Hebert Tuck rule? (1 Viewer)

I didn't. The main things I remember from the game were a blocked field goal TD (Johnnie Poe on the score, I think), a late Morten Andersen field goal to take the lead, and the 49ers trying desperately to get into field goal range when Tony Elliott kinda kicked the ball as they were trying to set it up and me being terrified the refs would call unsportsmanlike conduct on him and that would put the 49ers in field goal range (they did not).

I remember some things, but I bet no one remembers that tuck rule call.

I didn't. The main things I remember from the game were a blocked field goal TD (Johnnie Poe on the score, I think), a late Morten Andersen field goal to take the lead, and the 49ers trying desperately to get into field goal range when Tony Elliott kinda kicked the ball as they were trying to set it up and me being terrified the refs would call unsportsmanlike conduct on him and that would put the 49ers in field goal range (they did not).
I am doubting your vivid memory (we are about same age), but I believe it if you say so ;)

This doesn't mention my Tony Elliott memory, but it does back me up on the blocked field goal and Morten's late game winner! :)

Your memory is sharp, my man. I’ve been watching Saints games since the age of 7 (the 1982 season, to be exact). It was indeed Johnnie Poe who ran the blocked kick back. Reggie Sutton blocked the kick. The special teams was uncommonly good during Mora’s first five years or so. Scored many TDs on returns and blocked kicks.

My memory has been called "freakish" in the past. I also started watching in 1982 (at age 4). My main memory of that season is knowing we had to win vs ATL at the end of the season plus a bunch of other games had to go our way to make the playoffs. The last one was DET/GB (we needed DET to lose) and DET won a close one on a late TD. The first heartbreak.

Your memory is sharp, my man. I’ve been watching Saints games since the age of 7 (the 1982 season, to be exact). It was indeed Johnnie Poe who ran the blocked kick back. Reggie Sutton blocked the kick. The special teams was uncommonly good during Mora’s first five years or so. Scored many TDs on returns and blocked kicks.

But the tuck rule though...I remember when Brady got it. Who knew with Hebert? Then later, Brooks had a way of dropping the ball but never got a tuck rule call.

I remember the Tony Elliot "kick" very well. The announcers were certain it was intentional.

The Saints needed to pull out all stops to get over the hump vs. the Niners ... I was totally fine with chicanery :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom