Hello, Everyone! Packer Fan Back From The Dead. Ask Me Anything About This Week's Game! (1 Viewer)

what game plan does the Packers defense need to dial up to stop Matt Ryan? I feel like this game will be a gold ole fashioned shootout.

IceBowl - Welcome back. Some of us take hiatuses from time to time due to this or that but welcome back.

I believe that you will have a legion of black and gold Packer fans this Sunday. Personally, I love to see Rodgers succeed in Green Bay. When he was drafted, I think it is fair to say that he was not welcomed with the most open of arms due to the Brett Favre loyalty and I get that. But the man kept his head down and when his time came, he performed. Check that. He exceeded and helped bring a Lombardi to Green Bay.

Now with that said, do you think that if the Packers win the Super Bowl this year, will his legacy outshine that of Favre?

And yes, GO PACK GO!!

As others have said on here. Kentucky is definitely not "the south." Just because it's south of Green Bay doesn't mean it's THE south.

As others have said on here. Kentucky is definitely not "the south." Just because it's south of Green Bay doesn't mean it's THE south.

I'd say Kentucky is in the South. Not the Deep South, but still in the South. I pretty much consider them the Northern-most Southern state.

A bit of reading I did on this:
In the early days of pioneer settlement, Kentucky was considered the West. In the early 1800s, a leading newspaper in Lexington was called the Western Monitor. In the first half of the 19th Century, much of Kentucky’s economy resembled that of other Southern states. It had lucrative agricultural industries whose success depended on the evil institution of human slavery. In fact, hundreds of slaves were bought and sold on Cheapside, a couple of blocks from where we’re sitting.

During the Civil War, Kentucky was a bitterly divided border state — claimed by both sides, occupied by both sides and filled with people loyal to both sides. Central Kentucky in particular had many Southern sympathizers. In the election of 1860, Kentuckian Abraham Lincoln got fewer votes in Lexington than he had inlaws living here. Some of the top Confederates were from Kentucky, including Jefferson Davis and John C. Breckinridge, who also lived a few blocks from here.

Kentucky never officially seceded from the union, although a Confederate government was organized. Kentucky escaped Reconstruction. Yet, after the Civil War was over, many wealthy Kentuckians embraced the South’s lost cause with gusto. It probably had something to do with racism — and a lot more to do with their desire to market expensive horses and bourbon whiskey to outsiders with money. When it comes to Southern imagery, the Kentucky Colonel in a white linen suit, sipping mint juleps on the porch of his white-columned mansion, is hard to top.

The heart of this question, though, isn’t so much about Kentucky’s history as its culture. And this is where the argument gets heated. Is Kentucky Southern or Midwestern?

Officially, the Mason-Dixon line went along the Ohio River, putting Kentucky in the South. But are there other lines of demarcation we should consider? Does Kentucky have a cultural equivalent of Georgia’s gnat line? If you haven’t heard of the gnat line, it runs east-to-west somewhere vaguely south of Macon. Below the gnat line, the tiny insects will pester you all summer. Above the gnat line, though, you almost never see gnats.

A few of the people who commented on my blog this week had their own imaginary lines in mind. Or they wanted to look at Kentucky as a burgoo of influences. One of my favorite comments came from David Greer of the Kentucky Press Association, who wrote, “We have elements of Southern culture, Midwestern manufacturing and weather from all over creation.”

Several readers argued that parts of Louisville and Northern Kentucky were more Midwestern than Southern, perhaps owing to Ohio River commerce or the wave of European immigration to those cities in the late 1800s.

But others fought back. Churchill Downs, Midwestern? Please. And what are the words on that big water tower along I-75 in Northern Kentucky? Florence Y’all. It does not say Florence You Guys.

The overwhelming concensus of my blog’s readers was that Kentucky is a Southern state and should be proud of it. Readers cited several pieces of evidence:

Kentucky is latitudinally equivalent to Virginia, although we don’t still fight the Civil War on a daily basis, as some Virgnians do.
The University of Kentucky’s sports teams play in the Southeastern Conference.
Nothing is more Southern than fried chicken. And no fried chicken is more authentic than Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you don’t believe that, just ask anyone in China.
Readers’ opinions are backed up in a more scientific poll, which was conducted in 1999 by University of North Carolina sociologist John Shelton Reed. In that poll, 79 percent of Kentuckians thought the community in which they lived was in the South, and 68 percent of Kentuckians considered themselves Southerners.

To me, most of Kentucky seems decidedly Southern, especially the Jackson Purchase. In fact, far western Kentucky seems more like west Tennessee than it does the rest of Kentucky. And west Tennessee seems more like northern Mississippi than it does the rest of Tennessee. My mother is from the Jackson Purchase, and anyone who hears her voice will realize quickly that she is from the South.

John Egerton agrees that Kentucky is certainly a Southern state. Its music is Southern. Its religion is Southern. And, most of all, its food is Southern. And when it comes to Southern food, John is an expert.

In his speech at EKU, John suggested another sort of gnat line for determining this question. He quoted Robert “Old Bob” Taylor, the 19th Century Tennessee politician, as saying that the line between North and South was all about the temperature of fresh bread. Do people eat cold bread, or hot bread? Northerners eat bread cold. Southerners like fresh bread hot.

» Is Kentucky a Southern state? A followup. The Bluegrass and Beyond

Seems like GB defense played good against run and pass early but that monster O-line wore them out. Love how AR can throw on the run.
I personally worry when a QB uses his feet to much and becomes a RB as it leaves them open for big hits.

How do you see them slowing the clowns down.
I picture a game a lot like the girls game. D plays good early but eventually gets worn down.
Do you see it that way?

border_mason_dixon_line_map_us_census_bureau_boundary.jpg
It's literally next to Illinois and West VA, which I definitely don't consider the south. I know a lot of people in Kentucky like to pretend they're southern, but they're wrong.

It's literally next to Illinois and West VA, which I definitely don't consider the south. I know a lot of people in Kentucky like to pretend they're southern, but they're wrong.

Next to the southernmost tip of Illinois. I agree it's pretty far north to be part of the south, but it is what it is. The state most definitely has a different vibe than Illinois or any of its northern neighbors; one that is definitely southern by comparison. It's culture is what makes it southern in my mind since it's so far north. I always thought the Mason Dixon line was the line denoting north from south and KY is the northernmost state below the line.

I really don't care to get much farther into this discussion because it really doesn't matter to me. I just remember spending a good bit of time in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio and Kentucky definitely stood out among those states as being VERY different and only because they lived, talked, drank and acted like southerners.

Just beat dem dam DirtyBirds. Seriously, last weeks game was one of the best games I have seen in a long long time. The pass and catch at the end was unbelievable, but one that Rodgers makes look routine time and again. I think you need to be ready for a track meet, but I do believe the Packers can keep up with the Falcons and win one for Lombardi for the chance to get THE LOMBARDI.
Good Luck to your team Ice. I know most Saints fans will be behind the Packers this week.

Thank you for this conclusive evidence. But dude, according to this Maryland is also in the south. This is just wrong bro. Also I don't really consider Oklahoma to be the south either.

EDIT: And also Delaware? You kidding me? No way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom