Help me out with the rules. (1 Viewer)

Otis Henry

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The throw to Calvin Johnson where he beat MJ on the slant and ran it almost to a TD.

They said the play was not reviewable because the whistle blew the play dead.

Later, on the play where Bush's elbow hit the ground before the ball came out, the Lions were able to review it, even though the play was blown dead by the official; rendering both teams unable to go after the ball. Well, since the play was blown dead, the Saints didn't have a real chance to recover the fumble. Why would the refs automatically reward the ball to the Lions if it was shown to actually be a fumble?

Thanks in advance.

Probably due to the fact that the Lions players immediately jumped on the ball. It was not like it was sitting there after the whistle waiting to be picked up. The lions players were on the ball and in clear possession as the referee was pointing to the ground indicating down by contact. If that elbow had not been on the ground, and in review, deemed a fumble the ball would have gone to the Lions due to their clear recovery.

Mr. Henry, I just think it was a make up call. If you saw the CJ touchdown he was in bounds. Just alot of weird calls in the NFL,ya know. But I asked myself that same question during and after the game.

OK, so what if it was less clear who could have recovered it. It's basically telling both teams to play beyond the whistle. Is it the person that comes up with it after? Do the refs continue officiating an "active" play even after the whistle?

These are some very good questions.. Thank you Otis for bringing them up for those "in the know" to explain.

Probably due to the fact that the Lions players immediately jumped on the ball. It was not like it was sitting there after the whistle waiting to be picked up. The lions players were on the ball and in clear possession as the referee was pointing to the ground indicating down by contact. If that elbow had not been on the ground, and in review, deemed a fumble the ball would have gone to the Lions due to their clear recovery.

Thats correct. IIRC, they changed that part of the rule just in the last few years. Nothing more frustrating than a quick whistle by the ref. As long as the replay shows a clear recovery, the recovering team can be awarded possession.

OK, so what if it was less clear who could have recovered it. It's basically telling both teams to play beyond the whistle. Is it the person that comes up with it after? Do the refs continue officiating an "active" play even after the whistle?

If there is not a clear recovery on the play, the ball will be retained by whoever had it last.

edit: As far as playing beyond the whistle goes, I was always coached that a fumbled ball on the ground supercedes the whistle. Get the ball, FIRST.

Thats correct. IIRC, they changed that part of the rule just in the last few years. Nothing more frustrating than a quick whistle by the ref. As long as the replay shows a clear recovery, the recovering team can be awarded possession.

So there should be no flag for a late hit if, on the Bush fumble for example, Colston was running back from his route and hammered the Lions defender who was attempting to recover the fumble. The whistle was blown by the ref in the immediate vicinity so he might think the hit would be late. I guess it could be something like, if they give the football to the Lions, the flag would be picked up?

It's a new rule this year. If the ball comes loose while the play is being blown dead the players can recover it and have it count upon review even though the play was blown dead. The rule was enacted to help make sure the play is called correct even if the ref blows the whistle prematurely.

So there should be no flag for a late hit if, on the Bush fumble for example, Colston was running back from his route and hammered the Lions defender who was attempting to recover the fumble. The whistle was blown by the ref in the immediate vicinity so he might think the hit would be late. I guess it could be something like, if they give the football to the Lions, the flag would be picked up?

That would be a judgment call. And we all hate those.

The rule pertaining to the Johnson play, Once a player is ruled to have stepped out of bounds the play is over, so anything that happens after that point is irrelevant, which is why it was not reviewable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom