Hebert’s Specialty Meats, opinions? ? or ?? (1 Viewer)

daMixter

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw that they will be opening a store in Destin. Checked their website, but it doen’t Really tell you much unless you want to order online. Andouille any good? Any other suggestions?

The only reason I go to Destin anymore is for shrimp and Best Buy. Will it be worth my time to check Herbert’s out when it opens? I cook a lot, and always need the andouille.

One in Houston, they have individually wrapped meat pies, crawfish pies, made with puff pastry. Bake from frozen. One of the best things I have ever eaten

Stuffed chickens are awesome as well.

One in Houston, they have individually wrapped meat pies, crawfish pies, made with puff pastry. Bake from frozen. One of the best things I have ever eaten

Stuffed chickens are awesome as well.

Now crayfish pie sounds awesome! Website says they did the original turduckin. Might actually try that now.

When I lived in Lafayette, we'd shop there at least once a month. Loved their meat and seafood pies. And their stuffed chickens were amazing. I know I can have the food shipped up here, but it's expensive to do so. If I had more disposable income, I'd definitely do it though.

When I lived in Lafayette, we'd shop there at least once a month. Loved their meat and seafood pies. And their stuffed chickens were amazing. I know I can have the food shipped up here, but it's expensive to do so. If I had more disposable income, I'd definitely do it though.

You're right about their boneless stuffed chickens. They are great. I do believe Hebert's came up with the first turducken. I brought one home to the family in New Orleans from Hebert's in the mid 80's I think. They all questioned the rationale of such a bizarre dish in lieu of the usual roasted turkey. Their opinions changed upon eating it.

My problem with the SW Louisiana "specialty meats" shops is their rubs on the non-poultry items like pork butts and briskets tend to be way too salty. That's the main reason I never use Tony Chacere's. It's more salt than quality spice mix. Just my opinion.

Just saw that they will be opening a store in Destin. Checked their website, but it doen’t Really tell you much unless you want to order online. Andouille any good? Any other suggestions?

The only reason I go to Destin anymore is for shrimp and Best Buy. Will it be worth my time to check Herbert’s out when it opens? I cook a lot, and always need the andouille.

I think that's the same outfit out of Pcola that goes by "Cajun Specialty Meats"

They recently changed it to Broussards, but I believe I heard they were doing quasi franchising with their products branded for others.

6 out of 10 on most stuff.

You're right about their boneless stuffed chickens. They are great. I do believe Hebert's came up with the first turducken. I brought one home to the family in New Orleans from Hebert's in the mid 80's I think. They all questioned the rationale of such a bizarre dish in lieu of the usual roasted turkey. Their opinions changed upon eating it.

My problem with the SW Louisiana "specialty meats" shops is their rubs on the non-poultry items like pork butts and briskets tend to be way too salty. That's the main reason I never use Tony Chacere's. It's more salt than quality spice mix. Just my opinion.

True regarding Tony's. I use it sparingly now. Too much salt. I'd rather just use plain Cayenne pepper. I'll occasionally add other spices depending on the dish, but Cayenne is the staple go to seasoning for our family.

The turducken is freaking amazing, although it's a bit pricey. Worth it if you got a good budget to work with.

Hebert's is generally poor quality. They use far too much black pepper and don't really know how to properly season anything.

As to Tony Chachere's original seasoning, it never was meant to be spicy. It says right on the box, use like salt. It is also meant as a pre-cook seasoning and not as a condiment although a lot of people use it that way.

If you want extra heat after using Tony's throw in some sliced fresh peppers like jalapeno or whatever you have handy.

. That's the main reason I never use Tony Chacere's. It's more salt than quality spice mix. Just my opinion.

True regarding Tony's. I use it sparingly now. Too much salt.

As to Tony Chachere's original seasoning, it never was meant to be spicy. It says right on the box, use like salt.

tony-chachere-creole-seasoning-more-spice.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom