HELP!! I can't see my windows XP (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I am seriously considering entering a computer throwing competition. I spent three hours on the phone with microsoft support, made it through level 1 and 2. Then level 3 is supposed to call me tomorrow. I should have known to just hang up when an Indian guy name bob couldn't generate a case number because his computer locked up but I didn't.

It started when I was having problems with IE7 and it was clashing hard with my stock program. Anyway, I tried to uninstall IE7 and once I went to add and remove programs IE7 wouldn't fully uninstall because of a couple .dll files that the computer couldn't find in ie7.

I tried to to uninstall several different ways but failed. Then I tried to get online and download IE7 thinking maybe if I reinstalled it then the files would be added. Once online I didn't have a home button, favorites or a menu bar across the top. When I tried to download anything Internet explorer treated everything as a pop up and would not allow any window to pop. It even stopped the file locator window that pops up when you hit browse to attach a file.

From here I figured a system restore would fix the problem. After about a dozen restores I realized it wasn't going to do the trick.

The files that IE7 couldn't find were .dll files that had 000 behind them. I couldn't find any of the files in the computer until I took the 000 off the end. Once I started finding the files in system 32 I would rename the file to the file IE7 was missing, copying the file then pasting it into IE7. One by one I did this with the files and then I got IE7 to completely uninstall. For a brief moment I thought I was a genius. However, when uninstalling IE7 it requires a reboot. Now I can't get anything to load.

Now that I think about it, I should have changed the file names in system32 back to the original name after copying them into the IE7 folder. Since I didn't I can't get windows to boot.

Starting in safe mode doesn't work but I can get into dos. So is there a way I can open the system32 folder and change file names in DOS?

or

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Help would be extremely appreciated since this is my work computer and I can't invoice, accept credit cards or quote glass prices without this PC.

I tried to to uninstall several different ways but failed. Then I tried to get online and download IE7 thinking maybe if I reinstalled it then the files would be added. Once online I didn't have a home button, favorites or a menu bar across the top. When I tried to download anything Internet explorer treated everything as a pop up and would not allow any window to pop. It even stopped the file locator window that pops up when you hit browse to attach a file.

This is the most puzzling thing. I'm not even sure I understand what you're describing. So IE installed successfully (or so it reported) and then exhibited this behavior? Any sort of strange security/firewall settings?

Starting in safe mode doesn't work but I can get into dos. So is there a way I can open the system32 folder and change file names in DOS?

or

Does anyone have another suggestion?

This is where I'd be breaking out a DOS boot disk/cd that will allow me to mount my hard drive. A Knoppix (linux) DVD/CD has built in system tools that could help.

Sorry, not much help. I feel your pain though.

Wish I could help. You might want to move this thread to the Tech board and see who can walk you through it.

RCS

Yeah, was just trying to get some more views and hopefully an answer tonight so I'm not trying to run a business tomorrow without my glass programs, invoice program and credit card processor.

I doubt it happens but then again, SR never fails to amaze me.

This is the most puzzling thing. I'm not even sure I understand what you're describing. So IE installed successfully (or so it reported) and then exhibited this behavior? Any sort of strange security/firewall settings?

This is where I'd be breaking out a DOS boot disk/cd that will allow me to mount my hard drive. A Knoppix (linux) DVD/CD has built in system tools that could help.

Sorry, not much help. I feel your pain though.

I turned my antivirus, firewall and ad aware programs off before uninstalling. I have been running IE7 for more than a year. I just got frustrated because I was having problems when running multiple streaming programs which I use daily. Basically IE would just shut down a few times a day and my stock program would get knocked off line without me knowing it so I decided to roll back to IE6. When trying to uninstall IE7 this is where all the problems started. I googled some of the file names and found quite a few people having the same problems but never found a solution. I have literally been working on this since about 9am.

Seems like you're kind of in a catch-22 because everything I can think to suggest requires a browser to download something.

For example, if you're in a pickle and just need to get browser going for work you could download Firefox.

I'm still confused why you need IE in order to run all the other s/w necessary for business.

I did most of the stuff on that list before uninstalling because I have read about a lot of problems uninstalling ie7. The problem is I can't get into windows. My only hope is DOS.

Did you try BIOS ?

1.Try from a new user account.
2.while your system reboots tap on the key F8 on keyboard and try with Last known good configuration..
3.if u have ever used dial up then disable dial-up from internet options..

I did most of the stuff on that list before uninstalling because I have read about a lot of problems uninstalling ie7. The problem is I can't get into windows. My only hope is DOS.

Ouch. OK. I didn't realize Windows was totally TU.

Without access to boot disk that allows you to boot the machine totally independent from Windows (and thus not locking up system32) and then mount your local drive, I'm not sure what to do.

Did you try BIOS ?

1.Try from a new user account.
2.while your system reboots tap on the key F8 on keyboard and try with Last known good configuration..
3.if u have ever used dial up then disable dial-up from internet options..

Thats not BIOS, thats boot options menu.

XP does not use DOS.

Heres where your on quite the pickle. If you can get to a command prompt (looks like DOS, and hopefully you get there from pressing the F8 key at boot) you will have to navigate to the folder wher you want to work, and use the REN command. You will have to know exactly which files you changed, and change them back. Also undo any system file changes you made. This will take you a while, as im sure you guessed.

You can try booting using the Windows XP CD. Once there, you will want to try repairing the system.(follow the prompts. DO NOT do anything if you are uncertain of what you are doing) I would try this first before trying the above.

If successful, you may still have plenty of problems, like the IE7 one (incidentally, ive rarely had an issue uninstalling IE7) but hopefully, you'll be able to boot to the desktop and use your biz programs. You may want to evaluate if the system is so borked it will take forever to sort out, back up your data and reinstall windows, or you may just have a few issues to resolve.

Castlecops
Geekstogo forums

I'd recommend searching their forum and putting your question out there. My experience is if you're not asking about spyware their response time is much faster. If you're willing to stay up all night you'll probably be able to get some help.

Thats not BIOS, thats boot options menu.

XP does not use DOS.

Heres where your on quite the pickle. If you can get to a command prompt (looks like DOS, and hopefully you get there from pressing the F8 key at boot) you will have to navigate to the folder wher you want to work, and use the REN command. You will have to know exactly which files you changed, and change them back. Also undo any system file changes you made. This will take you a while, as im sure you guessed.

You can try booting using the Windows XP CD. Once there, you will want to try repairing the system.(follow the prompts. DO NOT do anything if you are uncertain of what you are doing) I would try this first before trying the above.

The command prompt is what I am in now. I was thinking that was DOS. I don't know the exact files I changed but it will be easy to spot them since I simply added .000 to the end of the 10 or so files I changed in system32.

How exactly can I to the system32 folder to find the files using command prompt.

Pure Energy, I tried launching from last known good configuration but it's a no go. I have tried from a all the user accounts I have set up, I also tried adding a new user and that didn't work. I have never used dial up.

Castlecops
Geekstogo forums

I'd recommend searching their forum and putting your question out there. My experience is if you're not asking about spyware their response time is much faster. If you're willing to stay up all night you'll probably be able to get some help.

The command prompt is what I am in now. I was thinking that was DOS. I don't know the exact files I changed but it will be easy to spot them since I simply added .000 to the end of the 10 or so files I changed in system32.

How exactly can I to the system32 folder to find the files using command prompt.

Pure Energy, I tried launching from last known good configuration but it's a no go. I have tried from a all the user accounts I have set up, I also tried adding a new user and that didn't work. I have never used dial up.

Its cool. it looks like DOS, so its easy to think it is. Once in the command prompt You should be in the C:/Documents and Settings/Username directory. You can type help, to get a list of commands. CD(change directory) is the command to change to a different file location. This is where im a little rusty I believe you type CD C: then CD C:/Windows then CD C:/Windows/System32 or something like that to navigate to the file where you want to work. Type DIR to get a complete list of all files and folders in that directory. Type DIR /P to make it go page by page.

Like I said it may be easire to just put in your disk and repair the basic system files.

List of Windows commands

http://www.ss64.com/nt/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom