he needed an outlet to avoid that sack cuz taking the sack was his only option with no receivers open.

I think that, at the bare minimum, without a WR to the right, Dalton should've noticed the D's load to the right, and either kill the play or call a time out to regroup. Or, even knowing the load was coming from his right, step out to the left.

1670339137852.png

But not only did he continue with the play, he just stood there, and turned the other way to stare at whoever he was going to throw the ball at. Then he acted surprised when the defender was coming free at him.

There is a lot of complicity on that sack, and Dalton played an important role in it.

Bruh. I just watched it too. He literally says it was initially a pass play to fullback in the flat. Andy thought he had a shot at the bullet to the X.
Maybe I misheard him. Either way, a freaking pass play should have never been an option. 3rd and 1, I have two plays to get 36 inches with 2 runs. I'll be damned if I punted to Brady at that point. What's 25-30 yards to Brady? Zilch, as we saw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom