Help, Just lost my work, (1 Viewer)

67Bndwagnfan

ID vs Ego
Reaction score
I lost a document I started last Wed. I saw the auto backup saving it. My computer just blanked out and restarted. Now when I open the doc it only has the work that started last Wed and not the rest. All in all, lost 18 to 20 pages and about 8 hours of work.

I've tried to reopen the doc and I've restarted my computer and it opens without the work since last Wed.

Any suggestions on how I can retrieve my lost data is greatly appreciated.

:no:

How do I get to those folders? I intially ran a search for the doc and only the old doc came up.

You need to go into Advanced Options and search "hidden files and folders" and (maybe) "system files".

Search for *.(file extension doc, xls, whatever). Then you can sort by modified date to find the most recent. Sometimes temporary files will be orphaned that will have your work in them. They may have a different name than what you are looking for.

Do you have Outlook with a journal? If so, you can look at all the docs you've been in each day.

Let's assume the doc was renamed somehow. You could try searching for all docs containing a specific word, some word that wouldn't be in a hundred other docs.

How about "restore"? Have you tried that?

I reviewed this and the solution is to watch the most recent Super Bowl.

Maybe I can get my supervisor and the auditors to watch it with me. I'll feed them Johnney Walker and we will all just forget about it and get lost in the euphoria of the greatest SuperBowl victory every.

That sounds good. Looks like it back to square 1 for me. Journey of a million mile starts with the first step.............errr key stroke in this case.

Dang, this blows. the gravity of the moment is sinking in on me.:no: :covri::rant::aargh::idunno: in just this sequence.

Not sure if this will help, but http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP101407291033.aspx

For future reference:
Save early and save often

The AutoRecover and AutoSave features are not a substitute for regularly saving your work by clicking Save . Manually saving your file is the surest way to preserve the work you have done.

Keyboard shortcut To save a file, press CTRL+S.

This is what Jesus does.
family-guy.jpg

Last edited:
You need to go into Advanced Options and search "hidden files and folders" and (maybe) "system files".

Search for *.(file extension doc, xls, whatever). Then you can sort by modified date to find the most recent. Sometimes temporary files will be orphaned that will have your work in them. They may have a different name than what you are looking for.

THIS.

If it autosaved, it's there. But you will not be able to see the file unless you turn on this option to see hidden files. Then you search under C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\Local Settings\Application Data\{87adueanreidhf8398394j}

Got 19 of 23 pages back. Thanks everyone, especially Buzd and LKNH20,

Went to advance search, put in the first two words of what I named it. Seached index and hidden files. Open an auto recoverd file with a asp. file name, used Word to open it. Got back 19 of 23 pages.

I have now backed away from the ledge

Expatriate, thanks but that like saying wear a condome after already having a nasty case of the clap.

Saintsfaninla, What I like about you is you always have jokes. I like that. Helps when you have a nasty case of the clap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom