Help... Home theater issue (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Vantage running my home theater. My living room has hdmi connection. When we watch direct TV sound comes thru speakers. But when we select Netflix or whatever, it does not. But it used to.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

So you have cable box -> Yamaha -> TV ?

The Yamaha can process the sound from the cable box, but it sounds like you don't have a way for the sound to go from the TV back to the Yamaha.

So you have cable box -> Yamaha -> TV ?

The Yamaha can process the sound from the cable box, but it sounds like you don't have a way for the sound to go from the TV back to the Yamaha.
Ahhh yes a genie. Ok I see the issue.

I thought it worked before but my oldest just reminded me the installer said since I have direct TV, anything outside that won't go thru speakers.

Thx

Ahhh yes a genie. Ok I see the issue.

I thought it worked before but my oldest just reminded me the installer said since I have direct TV, anything outside that won't go thru speakers.

Thx

Your TV probably has an optical out that you could run to your Yamaha, or get a fire box or Apple TV for streaming apps through the Yamaha.

I thought HDMI was bidirectional. Shouldnt the reciever get the sound from the TV over that same line? Might be a setting in the TV or reciever

I thought HDMI was bidirectional. Shouldnt the reciever get the sound from the TV over that same line? Might be a setting in the TV or reciever

Usually only one HDMI port is bidirectional, and the devices need to be compatible with that function to use it. I usually see it more for remote control features then actually passing a signal in both directions.

It sounds like you can run the DTV box to the receiver and then have the receiver send video out to the TV. That HDMI can be ARC (two way) and also send the TV's netflix audio back to the receiver for amplification. You're using a built in app in the TV for netflix, correct?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom